Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't know why Roussel consistently gets lumped in with Beagle other than the fact they were signed by the Canucks at around the same time for the same money. They are different players and have been deployed in different roles. He had a down year last season but prior to that he scored at least 12 goals in his previous 4 seasons. This isn't a player that the advanced stats community dislikes but for some reason, some posters here think Roussel will never put up good advanced stats when in fact he has consistently done so.

This is such a crap post... way to try and misdirect. Did I compare any of their roles on the team?

Reactions: geebaan

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Better than Sutter.....Good 3rd liner? wow lol

Anyway i've posted my shot @MS and will move on if guys like @travis scott will let me. It's not like i haven't miss read a players potential before...i just found it odd that MS and others would have such a liking for a dud NHL player and be so highly critical of others..nice addition to Utica, and as mentioned hopefully he can continue to grow his game and get back in the show at some point.

Never ceases to amaze me that after getting the ball slammed right down on all of you lovers that you try to re direct the shots at others. Sure Granlund and Gagner are not very good NHLers but this is essentially posting a re direction to Gillis for an excuse for Benning if i've ever seen one. I think anyone who has supported this team for a long time deserves better hopefully we can agree on that. Anyone that struggles to make impact on a btm 5 team is either undeveloped or a bad NHL player.
Umm I was just saying he’s better than Gagner and Granlund plus he brings something we lack (size, physicality), yet got sent down instead of those 2 scrubs.

Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is such a crap post... way to try and misdirect. Did I compare any of their roles on the team?

What a crap post. Do you read what you post? You lumped Beagle and Roussel together which is what I said you did and you know you did that right?

But do explain to us how Gaunce produced better results than Roussel? Last season? Two seasons ago?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
What a crap post. Do you read what you post? You lumped Beagle and Roussel together which is what I said you did and you know you did that right?

But do explain to us how Gaunce produced better results than Roussel? Last season? Two seasons ago?

Cause he produced positive results in his role. No I am not getting more specific as it has proven in the past arguing with you (cause it isn’t debating) is a giant waste of time.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So anyways moving on from all the extremist pro Gaunce and anti Gaunce POV we have to ask whats next with Gaunce for this team? Is he just a solid AHLer with the occasional upcall to the big club or can he still find a way to be a NHLer full time?

I think hes an honest guy and would love him to force his way to becoming an NHLer but maybe is just false hope at this point. Im still behind the guy 110% as hes a Canuck but not sure if Im being too blind or not

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
He's one of those guys where I doubt he could earn an NHL spot on any other roster. Simply there for depth in the system in Vancouver because he was drafted and developed here. That's okay, and he's still young enough where it's worth keeping him around as the team rebuilds.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So.... it's confirmed that he cleared, right? Probably back in the picture once injuries hit?
May come up for a quick cup of coffee if injuries get dire,but I highly doubt he will ever be a full time NHL'er...He didn't even make it to the final cut.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
May come up for a quick cup of coffee if injuries get dire,but I highly doubt he will ever be a full time NHL'er...He didn't even make it to the final cut.
Will highly depend on how he does in Utica. If hes able to get faster and puts up points there then who knows. He did not look good in the few shifts I saw of him this preseason being slower than ever out there. At this point in our teams cycle Id rather have Archibald up in the show

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaunce needs to figure out a way to increase his speed. He has the defensive responsibility, size, hockey sense, and some offensive potential. He just doesn’t get there. Gaunce with Virtanen speed is a top six Rick Nash clone.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
With Gagner and Archibald sent down... he's down in the pecking order...
Onus is on him to flat out perform to get back up to the NHL and show something before going UFA this coming offseason if he doesn't.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Cause he produced positive results in his role. No I am not getting more specific as it has proven in the past arguing with you (cause it isn’t debating) is a giant waste of time.

And Roussel didn't produce positive results in his role throughout his NHL career?

But aww... afraid of "argument?" Perhaps you should simply not reply to my posts ever since you think it's a giant waste of time to debate or argue with me. But I know you'll simply cherry pick. "OMG giant waste of time but I am still responding."

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
And Roussel didn't produce positive results in his role throughout his NHL career?

But aww... afraid of "argument?" Perhaps you should simply not reply to my posts ever since you think it's a giant waste of time to debate or argue with me. But I know you'll simply cherry pick. "OMG giant waste of time but I am still responding."

Yes the guy he produced 1 more goal the Gaunce last year in a non defensive role did not have as good a season. I would call that not a positive year.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lvUgtjb.gif

Reactions: NoShowWilly

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce needs to figure out a way to increase his speed. He has the defensive responsibility, size, hockey sense, and some offensive potential. He just doesn’t get there. Gaunce with Virtanen speed is a top six Rick Nash clone.
What? Gaunce does not have Rick Nash hands, and Rick Nash does not have Virtanen speed.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Gaunce was a powerhouse tonight. Really effective on the penalty kill, very strong all night on the forecheck, physical and scored a nice goal. Easily the player of the game for the Comets.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gaunce was a powerhouse tonight. Really effective on the penalty kill, very strong all night on the forecheck, physical and scored a nice goal. Easily the player of the game for the Comets.

Only got 3rd star.
Boucher #2, 3 goals in the first 2 games, killed penalties, and had several other blazing shots. Also made some very good passes in the ozone which we haven't seen much in the past.

Bachman the 1st star. After a couple weak ones last night, he was simple stellar tonight. The penalty killers were very good on a 7 minute penalty kill to start the 3rd period and Bachie was brilliant on it as well.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Had a difficult time understanding the penalty assessment on Woods. Yes, he did fight and shoved the guy back onto the ice after he was decked and Woods challenged him to get back up.
However, I never saw a guy get a 5 minute fighting penalty and the guy he was fighting got nothing. You can't fight yourself. 5 vs 2 yes, but never 5 vs 0. The other 2 was for instigation. Then a 10 minute misconduct and then a game. Not a bad number to take the team lead in PIM after only 2 games. combined with his 2 minutes Friday, he now has 29 PIM.

The guy should be a reserve, not an every night player. His antics tonight could have cost the team the game.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Only got 3rd star.
Boucher #2, 3 goals in the first 2 games, killed penalties, and had several other blazing shots. Also made some very good passes in the ozone which we haven't seen much in the past.

Bachman the 1st star. After a couple weak ones last night, he was simple stellar tonight. The penalty killers were very good on a 7 minute penalty kill to start the 3rd period and Bachie was brilliant on it as well.
Hmm, I guess I had it backward, unless of course the Belleville broadcast picked it's own stars, which may well be the case. Boucher did have a great game, as did Juolevi I thought. McEneny was surprisingly good coming off that horrible knee injury, I saw very little rust.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Had a difficult time understanding the penalty assessment on Woods. Yes, he did fight and shoved the guy back onto the ice after he was decked and Woods challenged him to get back up.
However I never saw a guy get a 5 minute fighting penalty and the guy he was fighting got nothing. You can't fight yourself. 5 vs 2 yes, but never 5 vs 0. The other 2 was for instigation. Then a 10 minute misconduct and then a game. Not a bad number to take the team lead in PIM after only 2 games.
I thought Woods was full value for the seventeen minutes. Completely pointless, meaningless aggression signifying nothing...

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
However I never saw a guy get a 5 minute fighting penalty and the guy he was fighting got nothing. You can't fight yourself. 5 vs 2 yes, but never 5 vs 0. The other 2 was for instigation. Then a 10 minute misconduct and then a game. Not a bad number to take the team lead in PIM after only 2 games.

Never saw the play, but if it played out as you described, then I've never seen a call like that before either.

Interesting to hear Gaunce played well, hopefully he can find some offensive element to his game.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Only got 3rd star.

Bachie was really good. Brought the Overdrive as I said during the game. Demko was concussed in a behind the net collision with Michael Backlund in the pre season game vs Calgary if anyone is still wondering about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->