Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Bachie was really good. Brought the Overdrive as I said during the game. Demko was concussed in a behind the net collision with Michael Backlund in the pre season game vs Calgary if anyone is still wondering about that.

I was wondering how that happened, thanks for clarifying.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hmm, I guess I had it backward, unless of course the Belleville broadcast picked it's own stars, which may well be the case. Boucher did have a great game, as did Juolevi I thought. McEneny was surprisingly good coming off that horrible knee injury, I saw very little rust.

He is still extremely rusty. He was not very good at all on Friday, picked it up a lot tonight as did Sautner and Chatfield. He should get better each night and if all goes well and he achieves a full comeback, he will be the best D-man on the Comets. Long ways to go for that though. 2 major knee operations in 3 seasons will require a lot of little steps for him to reclaim his former self. I know I am in his corner as well as the rest of the Comets fan base. He sure busted his ass tonight.

On a final note tonight (it's 1:30 a.m. here right now) the game tonight was the most physical hockey game I have watched in Utica. It was playoff level hitting for the number, but the hits included some brutal open ice hits and hits on the boards in which the target seemed to just melt down the boards. Nobody escaped being hit and most guys were hitters at one time or another. It was like all checks were finished to the max and many later than would be called legal on most nights. I know most of the brutal board bangers would have been 2 for boarding any other night.

The fact is these guys just about let everything go. No quarter refereeing. Aside from the Woods 27 minutes fiasco, there were only 2 other 2-minute penalties called in the game, one on each team, McEneny in the first with a diving slash that saved a goal and LaBate with one of his patented stupid high sticking penalties in the second. None were called at all in the 3rd period.

Don Cherry rock 'em sock 'em video material. LOL. Not possible to see that every night. There wouldn't be a man left standing by Christmas. Nobody got hurt that revealed it during the game. Thus, it was a great game to watch.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
See.. THIS is when you are OK having Gaunce in the organization.

No Pettersson.. No Beagle... Call up Gaunce. GAGNER.
Welcome back to the NHL Gagner..

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There are some obvious deficiencies in Gaunce's game that I can understand how some people don't see him as an NHL caliber player. Sure, he's a big sluggish and lumbering skater, he doesn't use his size to lay on the body very much and his offensive game has really stalled at the NHL level so far. However, he's a smart player a who always seems to make smart and safe decisions with the puck, both in the defensive and offensive ends of the ice. I think most of his weaknesses can be overcome due to his level of intelligence on the ice, along with a great attitude and work ethic. I don't think he'll spend a lot of time in the AHL.

I'm sure some see him that way, but for me, it's really not about "Gaunce is not an NHL caliber player". Every year, a bundle of serviceable NHL depth forwards pass through waivers (some of them multiple times even). I'd comfortably number Gaunce among those serviceable players. I'm happy to have him in the organization, he should be great for Utica and he's exactly what you want when injuries strike and you have to start calling guys up to fill some minutes and not hurt you.

He's the sort of player where, if i were building an organization, i'd target a guy like Gaunce to be that "15th/16th Forward" type guy. Brings value to you AHL affiliate. Doesn't hurt you or force you to shelter excessively if you have to call him up and plug him in for 10 minutes a night. But he's also a total non-impact player. At the end of the day, there are more "NHL caliber players" of Gaunce's ilk, than there are actual NHL jobs. Gaunce with his skillset and style of play is effectively a punt. Nobody is actively seeking that...they've got more interesting things to try.

Gaunce needs to figure out a way to increase his speed. He has the defensive responsibility, size, hockey sense, and some offensive potential. He just doesn’t get there. Gaunce with Virtanen speed is a top six Rick Nash clone.

It's really not about increasing his speed though. At this point, his skating probably is more or less what it's going to be. It's not good, but players have played games with worse mobility. The real problem, what makes him look so painfully slow, and what separates him from being a "Rick Nash clone" even with better speed...is his mentality as a player. He just doesn't have an attacking bone in his body. He's pure passive play. It's been the fundamental issue with him right back to his draft year and beyond.

You wait long enough for the game to come to you...if you don't have the speed and skill to pounce, eventually it's just going to pass you by.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's really not about increasing his speed though. At this point, his skating probably is more or less what it's going to be. It's not good, but players have played games with worse mobility. The real problem, what makes him look so painfully slow, and what separates him from being a "Rick Nash clone" even with better speed...is his mentality as a player. He just doesn't have an attacking bone in his body. He's pure passive play. It's been the fundamental issue with him right back to his draft year and beyond.

You wait long enough for the game to come to you...if you don't have the speed and skill to pounce, eventually it's just going to pass you by.

This is an excellent point. He has shown more distain for the media at times than opposing players. Cranking up the passion and intensity would go a long way for him.

And, as I said in a different post, I think my Nash comparison was a little overstated.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

e4JBbfZ.gif

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
GOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lvUgtjb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad