Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
The whole it should be private is a stupid argument.

it got out. It’s not private. It’s not his fault they leaked most likely, but he did say it in a group on the internet and here you go.

if I do some stupid act in private, but it gets out, it’s not private anymore. You can’t just say, oh well, I had only meant my cannibalism to be in private and now that you know you can’t punish me.

Yeah so the person who actually broke a law or three by invading his private personal conversation and spreading it online so that person can feel like a superior human being (when they are in reality a thieving piece of dogshit)
Is completely right and forgiven? Nicr triple standard but thats par for the course nowadays.

Conparing some comments to murdering and eating someone.. yeah that's not stretching things to fit a narrative at all. Good day

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My argument had nothing to do with the first amendment so, yeah, exaggerations still fits.

Others are saying it. You can ignore the words "first amendment" and read the rest, right? Same concept.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I wouldn't punish him because the messages going public are punishment enough. It would however be an opportunity for the NHL to release a statement saying that it will not tolerate such a behaviour or mindset and that it will ban players failing to realize that we're living in the 21st century.

Austin Watson should have never played another game of pro hockey after what he did. Period. The fact that the league reduced his suspension is only gonna encourage idiots like Leipsic that their image of women isn't necessarily wrong. Again, pro hockey players should be role models and if they're not able to be role models, they might as well look for another job. Nobody is perfect and you have to look past certain things but there are lines that shouldn't get crossed. The NHL should take immediate action or there will be much more trouble...as in other American pro sport leagues.

I don't know who Austin Watson is, but I will definitely read up about him to see what you are talking about.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The whole it should be private is a stupid argument.

it got out. It’s not private. It’s not his fault they leaked most likely, but he did say it in a group on the internet and here you go.

if I do some stupid act in private, but it gets out, it’s not private anymore. You can’t just say, oh well, I had only meant my cannibalism to be in private and now that you know you can’t punish me.

People who are claiming outrage about his comments are the problem. That's the domino in the equation.

Most sensible people would see it for what it is. A guy talking nonsense to his buddies. Some rude comments? Yes. End of the world? Nope.

Everyone who says they are outraged should be forced to submit all communications for review by the public so we can all pick out the various comments that person has made that offends you personally. Everyone will be fired and we'll all be happy in our safe space.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People who are claiming outrage about his comments are the problem. That's the domino in the equation.

Most sensible people would see it for what it is. A guy talking nonsense to his buddies. Some rude comments? Yes. End of the world? Nope.

Everyone who says they are outraged should be forced to submit all communications for review by the public so we can all pick out the various comments that person has made that offends you personally. Everyone will be fired and we'll all be happy in our safe space.

So you're outraged over the outrage.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, if you think saying degrading things about women is ok, then you’re part of the problem and part of the reason culture like that is continuing to exist. The Capitals organization can’t just pass it off as lockeroom talk. Women do make up a demographic that is critical for a sport that’s not exactly the most popular nor able to just pass off idiocy, even originally done in private.

As for equating cannibalism to this, yes, it’s an exaggeration, but the idea that something done in private should be immune from punishment is the ridiculous part. Leipsic is a public figure. He represents the organization as long as he takes a paycheck. That means anything he does is subject to criticism of himself and the org. If he does something even if he didn’t want it to get out, and it does, then he’s subject to the decisions of the organization. There’s no “well I didn’t want you to see that I’m a complete idiot, and now that you did you can’t punish me”. Most likely, there’s a morality clause in his contract. Even if their wasn’t, I think most lockerooms don’t want guys who act like idiots in there if they can help it.

It is hypocritical, because yes more people do it. But I’m not being paid to play sports that kids and women are fans of. I do work a job that if texts like this got out, I would be put on leave if not fired, but please act like this isn’t the reality of being an adult.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Just hate hypocrites. I guarantee people who are calling Brendan a misogynist have texts where they bag on a dude who drives a crap car. Especially ladies who seem to have an appetite for hockey players.

That eliminates all but maybe 2 % yops of the population that has never said something considered mean or rude by someone else. By this cultures thinking 98% of the world deserves to loose their job and everything.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I mean, if you think saying degrading things about women is ok, then you’re part of the problem and part of the reason culture like that is continuing to exist. The Capitals organization can’t just pass it off as lockeroom talk. Women do make up a demographic that is critical for a sport that’s not exactly the most popular nor able to just pass off idiocy, even originally done in private.

As for equating cannibalism to this, yes, it’s an exaggeration, but the idea that something done in private should be immune from punishment is the ridiculous part. Leipsic is a public figure. He represents the organization as long as he takes a paycheck. That means anything he does is subject to criticism of himself and the org. If he does something even if he didn’t want it to get out, and it does, then he’s subject to the decisions of the organization. There’s no “well I didn’t want you to see that I’m a complete idiot, and now that you did you can’t punish me”. Most likely, there’s a morality clause in his contract. Even if their wasn’t, I think most lockerooms don’t want guys who act like idiots in there if they can help it.

Funny i must have missed the ruling from the SC that says that because you are in the public that anything goes. Your home, mind and words are never private even behind closed doors and password locked conversations. He didnt give up his expectation and more importantly his RIGHT to privacy. Others have decided they didnt like him and broke the law to get their way.

You can't stand by and say burn BL but the person who broke actual laws gets a pass. Thats madness at its finest.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just hate hypocrites. I guarantee people who are calling Brendan a misogynist have texts where they bag on a dude who drives a crap car. Especially ladies who seem to have an appetite for hockey players.

I would wager that everyone has said something -- be it in person, over the phone, or digitally via text or social media -- that could be construed as offensive or hurtful to someone, so I get your point, but the facts are that Leipsic is a professional athlete with an elevated platform in a sport that historically has struggled with racism, sexism, etc, and his comments were put on public display for all to see. Regardless of whether or not you feel bad for him that his expectation of privacy was compromised, he chose to say those things (repeatedly, not just once) and he chose to put them in writing, and now that they're out -- regardless of how they got out -- the team and league had to do damage control.

This happens all the time in every walk of life in Corporate America. Execs are unceremoniously let go if comments that paint the company in a bad light are released even if that person worked for the company for 40 years and started as a mail room clerk and worked his way up to CEO. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and if you damage the brand in a way that could ostracize customers, investors, and fellow employees then yeah, your ass is going to be put out on the curb.

Also, for those saying this would never happen if it was Ovi or someone else... no shit. One, they're more important to the success of the business, so the team is more willing to fight the PR fight and two, guys like Ovi who have been around for a long time have become entrenched in the community. They've donated tons of money and time and have created a rapport with the fans and the community. They can withstand a poor judgment in the court of public opinion because they have a lot of goodwill credits in the proverbial bank. Leipsic is a journeyman who is a healthy scratch so he was deemed easily dispensable. If anything, you should be thinking what an idiot this guy is for having those conversations over a traceable medium because he knows he's hanging on by a thread and needs to stay on the straight and narrow in order to hopefully stick in the League.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You might want to read up on constitutional law and actual Supreme Court cases before trying to say you can’t get punished for things said in private. If they come out, even if you didn’t intend them, you are not protected. Similarly, employers have the right to protect their assets.

the Capitals are a private employer. They can terminate a contract for their best interest.

This is going nowhere. We have people actually trying to defend his comments as valid and others just trying to stir it up. I’m out on it. He’s an idiot and deserved to be cut. He’s not the first and won’t be the last. It’s part of the deal in being a public figure with a job that has morality clauses and economics to consider. If his talent is good enough, he’ll get another shot. If not, then so be it.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
In these times, I imagine that the NHLPA and/or the teams themselves spend a bit of time with all the players going over what's safe to say and do in public and on social media, and providing examples of inappropriate behavior. The league minimum is at least five times what most persons earn per year, and teams need to protect their investments, so even a guy like Leipsic - replaceable tho' he may be - is an asset at a point in time during the season whose departure would come with costs. Luckily for the Caps, with the season in limbo, the cost at present of letting him go is zero (compared to the real cost of keeping him).

Also ... it seems that the Caps' board has a few new posters, at least I'm seeing a bunch of names that are not familiar. Maybe that's what happens when their home teams are not making headlines. Or do Leipsic's extended family or his mates have HF accounts?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Would be nice to get more accounts hacked to get rid of more dbugs, but I guess, after this incident, they went in a hurry to delete everything inappropriate. So league is still stuck with them.
Not saying releasing BL was the wrong call but I think quite a few fan favorites on this team would have group chats with similar conversations.

It's just common with people in this age group, especially "good looking" athletes.

Reactions: shtorm2005

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I would wager that everyone has said something -- be it in person, over the phone, or digitally via text or social media -- that could be construed as offensive or hurtful to someone, so I get your point, but the facts are that Leipsic is a professional athlete with an elevated platform in a sport that historically has struggled with racism, sexism, etc, and his comments were put on public display for all to see. Regardless of whether or not you feel bad for him that his expectation of privacy was compromised, he chose to say those things (repeatedly, not just once) and he chose to put them in writing, and now that they're out -- regardless of how they got out -- the team and league had to do damage control.

This happens all the time in every walk of life in Corporate America. Execs are unceremoniously let go if comments that paint the company in a bad light are released even if that person worked for the company for 40 years and started as a mail room clerk and worked his way up to CEO. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and if you damage the brand in a way that could ostracize customers, investors, and fellow employees then yeah, your ass is going to be put out on the curb.

Also, for those saying this would never happen if it was Ovi or someone else... no shit. One, they're more important to the success of the business, so the team is more willing to fight the PR fight and two, guys like Ovi who have been around for a long time have become entrenched in the community. They've donated tons of money and time and have created a rapport with the fans and the community. They can withstand a poor judgment in the court of public opinion because they have a lot of goodwill credits in the proverbial bank. Leipsic is a journeyman who is a healthy scratch so he was deemed easily dispensable. If anything, you should be thinking what an idiot this guy is for having those conversations over a traceable medium because he knows he's hanging on by a thread and needs to stay on the straight and narrow in order to hopefully stick in the League.

I don't blame the Caps or the NHL. They will do what the money tells them to do.

I'm just making a comment on society in general. The reason Brendan is now unemployable in hockey and maybe period, is because we created this horrific culture where people are judged for every word they use. Even when they are said in private, as was this case.

Most people would probably read this story, and just say "rude comments, who cares?" Acting like it's some microcosm for women's rights or equitable treatment is nauseating IMO.

And if the Caps want to bend over to political correctness, I get it. It's fine. But the bigger problem to me is every person who now tweets some comment acting like they know Brendan as a person and can pass judgment on him. Because that's what now snowballs and makes it so a company like the Washington Capitals has to bend over to political correctness. Meanwhile I would bet tons of money that many of the people who are saying I would never associate myself with anything that has Brendan's name on it, likely have many texts where they are saying equally rude things.

People should go back to not being so sensitive about every little thing.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I once got pulled over for 70 in a 65, it felt really unfair because there are many people driving much faster who presumably didn't get pulled over. Similarly, Leipsic is hardly the only NHL player who says nasty things in a private setting... that being said, when you reflect poorly on your employer, they have every right to terminate you. When you are a borderline player, DON'T TAKE RISKS with your social media accounts... teams will easily decide that you are expendable.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't doubt that many people outraged over his comments are hypocrites. But the thing is, you can be a hypocrite and still be right.

Maybe one day those people will exposed. Maybe they won't. It's not relevant to whether or not Leipsic should be on this team.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The NHL is going down a slippery slope. This was easy, its a disposable 4th liner that nobody is going to care about. What if this happens again with a star player? Imagine if this were Ovie, or Crosby, or McDavid, etc. Ill tell you what will happen, they wont terminate his contract, and then you are going to be in a place where the NFL is, which is a PR disaster when it comes to discipline.

And just to be clear, I am no way shape or form defending this guy, I'm just saying its a slippery slope.

Reactions: Hinterland

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I once got pulled over for 70 in a 65, it felt really unfair because there are many people driving much faster who presumably didn't get pulled over. Similarly, Leipsic is hardly the only NHL player who says nasty things in a private setting... that being said, when you reflect poorly on your employer, they have every right to terminate you. When you are a borderline player, DON'T TAKE RISKS with your social media accounts... teams will easily decide that you are expendable.

Agree with everything you said. I remember back in high school listening to some of the hockey players go on in class about the hazing, stories about women etc. This is tame compared to those. He's just the first guy to get caught being asshole.

Reactions: discobob

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I don't blame the Caps or the NHL. They will do what the money tells them to do.

I'm just making a comment on society in general. The reason Brendan is now unemployable in hockey and maybe period, is because we created this horrific culture where people are judged for every word they use. Even when they are said in private, as was this case.

Most people would probably read this story, and just say "rude comments, who cares?" Acting like it's some microcosm for women's rights or equitable treatment is nauseating IMO.

And if the Caps want to bend over to political correctness, I get it. It's fine. But the bigger problem to me is every person who now tweets some comment acting like they know Brendan as a person and can pass judgment on him. Because that's what now snowballs and makes it so a company like the Washington Capitals has to bend over to political correctness. Meanwhile I would bet tons of money that many of the people who are saying I would never associate myself with anything that has Brendan's name on it, likely have many texts where they are saying equally rude things.

People should go back to not being so sensitive about every little thing.

100% agree that society would be better if people didn't seem to revel in others misfortunes or to use seemingly every situation to extrapolate to larger societal issues. Online reactions seem geared toward finding examples that can be used to serve a larger point rather than just treating a person like a person. In addition, there is next to NO humility - i.e. every is willing to scream loudly about the ills of others while willfully ignoring all the times they have fallen short.

All that being said, the Caps are an entertainment organization and are in the business of selling tickets, marketing the team, and keeping fans... their reaction was the right one.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The NHL is going down a slippery slope. This was easy, its a disposable 4th liner that nobody is going to care about. What if this happens again with a star player? Imagine if this were Ovie, or Crosby, or McDavid, etc. Ill tell you what will happen, they wont terminate his contract, and then you are going to be in a place where the NFL is, which is a PR disaster when it comes to discipline.

And just to be clear, I am no way shape or form defending this guy, I'm just saying its a slippery slope.

But thats never going to happen because all 3 of those guys cited -- OV, Crobsy and McDavid -- are class acts who would NEVER put themselves in that kind of position.

Reactions: Ed Wood

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Not saying releasing BL was the wrong call but I think quite a few fan favorites on this team would have group chats with similar conversations.

It's just common with people in this age group, especially "good looking" athletes.
I think it comes down to how your colleagues react to these conversations. A team a full of BL wouldn't mind to keep working with one of like them. It's not the case with Caps. In hockey, when one player is not supported, he quickly becomes cancer in the locker room. And that's what Caps wanted to avoid. Not because everyone outside the team didn't like his messages. It explains why Hathaway and Kuzy are still with the team and BL is not.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad