Confirmed with Link: Brendan Guhle (2 years, $800K AAV) and Sam Carrick (1 year, $700K) sign extensions

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Since our AHL team has moved to San Diego we’ve given out plenty of one way deals to minor leaguers. I would say the one way for Guhle was given as incentive to get him to accept the second year of the deal.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1 way/2 way has nothing to do with waivers (the NHL video games are the reason people think that). 2 way just means that he gets paid a different salary in the minors. 1 way deals mean that he gets that 800K salary whether he's in the NHL or AHL.
Wait, my understanding was that if a player has a two-way contract he can be sent up and down when necessary but with a one-way contract, he has to go through waivers. So we will be able to send him down to SD without waivers?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Wait, my understanding was that if a player has a two-way contract he can be sent up and down when necessary but with a one-way contract, he has to go through waivers. So we will be able to send him down to SD without waivers?
My post you quoted is correct, waivers has nothing to do with the contract being 1 way/2 way. Waivers exemption has to do with service time in the NHL. Here is a detailed breakdown of how long it takes for a player to lose waiver exemption: Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Guhle will indeed need to pass through waivers next season. I believe Larsson will be in the same situation as well.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
My post you quoted is correct, waivers has nothing to do with the contract being 1 way/2 way. Waivers exemption has to do with service time in the NHL. Here is a detailed breakdown of how long it takes for a player to lose waiver exemption: Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Guhle will indeed need to pass through waivers next season. I believe Larsson will be in the same situation as well.

Since we just signed Guhle to a 2 year deal, it sounds like we are ok with him being in the AHL for another year, and to be our emergency offensive dman call up like how Hakanpaa is our defensive/physical dman call up.

It seems like we should be looking at trade options for Larsson for another faltering prospect. I think a guy like Irwin would be a better fit for Djoos on the bottom pairing, and Larsson's value isn't going to improve as a 7th dman. I can't see us holding onto him for more than another season if he doesn't show more improvement.

Fowler-Gudbranson
Hampus-Manson
Djoos-???
Larsson

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Yep both will

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Since we just signed Guhle to a 2 year deal, it sounds like we are ok with him being in the AHL for another year, and to be our emergency offensive dman call up like how Hakanpaa is our defensive/physical dman call up.

It seems like we should be looking at trade options for Larsson for another faltering prospect. I think a guy like Irwin would be a better fit for Djoos on the bottom pairing, and Larsson's value isn't going to improve as a 7th dman. I can't see us holding onto him for more than another season if he doesn't show more improvement.

Fowler-Gudbranson
Hampus-Manson
Djoos-???
Larsson

Irwin is absolute trash... He was awful when he was here save for 1 good game. He was basically another Bieksa but even less skilled

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Irwin is absolute trash... He was awful when he was here save for 1 good game. He was basically another Bieksa but even less skilled

Totally disagree on this one. I really liked what he brought. I don’t see a place for him next season, but his play was far from trash.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Totally disagree on this one. I really liked what he brought. I don’t see a place for him next season, but his play was far from trash.

I agree. He was significantly better than Holzer who often gave up scoring opportunities trying to make a big hit or pinching in too deep. There might be other options, but I think we would do better with a veteran on the bottom pairing with Djoos. Make Larsson/Guhle earn their playing time and learn to play the body with more consistency.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I agree. He was significantly better than Holzer who often gave up scoring opportunities trying to make a big hit or pinching in too deep. There might be other options, but I think we would do better with a veteran on the bottom pairing with Djoos. Make Larsson/Guhle earn their playing time and learn to play the body with more consistency.
Well if MDZ is an option, I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Irwin.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Well if MDZ is an option, I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Irwin.

I don't think the Ducks need either. Next year currently looks like this:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gubranson
Djoos-Larsson/Hakanpaa/Guhle/Benoit

No reason to add someone else unless it's an upgrade. Expansion draft has us keeping Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler so unless the Ducks want to repeat the past, I don't see any changes.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gubranson

No reason to add someone else unless it's an upgrade. Expansion draft has us keeping Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler so unless the Ducks want to repeat the past, I don't see any changes.
I wouldn't be surprised if Andersson got a chance too.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wouldn't be surprised if Andersson got a chance too.

I hope not. Murray denoted that Axel is still years away when we acquired him. I'm tired of rushing prospects well before they're ready such as Larsson and Guhle. I'd want to have a veteran 7th and test out either Larsson or Guhle.

Also, although Djoos looked good in limited games with us, we truly don't know what we have with Djoos.

Call me a bit jaded, but after seeing our defense hit often with injuries for the past few seasons and seeing prospects not ready, I'm okay with a very prudent and slow approach. LoL

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gubranson

That defense has a tremendous lack of scoring capability

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
That defense has a tremendous lack of scoring capability

Not going to argue with you about that. But with the expansion draft coming up and the Ducks in transition, it's affordable and good enough. The Ducks just need to compete and develop next season. Eventually, the team will be good enough again for the Ducks to start upgrading positions for long playoff runs. Just doesn't make sense to add any defensemen now unless it's a clear upgrade of Manson, Lindholm, or Fowler or an expansion exempt high end prospect.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Yep. I miss pre shoulder issue Vatanen and Visnovsky. Fowler and Lindholm are good players but neither can run a PP.
Imo we have 2 issues with our PP. No reliable 1 timers and no real threatening point shot. Neither of those things are really an indicator of Fowler or Lindholms ability to QB the PP. It certainly effects it and since we do t have someone else with those skill sets its a lot easier to point at one player and suggest they're the issue.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I hope not. Murray denoted that Axel is still years away when we acquired him. I'm tired of rushing prospects well before they're ready such as Larsson and Guhle. I'd want to have a veteran 7th and test out either Larsson or Guhle.

Also, although Djoos looked good in limited games with us, we truly don't know what we have with Djoos.

Call me a bit jaded, but after seeing our defense hit often with injuries for the past few seasons and seeing prospects not ready, I'm okay with a very prudent and slow approach. LoL
I don't remember that but it makes sense. Still I would imagine he gets a cup of tea depending on how he does in SD.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not going to argue with you about that. But with the expansion draft coming up and the Ducks in transition, it's affordable and good enough. The Ducks just need to compete and develop next season. Eventually, the team will be good enough again for the Ducks to start upgrading positions for long playoff runs. Just doesn't make sense to add any defensemen now unless it's a clear upgrade of Manson, Lindholm, or Fowler or an expansion exempt high end prospect.

It doesn't make sense to "gift" an NHL position to Djoos, Hakanpaa, Larsson, or Guhle. Although I think Djoos is a mainstay at our NHL club, I still want to have competition.

Last season, we gifted Guhle and Larsson starting NHL spots. Larsson actually did looked ok in 2018 when injuries hit us. He's good as a bottom pairing. Guhle was gifted a pairing with Fowler. It was just bad once Guhle returned from his injury. That confidence of his was shook bad. Djoos and Hakanpaa had a short stint with us last year, but then again Larsson looked better two seasons ago too in his call up. If our prospects can't beat out a veteran, then that's good for us. If our prospects can beat out our veterans, then that's also good. What's not good is to run back the theme we had last year of "let them develop". The team still needs to win and GM Murray got a huge blow back by pushing the youth movement as he gifted positions.

Using Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler (along with Gudz) as the standard to beat to acquire a 6th/7th veteran defenseman is an odd threshold. You're gifting NHL positions because you don't want competition for the bottom pairing? Also, you know we're the Ducks. Because we're the Ducks, we're bound to lose our top-4 blue liners for a significant amount of time to injuries and sometimes all four can be out at the same time! LoL I will shed a tear if our defense can play 75 games each at the NHL level. hahahhahah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad