Confirmed with Link: Brendan Guhle (2 years, $800K AAV) and Sam Carrick (1 year, $700K) sign extensions

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Solid depth moves. How many NHL games does Guhle need to play now in order to be exposed in the expansion draft?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Solid depth moves. How many NHL games does Guhle need to play now in order to be exposed in the expansion draft?
Either 40 games next season, or 70 combined between this season and next.

Well, he can be exposed no matter how many games he plays. But we have to expose one D who meets the 30/70 criteria. Maybe he’s it. Maybe it’s someone else like Larsson.

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Either 40 games next season, or 70 combined between this season and next.

Well, he can be exposed no matter how many games he plays. But we have to expose one D who meets the 30/70 criteria. Maybe he’s it. Maybe it’s someone else like Larsson.

Yeah I meant how many games did he need to be able to be counted for the exposure requirements.

So basically it’s 40 next season in either case as he played 30 this year. Looks like Larsson is the guy who is more likely to qualify, if we can sign him past next season he only needs 10 games. At least it looks likely we have at least one guy who counts.

Reactions: ADHB

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah I meant how many games did he need to be able to be counted for the exposure requirements.

So basically it’s 40 next season in either case as he played 30 this year. Looks like Larsson is the guy who is more likely to qualify, if we can sign him past next season he only needs 10 games. At least it looks likely we have at least one guy who counts.
Yeah, there are all sorts of possibilities. Djoos is also a possibility if he's a regular next season. He's unsigned for 21-22 but we hold his RFA rights, so we could easily retain him. Even Gudbranson could fit, although it wouldn't make much sense to re-sign him only to expose him right away.

Not likely to happen, but if for some reason we can't find a way to extend Manson, we could work out a deal with Seattle where they would take him in the ED (and then extend him) in exchange for some assets.

Reactions: Paul4587

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good singings. Especially with Guhle, who if he an take the next step in the NHL can be a solid asset. It also seems like they are going to have some nice healthy competition for those last D spots. I like that. I don’t think the D was the main issue or even an issue when fully healthy it was more the lack of some depth when one of our Top 4 guys went down. A team may have a couple of #4/#5 guys at their disposal, we had more 6’s and 7’s, playing in a Top 4 role.

If they can fix scoring, including the PP, you never know what can happen next season......whenever that may be. :dunno:

Reactions: robbieboy3686

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I would let Persson go. At $1 million per year, one way, he is too expensive.
I would try to keep him for depth but he might want to go back to Europe. Our RHD depth is very thin, just Manson, Gudbranson, Hakanpaa, and a bunch of players who have to shift to their off side. Having another natural RHD with NHL upside is a need. I’d much rather buy out Backes and play either Agozzino, Carrick, or Rowney at 4C and use part of the $1.5M we’d save on Persson.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Really like both deals, two years for Guhle is a nice bridge and gives him a couple years to put it together. His skillset is built for the current NHL so he could be a very nice 3rd pairing dman if he pans out.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Great deals for this organization. Guhle deal is on a very reasonable number, albeit that one-way worries me a bit, would be great if that first year would have been two-way. We are at 6 one way D contracts right now. 3d pair of Guhle-Hawk would be interesting to watch Jani keep improving defensively.
And Carrick I suspect will again play basically for SD, which is great for the org overall.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good news for San Diego at least.

I guess there may be a miracle with Guhle, but I'm not holding my breath on that front. He still has the same issues now as years ago.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Great deals for this organization. Guhle deal is on a very reasonable number, albeit that one-way worries me a bit, would be great if that first year would have been two-way. We are at 6 one way D contracts right now. 3d pair of Guhle-Hawk would be interesting to watch Jani keep improving defensively.
And Carrick I suspect will again play basically for SD, which is great for the org overall.

Why does the one way matter to you. Just means he's getting paid either way. I don't think we need to lose sleep over a 800k contract.

Waiver eligibility doesn't change

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why does the one way matter to you. Just means he's getting paid either way. I don't think we need to lose sleep over a 800k contract.

Waiver eligibility doesn't change
If we send him down, we can lose him. Or am I completely lost my hockey brain already?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If we send him down, we can lose him. Or am I completely lost my hockey brain already?
1 way/2 way has nothing to do with waivers (the NHL video games are the reason people think that). 2 way just means that he gets paid a different salary in the minors. 1 way deals mean that he gets that 800K salary whether he's in the NHL or AHL.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad