Brendan Guhle Ready to Compete for NHL Roster Spot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This. I wish people would stop saying he was close.

He was probably going to get a 9gm look before his injury. Thats pretty impressive. I'm not sure he would have made it. But I can see why some would say he "almost did".

I think some are dismissing how high the Sabres were and still are on him. Murray in particular. Not saying he makes it but it's not as crazy a thought as some make it seem. It will actually be harder this year though with Kulikov here.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He was probably going to get a 9gm look before his injury.

Likely only due to injury to others on the blueline. Bogosian, Sanguinetti and Donovan were all out for the first game of the season due to one injury or another. Gorges was out until basically the night before game 1. McCabe was also a question mark if I recall correctly.

I think if Buffalo's D was fully healthy AND Guhle was healthy, he doesn't get a 9 game look.

He MIGHT get a 9 game look this season, but he isn't making the team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'll say I don't think he was even getting the 9 games. He wasn't near physically ready. I agree they were and are high on him. In a few years we'll look back and say this was akin to Chris Bigras in Colorado a few years ago: the guy everyone thought "nearly made the team" in his D+1 year, but doesn't nail down a roster spot until late in his D+3 year (which is totally fine, of course).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Likely only due to injury to others on the blueline. Bogosian, Sanguinetti and Donovan were all out for the first game of the season due to one injury or another. Gorges was out until basically the night before game 1. McCabe was also a question mark if I recall correctly.

I think if Buffalo's D was fully healthy AND Guhle was healthy, he doesn't get a 9 game look.

Obviously opportunity plays a role. Assuming he got those 9gms, it would only be if they felt he could handle it. They wouldn't through him out there just to fill in for injuries. Not in regular season action.

He MIGHT get a 9 game look this season, but he isn't making the team

Barring injury of course, I doubt he gets either. Our left side now has Kulikov, McCabe and Gorges. He won't beat out any of them.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He was probably going to get a 9gm look before his injury. Thats pretty impressive. I'm not sure he would have made it. But I can see why some would say he "almost did".

I think some are dismissing how high the Sabres were and still are on him. Murray in particular. Not saying he makes it but it's not as crazy a thought as some make it seem. It will actually be harder this year though with Kulikov here.

doubtful at best

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How did you guys think he did during the sabres prospects game?

I didn't think he really stood out like as a guy who should get a try-out but I was only half watching an might have missed something.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Article states, "Guhle is arguably the Sabres top prospect in the system"

I'll argue that. Nylander is clearly the top prospect.

IMO Guhle is at least 1 year and probably 2 years from getting a roster spot.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

2 years, IMO. One more year to actually dominate juniors. Then a year at least in the AHL. Then competes for a spot.

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver

Still, to me top prospects can be still top prospects, even if they're a bit away. I agree, 2 years out, but he's still [potential wise] for me top 2. Behind Nylander, but ahead of the rest. Bailey might be ready to make the team now, but Guhle is a better prospect. (and Nylander is clearly both closer and more talented)

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland

Agreed. Unless they're way ahead of the curve and an absolute high-end talent, a good D-man needs that extra seasoning and to physically fill out.

I'm excited to see him in the NHL but I'm in the camp of thinking it's another year off...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I did not see the development I thought there should be last year so my hopes for him dimmed slightly. With his wheels I expect some offence--he seems like Pysyk but on LD.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I did not see the development I thought there should be last year so my hopes for him dimmed slightly. With his wheels I expect some offence--he seems like Pysyk but on LD.

Completely different skill sets. If you want a pysyk you sign a Russell type. Even if Guhle doesn't develop a strong 2 way game his offense will keep him around for a bit. I see a lot more del zotto in him than anything.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Completely different skill sets. If you want a pysyk you sign a Russell type. Even if Guhle doesn't develop a strong 2 way game his offense will keep him around for a bit. I see a lot more del zotto in him than anything.

I would have said exactly the opposite, its his offense which is suspect, and his skating/D which should give him a shot at a third pairing if his O does not develop.

Offensively, DelZotto point per game total as a 17 yr old in the CHL was twice what Guhles was as a 19 yr old in the CHL.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I would have said exactly the opposite, its his offense which is suspect, and his skating/D which should give him a shot at a third pairing if his O does not develop.

Offensively, DelZotto point per game total as a 17 yr old in the CHL was twice what Guhles was as a 19 yr old in the CHL.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I think you can be an offensive d-man without scoring a lot. Just getting the puck out of your won zone and moving it up ice, or holding it in the o-zone are underrated qualities.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I don't see Pysyk and Guhle as having completely different skill sets. Both players' best attributes are their skating and their passing and both rely more on positioning to play sound defense.

I don't think either are going to be great point producers in the NHL, though Guhle does have some potential there.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not saying you're wrong but I think you can be an offensive d-man without scoring a lot. Just getting the puck out of your won zone and moving it up ice, or holding it in the o-zone are underrated qualities.

Then arguably more like Marc Methot style than DelZotto, who was mostly an offensive zone puck control guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad