Player Discussion Brendan Guhle

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He does seem to get overwhelmed when he gets pressured in his own zone, but I like his skating ability and I also really like how willing he is to shoot from the point, even if he doesn't have the strongest shot.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's fast north and south but I think he needs to work on his agility other directions

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I like him a lot. This is what a defenseman looks like in the modern NHL.

If you're expecting your defensemen to make people terrified to go to the front of the net and be flawless with the puck, you're gonna be disappointed. He's never gonna be that guy, and if you harp on the one or two bad turnovers per game, you'll always have those with him.

But he's gonna make plays that no one else can make, he's gonna put pressure on other teams with his skating, and he's gonna be in position where slower guys can do everything right but still not get there the way he can. As long as you can live with his plays made equalling his plays blown (or hopefully eventually exceeding), you'll be happy with him.

I don't see him as a top pairing guy ever, but he should go from playing second pairing by default to a strong second pairing guy with experience.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I thought he was awesome last game and showed his upside. He made a few mistakes where he just wasnt playing confidently and patiently but he also did so many things very well. His shot and speed are really weapons.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Like his play so far, yet so early in the season hard to say once other teams start picking up more film on him it could become interesting. Anxious to see how he does against the Penguins.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s a great skater with a good first pass and is great at getting his shot through. I don’t like his defensive hockey sense and don’t think he has the greatest vision in the offensive zone.

He’s certainly not close to being a top 4 defenseman yet. He’s had some pretty wtf moments and has been heavily sheltered with our second best Dman as his defensive partner.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He’s a great skater with a good first pass and is great at getting his shot through. I don’t like his defensive hockey sense and don’t think he has the greatest vision in the offensive zone.

He’s certainly not close to being a top 4 defenseman yet. He’s had some pretty wtf moments and has been heavily sheltered with our second best Dman as his defensive partner.

He showed pretty good vision skating the puck into the offensive zone and making a nice drop pass - leading to a point blank shot. I agree he's a work in progress - some wtf moments, particularly when making passes from the d-zone - but it amazes me people are prepared to make such firm judgments (like hockey sense) for a relatively young inexperienced player.

Montour was 3 years older, yet people on this board were convinced he had more development him - perhaps with some justification. Guhle has plenty of upside left at 22 and it just silly to draw any real conclusions based on the 10 or so games he's played as a duck (some of those while injured).

By comparison, Manson made it to the NHL at 23 and didn't really shine until he was 25-26. It may be the same with Guhle - we won't know for a few seasons what his full potential is. The real question is whether he's showing development/improvement even with the expected hiccups.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He showed pretty good vision skating the puck into the offensive zone and making a nice drop pass - leading to a point blank shot. I agree he's a work in progress - some wtf moments, particularly when making passes from the d-zone - but it amazes me people are prepared to make such firm judgments (like hockey sense) for a relatively young inexperienced player.

Montour was 3 years older, yet people on this board were convinced he had more development him - perhaps with some justification. Guhle has plenty of upside left at 22 and it just silly to draw any real conclusions based on the 10 or so games he's played as a duck (some of those while injured).

By comparison, Manson made it to the NHL at 23 and didn't really shine until he was 25-26. It may be the same with Guhle - we won't know for a few seasons what his full potential is. The real question is whether he's showing development/improvement even with the expected hiccups.

I’m not saying Guhle is done developing at all. I bring up Hockey sense because it is something that rarely develops much after a guy was drafted, generally players have played enough hockey by the age of 18-19 that their hockey sense is what it is - I’ve rarely seen someone make massive strides in this area after the age of 20. Guhle is going to improve at lots of little things - battling along the boards, using his body to protect the puck in certain situations and some of his physical traits will no doubt improve also.

Manson is somewhat of an exception but he was a guy who played forward until he was 18. He switched to D the year he was drafted and had a much steeper development curve because of the late transition.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
There was a play in the second period tonight where a Penguins forward got behind the entire defense and received a pass just inside the blue line. Guhle looked beat by a stride and a half. Then three steps later he was even with the guy and broke up the play. That's what his skating can do. Any other defenseman on the team in that spot, and that guy is gone. It covers up the mistake of letting him get behind you to begin with.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Anyone else see the irony in Fowler grooming Guhle as his eventual successor? Impossible to say what transpires between now and the summer of 2021 but Anaheim protecting Lindholm, Manson, and Guhle in the Seattle expansion draft is a very real possibility.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Anyone else see the irony in Fowler grooming Guhle as his eventual successor? Impossible to say what transpires between now and the summer of 2021 but Anaheim protecting Lindholm, Manson, and Guhle in the Seattle expansion draft is a very real possibility.

I'm not sure if Guhle will ever be as good as Fowler especially not by then.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
There's certainly no guarantee Guhle will surpass Fowler in talent, but contract and age considerations may sway protection status in the former's favor.

If Guhle and none of our other young defenseman improve enough it would be bad to have a team without Fowler so I don't think Ducks would choose not to use a protection spot on Fowler because it would be so risky.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I wish we have a D with the skating of Guhle and everything else from Hampus :)

I think Guhle will be a solid one and I thin Eakins is the right coach at the right time for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad