Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It wasn't? Why not? This guy is a 4th liner, who makes over $700,000/year and is often scratched, who embarrasses the team and his teammates and other families with idiotic and hurtful comments. Unfair? Please. He was paid more than he was worth to play a role, and instead, he was too stupid to realize how lucky he was. Now his luck has run out, and it is only his fault.

He was a pretty useful player for the Caps. Actually improved a lot compared to his performances with the Canucks. But his role shouldn't matter here anyway. His image of women is disgusting and that's why he's gone. I hope the Caps would have come to the same conclusion if it was somebody else.

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
He was a pretty useful player for the Caps. Actually improved a lot compared to his performances with the Canucks. But his role shouldn't matter here anyway. His image of women is disgusting and that's why he's gone. I hope the Caps would have come to the same conclusion if it was somebody else.
I defer to your assessment of his on ice performance. I also agree with your analysis, and would feel the same if any Penguin were to find himself in a similar situation. Caps did the right thing and they did it quickly, which is commendable.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Realistically if this hadn't happened wouldn't Leipsic be a healthy scratch if the League holds some kind of playoff?

Barring an injury to one of the twelve forwards in front of him or someone's play completely falling off a cliff, yes, Leipsic would have remained in the press box. The Caps were a different team after Kovalchuk's acquisition bumped Panik down to the fourth line and relegated Leipsic to nacho duty.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I would have preferred for the Capitals to have helped the guy become a better person.
Meh. He’s been on the team for what — 8mo or whatever? Why is it their responsibility to try and do that? They inherited his problems. They didn’t create them.

They aren’t his parents, they are his employers.

It’s also not like he came to them and send “hey, I think I need some help”, and then they dumped him.

we are all adults. All of us. If he gets his crap together then maybe he will get another chance somewhere. But it’s a privilege. Not a right.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Funny i must have missed the ruling from the SC that says that because you are in the public that anything goes. Your home, mind and words are never private even behind closed doors and password locked conversations. He didnt give up his expectation and more importantly his RIGHT to privacy. Others have decided they didnt like him and broke the law to get their way.

You can't stand by and say burn BL but the person who broke actual laws gets a pass. Thats madness at its finest.

I’ll just add this to a point made above....in a previous job I had the opportunity to read the contracts of an NBA and NFL player. What was written in there blew my mind in terms of what was considered “conduct detrimental to the team”, or how they were required and expected to act in public. Violation of those stipulations being a fireable offense.

putting aside the social commentary as to what’s acceptable “boys talk”, that’s a different discussion. It’s in black and white what a professional athlete can and cannot do once they sign on the dotted line. If they do, what’s considered by the organization/league, to be off limits they’re subject to being fired. End of story.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
How though? It's obviously a character issue. Difficult to solve...

Mentoring? Counseling? Training? Community service?

Lots of ways - all of which are better than abandonment.

I agree that the Caps don't have to do any of those things. No employer does. But I just think it would have been nice if they did.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
There are a lot of assumptions being made.

We assume this was an isolated incident.
We assume the Caps had “no idea” that he was this way in “private”
We assume that he hasn’t been in any sort of counseling in his career.
We assume that the team “had his back” right up until this occurred, and then turned on him.

We assume ...... a lot.

Perhaps this young man is just a hard person to be around at this stage of his life, and the team knows it. They weren’t going to re-up him anyway, and the was the fastest way for him to start to get in with the next chapter of his life.

We don’t know. And let’s not pretend we should know. There are a lot of layers here. And we don’t know hardly any of them.

I honestly think that if he was a really good dude who got caught up in some “boys lockerroom talk” that wasn’t serious or part of his fabric, the team (and just ONE teammate) would have risen to his defense and stated as such. We always see “that’s not the guy I know every day” type commentary when negative personal events happen to players.

With Leispic? Not ONE single quote (at least that I have seen) of any current or past teammates sticking up for him.

Isn’t that more damning than anything, for the “Poor Brendan — it Was A Private Conversation, the team turned on him at his ultimate time of need!” brigade??

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

We assume that the team “had his back” right up until this occurred, and then turned on him.

We assume ...... a lot.

Perhaps this young man is just a hard person to be around at this stage of his life, and the team knows it. They weren’t going to re-up him anyway, and the was the fastest way for him to start to get in with the next chapter of his life.

We don’t know. And let’s not pretend we should know. There are a lot of layers here. And we don’t know hardly any of them.

I honestly think that if he was a really good dude who got caught up in some “boys lockerroom talk” that wasn’t serious or part of his fabric, the team (and just ONE teammate) would have risen to his defense and stated as such. We always see “that’s not the guy I know every day” type commentary when negative personal events happen to players.

With Leispic? Not ONE single quote (at least that I have seen) of any current or past teammates sticking up for him.

Isn’t that more damning than anything, for the “Poor Brendan — it Was A Private Conversation, the team turned on him at his ultimate time of need!” brigade??

You know...he could have been as hypocritical as it gets and acted as if he was the nicest dude on earth...after what came out nobody was gonna stick up for him anyway because that would also mean defending or even sharing his image of women. I hope that there are no other time travellers from the dark ages on the team anyway...but even if, they surely wouldn't risk the shitstorm they'd get for sticking up for Leipsic.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Mentoring? Counseling? Training? Community service?

Lots of ways - all of which are better than abandonment.

I agree that the Caps don't have to do any of those things. No employer does. But I just think it would have been nice if they did.

This isn't a guy like Kuzy that had a substance problem. He attacked his teammates. He not only attacked his teammates but the players he would be expected to skate with if he played.
To try and make him a better person they would have had to force the players to accept him. If Ov came to MacLellan and told him that the consensus in the locker room is that Leipsic isn't welcome, you would force that and all the distraction on top of it?

We also cant know if he was already a problem in the locker room. I am skeptical that this behavior just came out of the blue.

He wasn't abandoned. He was shit canned. His costs far outweighted his value. To deal with the media shitstorm coming if he returned, the players were going to have to want him back and he was going to have to deliver in the games and he hasn't been.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

We assume ...... a lot.

I assume this wasn't an isolated incident, and he was pretty far down a fairly stupid path. And I do find it telling that nobody is stepping forward to defend him.

I think the Capitals (unlike the Redskins) have demonstrated a pattern of good decision making, so putting some weight in their judgement is also reasonable.

I think you make fair points here.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You know...he could have been as hypocritical as it gets and acted as if he was the nicest dude on earth...after what came out nobody was gonna stick up for him anyway because that would also mean defending or even sharing his image of women. I hope that there are no other time travellers from the dark ages on the team anyway...but even if, they surely wouldn't risk the shitstorm they'd get for sticking up for Leipsic.

I'll just quibble, I think you can defend the person against being canceled without agreeing with his stupid views. Just a little perspective - we're not talking about a sexual assault or a rapist or pedo or anything here. A young guy saying stupid things should not be an irredeemable offense.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This isn't a guy like Kuzy that had a substance problem. He attacked his teammates. He not only attacked his teammates but the players he would be expected to skate with if he played.

I really have no idea what the context is around those comments. I'd be more inclined to interpret them as facetious.

txpd said:
To try and make him a better person they would have had to force the players to accept him. If Ov came to MacLellan and told him that the consensus in the locker room is that Leipsic isn't welcome, you would force that and all the distraction on top of it?

We also cant know if he was already a problem in the locker room. I am skeptical that this behavior just came out of the blue.

He wasn't abandoned. He was shit canned. His costs far outweighted his value. To deal with the media shitstorm coming if he returned, the players were going to have to want him back and he was going to have to deliver in the games and he hasn't been

Yeah, I don't know how the players feel. I don't think it needs to be a big distraction anyway. Apologize sincerely, answer questions, move on. Besides, right at the moment, this would be distracting from what exactly?

I seriously doubt this behavior came out of the blue.

I am not a fan of the calculus in your third paragraph - practical and realistic as it may be. I just hate the concept that a star player gets away with way more serious transgressions (like whatever Patrick Kane or Ben Roethlisberger did) whereas a lesser player is held to a much higher moral standard. I see the benefits of holding on to the more valuable player, I just don't see the huge downside of extending those practices to lesser players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I really have no idea what the context is around those comments. I'd be more inclined to interpret them as facetious.

Yeah, I don't know how the players feel. I don't think it needs to be a big distraction anyway. Apologize sincerely, answer questions, move on. Besides, right at the moment, this would be distracting from what exactly?

I seriously doubt this behavior came out of the blue.

I am not a fan of the calculus in your third paragraph - practical and realistic as it may be. I just hate the concept that a star player gets away with way more serious transgressions (like whatever Patrick Kane or Ben Roethlisberger did) whereas a lesser player is held to a much higher moral standard. I see the benefits of holding on to the more valuable player, I just don't see the huge downside of extending those practices to lesser players.

YOU don't think it needs to be a big distraction? How many pages is the thread on the mains? It is already a distraction. Lesser players are worth less and easier to replace. Its simple. Leipsic wasn't even dressing for games anymore. I will leave it at his. I am confident that the players controlled this issue. This mess isn't no big deal with the locker room but a death penalty from Dick Patrick. If the players like the guy and want him in their group, he would be. If Ov told MacLellan, they wanted him out, that is what happened. Does that change your point of view if it was feedback from the roster to the leadership group?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'll just quibble, I think you can defend the person against being canceled without agreeing with his stupid views. Just a little perspective - we're not talking about a sexual assault or a rapist or pedo or anything here. A young guy saying stupid things should not be an irredeemable offense.

you’re right, but his redemption will have to happen someplace else.

what teammates want a guy like that back?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

that’s simply not true. Many many many players in all pro sports have done some really really awful things, and teammates stick up for them. It happens a lot. Google it.

I know you are very caught up on the social implications on women here, and the statement it makes about this player and his feelings towards women. He may truly believe these things and you see right. Or he may have just wanted to impress some people and try and act a way that he thought was “cool”. I’m not sure, as I don’t know. I do also understand many people would be upset by his comments. Which I can agree with.

I need to be clear though. I think the Caps are making a referendum on this player. That’s obvious. Reading into anything else is conjecture, regardless your personal opinions.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That's where I disagree. He was having a private conversation among a select group of friends. He was using a specific channel that is common in modern society. He should be able to have a private conversation as the platform is meant to be used and not have that content splattered everywhere for anyone to read.

He's definitely a victim here, and most people are afraid to say that. Sad society we've created.
A victim? LOL. What an eye roll. Good Lord man.

He’s a victim in the same way cheating spouse getting caught by a hired PI is a victim.

“Victim” or not, he’s an idiot. Dumb as a post. Go watch “worlds dumbest criminals”. They are all victims too. LOL

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
that’s simply not true. Many many many players in all pro sports have done some really really awful things, and teammates stick up for them. It happens a lot. Google it.

Can't think of a similar case where that happened. At least not in hockey. Watson maybe but I'm not aware of any support he might have received from teammates.

I know you are very caught up on the social implications on women here, and the statement it makes about this player and his feelings towards women. He may truly believe these things and you see right. Or he may have just wanted to impress some people and try and act a way that he thought was “cool”. I’m not sure, as I don’t know. I do also understand many people would be upset by his comments. Which I can agree with.

Maybe I'm missing the point but aren't those two things exactly the same? You need to truly believe that bullshit to think that misogynistic comments are cool...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Can't think of a similar case where that happened. At least not in hockey. Watson maybe but I'm not aware of any support he might have received from teammates.

Maybe I'm missing the point but aren't those two things exactly the same? You need to truly believe that bullshit to think that misogynistic comments are cool...

no. It’s not the same at all. People say things all the time that they don’t really believe, to try and fit in to whatever group they want to be a part of.

again, that’s happened throughout history. You can find loads of examples.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Can't think of a similar case where that happened. At least not in hockey.

I think it depends on the definition of really, really awful, but Kuznetsov embarrassed the entire team. His teammates backed him up. As opposed to the entire Karlsson/Hoffman locker room mess in Ottawa. Leipsic tossed a grenade into a very tight locker room. You don't get to do that.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I love it, apparently if you disagree with what Leipsic did, you either live in a glass house or you’re a privacy hater.

Cry all you want about privacy...assuming privacy on a platform you can’t control is what naive people do before they get burned.

Privacy is a massive concern in the world, but if your fallback defense is “it was supposed to be private”, you don’t get it...plain and simple.

Also, the need to assert that women talk this way as well, is akin to a 3rd grade, “but Johnny did it first” defense to me.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
From USA Today, Dec. 2019: Engaging women at all levels has been a strategy for good reason. Roughly 40% of NHL fans are women, and girls and women’s hockey is growing three times faster than men’s hockey. "It is smart business for us to be looking at how to grow our sport through the lenses of girls and women,” Davis said.

It's not just a bad look to talk this way about women, it's bad business. I doubt the team or his teammates (or the league, which surely weighed in) wanted to take the goodwill hit that comes from being seen as tolerating this in any fashion. If the guy didn't know that in 2020 this stuff is indefensible in any context, he's learning it the hard way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad