Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
looks like Derek Dorsett's playoffs stats. Only with the goal.
Or Manny Malhotra's with same amount of goals. Of course Manny played 15 games with Thornton and Marleau in their prime. Gaunce should score. That is doesnt is mind boggling. He scored in the Ahl why cant he here? It is some type of mental block. He is right now part of the problem the Canucks are 29th in even strength scoring.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Absolutely Gaunce is part of the issue when it comes to ES scoring. But the entire roster is terrible at it. I believe a couple games ago I said the dressed lineup had 39 ES goal and Boeser had 12 of them. The other 17 skaters had 27 ES goal through a combined 400+ games. I guess they are up to 29 ES goals now with the OT winner and Granlund's nothing goal last night. Such depth!

I just have an issue pointing to Gaunce as being a major issue when he should be one of the last guys we expect anything from and he's at least holding his own overall. He's showing himself to be a 12-13 forward and not much more.

Reactions: MS

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Absolutely Gaunce is part of the issue when it comes to ES scoring. But the entire roster is terrible at it. I believe a couple games ago I said the dressed lineup had 39 ES goal and Boeser had 12 of them. The other 17 skaters had 27 ES goal through a combined 400+ games. I guess they are up to 29 ES goals now with the OT winner and Granlund's nothing goal last night. Such depth!

I just have an issue pointing to Gaunce as being a major issue when he should be one of the last guys we expect anything from and he's at least holding his own overall. He's showing himself to be a 12-13 forward and not much more.

Agreed with this. All things being equal, you should have a capable top nine that can provide scoring at both ES & on the PP, then the 4th line can be there to eat defensive zone minutes, kill penalties, provide energy, and hopefully tread water in terms of goal differential. From this standpoint, Gaunce is not part of the problem and his generally doing his job.

All that being said, we are talking about a capable 4th line guy who has shown zero offensive upside in the NHL over a prolonged period of time. This is not an "important" player. This is also definitely not a player that we should give up a premium draft pick to not expose in the expansion draft, as was suggested by some at the time.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Even that's generous.
Gaunce put up 38 points in 45 seasons in the AHL 2 years ago. 3 points in 5 games this year... yep the hate is getting ridiculous.

Gift him Gagner minutes and give Gagner his assignments and we will see then.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Gaunce put up 38 points in 45 seasons in the AHL 2 years ago. 3 points in 5 games this year... yep the hate is getting ridiculous.

Gaunce was a slug in Utica as well. Lazy and shiftless.

Please never send him back here.

Reactions: Andre Boudrias

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Gaunce was probably one of the top 5 two-way forwards in the AHL the last time he was playing there regularly.

If he was sent down, he would instantly be the best player on that team, and it wouldn't be close.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

He'd be the best (and best-scoring) Comet forward immediately right now if he was assigned to the Comets (note Goldobin and Boucher are with the Canucks) but as a Comet fan you don't want to ever again see in Utica someone who would at the present be your best forward.

Or do you really think that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF Megna, Darcy, MacEwen (the current MacEwen, not what you hope he will develop into,) Bancks, d'Aoust, Carcone, Cassels, Hamilton, Woods, Molino etc is better than Gaunce so he would be of no use to the Comets/

I can't see any way to logically explain that position.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Gaunce was probably one of the top 5 two-way forwards in the AHL the last time he was playing there regularly.

If he was sent down, he would instantly be the best player on that team, and it wouldn't be close.
He'd be the best (and best-scoring) Comet forward immediately right now if he was assigned to the Comets (note Goldobin and Boucher are with the Canucks) but as a Comet fan you don't want to ever again see in Utica someone who would at the present be your best forward.

Or do you really think that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF Megna, Darcy, MacEwen (the current MacEwen, not what you hope he will develop into,) Bancks, d'Aoust, Carcone, Cassels, Hamilton, Woods, Molino etc is better than Gaunce so he would be of no use to the Comets/

I can't see any way to logically explain that position.
He's lazy and shiftless.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

He's lazy and shiftless.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007

Your solution is to give him more minutes? Gaunce is terrible offensively at the NHL level. It's not as if he doesn't get chances... He gets plenty. He just always finds a way to lose the puck or blow his shot.

It boggles my mind that people are still rooting for this guy. He is what he is and he doesn't show signs of being capable of anything more. He's a replaceable 4th liner. His role should literally be that.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

Gagner deserves the "gift" because he has proven he can produce circles around Gaunce at the NHL level by comparison- especially since he seems like a pretty good special teams player regardless.

Are you proposing that we play Gaunce on the PP? The 2nd line? Or that more PK time would lead to better results offensively?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's lazy and shiftless.

Which one of these do you think is more likely:

a) Travis Green is a complete moron who is giving a shiftless, lazy sub-AHL player the toughest defensive minutes in the entire NHL.

b) you have no idea what you're talking about and don't understand what you're watching.

Brendan Gaunce is an excellent defensive player at the NHL level who scored at a clip that would have put him top-10 in AHL scoring in 15-16 if he hadn't been called up. Your evaluation of his play is ludicrous.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Imagine having your big summer acquisition in Sam Gagner having to actually play in regular NHL player deployment, he's getting some of the easiest minutes in the NHL right now because of Brendan Gaunce and is still bleeding goals against more than any non rookie forward in the NHL right now.

Paying 9 million over 3 years for this player has to be up there with the worst moves of the summer, yikes.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

And now he is a key player for the canucks.....

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not the biggest fan of Gaunce but I'll respect the fact he is doing very well in his own end. I would like to see some production, but right now the lack of production isn't Brendan f***ing Gaunce's fault. However, I will never agree that zero production is irrelevant or even remotely okay. What players hae key roles that put up nothing offensively?

Gaunce has to be a damn good shutdown C in order to not produce anything. He shows some signs of offensive skill but he's far too weak in the offensive zone for my liking. Some of his shots...I feel like I' be better off with those chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad