Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Gallagher is everything you want in a hockey player.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Love the player, have always been bullish on his upper potential, was not surprised on the least by his success last year...

But given our situation & his size/style of play, if he has another strong year this season, I think he's an asset you flip as the deadline approaches...

His value to a PO team could be massive given his attributes & contract.

Would only do it at a massive return...
1st, 2nd, top prospect & young roster player, or something in that 4 quality future assets range.

And the only reason I'd do it is because his next contract will be worth top line long term $, but he's a risk to break down past 30.... I'd still be happy to see him here long term, gladly take the risk... But if we can translate his contract value into a massive future asset injection, I'd heavily consider it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Everytime I happen to read the thread title I get the damn song in my head.

I grew-up in the 80's so...

It's a fitting and well chosen thread title though, as there's rarely more bang for buck than what Gally gave us last season.

I'm still on the fence on whether we should keep him for a rebuild.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Everytime I happen to read the thread title I get the damn song in my head.

I grew-up in the 80's so...

It's a fitting and well chosen thread title though, as there's rarely more bang for buck than what Gally gave us last season.

I'm still on the fence on whether we should keep him for a rebuild.

i think you can't go wrong either way.

even if his performance suffers from wear & tear, his attitude/work ethic/professionalism makes him a value-add piece for a rebuild as far as influencing culture. suspect most coaches guiding a rebuild would appreciate having a guy like him as one of their core veterans

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If the '19 draft ends up as strong as the hype is, we are going to regret not trading him only to end up picking 10th or so. For an organization that so badly needs to find that high end talent, this could very well be that draft but management is going to continue to f*** us over.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I live in Hong Kong, your skin would melt the moment you enter my climate..given your irish background, if I'm not mistaken. :sarcasm:

I am not dissing Gallagher btw. I love the guy, I mean really, I don't know one fan who doesn't like him and rightfully so.
There is a massive difference though between liking him and praising him as a God. Massive. That is what I was getting to.

To this point,the only one who has thrown the term "God" around is you.

His story, and playing style would make him a fan favourite on any team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To this point,the only one who has thrown the term "God" around is you.

His story, and playing style would make him a fan favourite on any team.
Euhm...3rd post in this thread:
just wait till he gets a real C to play with. Kid should be praised as a god around here. What a comeback season.
That is what I was responding to.

Maybe backtrack the posts before jumping in.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Euhm...3rd post in this thread:

That is what I was responding to.

Maybe backtrack the posts before jumping in.

Yep, I admit to missing that one.

Now based on your post, the implication was that this is a commonly shared opinion when you ask what has Montreal come to?

Gallagher plays the game in a way that will make him a fan favourite in many segments. I don't see him being compared here to a Crosby or something like that on a general level.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yep, I admit to missing that one.

Now based on your post, the implication was that this is a commonly shared opinion when you ask what has Montreal come to?

Gallagher plays the game in a way that will make him a fan favourite in many segments. I don't see him being compared here to a Crosby or something like that on a general level.
I was replying to a poster who mentioned God status.
I said we shouldn't look at him that way. Crosby is God status, not Gallagher.
I also mentioned how I love the guy and don't know a single fan who doesn't.
My point was more about raising our standards. Gallagher is awesome, but no, he shouldn't be praised like a God.
Simple as that.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Which is also why I don't think that Gallagher nets you a 1st, 2nd, high end prospect and established young NHLer in a trade. Expecting that is clearly a case of over-valuing your own players, IMO.

A first and a blue chip prospect would be awesome, IMO.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Love the kid but I would trade him before he gets crushed for real.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Love the kid but I would trade him before he gets crushed for real.

Given his body type and style of play, most players of his ilk tend to have earlier and more pronounced wear and tear.

I don't think he can put up the same type of offensive production without playing the style he does and if I'm not mistaken, he's already said that this is the only way he knows how to play otherwise he won't have a job.

I love his intensity and hard-nosed play but am wary that he may age prematurely.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->