Breakthrough Seasons

turnbuckle*

Which young NHLers do you think will have breakthrough seasons?

Here's a few I think are ready to make an impact, and all have started the season strongly:

Wellwood
Bouchard
Weiss
Klesla
Komisarek
Lehtonen

thoughts...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
lehtonen and bouchard has the best chanse imo. maybe wellwood to. he has been great so far.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Semin so far has half of his goal totals from his previous stint already. He'll be a big reason for any caps success.

CH Wizard

Ryan Suter ( I know it's only his sophomore campaign..)
Jason Pominville
Chris Higgins

turnbuckle*

Bouchard?

he broke out last year...and he's gonna build on that.

but my pick is Mikko Koivu...he has been a beast at both ends so far

True...Bouchard had the best year of those I listed, but I think he's only scratched the surface. 17 goals? He'll be at least doubling that someday soon IMO. Bouchard has the talent to be a 100-point scorer in a season or two if he gets the opportunity.

Some good names listed, I especially like the chances of Semin breaking though and had thought of listing him originally.

Olesz is a little young and keeps battling injuries, I think he may be a year away - out of Horton, Olesz and Weiss however, there is certainly some young talent, and if two of them have breakthrough seasons the club will be battling for the playoffs as long as the veteran talent up front can stay healthy. I just have a gut feeling that Horton and more particularly Weiss are the most ready - Weiss has done his apprenticeship, and now it's time to live up to his capabilities. He's already gaining a reputation for scoring clutch goals, he just needs a little more consistency.

Higgins had 23 goals last year - he's going to have to have quite a sophomore season to "break through" after that rookie performance. I suppose if he scores 40+, but I'm not expecting that this season.

Pominville certainly made his presence felt last season, especially in the playoffs - that was certainly his "coming out" party. Is he going to significantly build on his 26-goal pace as an NHL rookie last season? I'd be surprised if he topped 26 goals this season.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
True...Bouchard had the best year of those I listed, but I think he's only scratched the surface. 17 goals? He'll be at least doubling that someday soon IMO. Bouchard has the talent to be a 100-point scorer in a season or two if he gets the opportunity.

Some good names listed, I especially like the chances of Semin breaking though and had thought of listing him originally.

Olesz is a little young and keeps battling injuries, I think he may be a year away - out of Horton, Olesz and Weiss however, there is certainly some young talent, and if two of them have breakthrough seasons the club will be battling for the playoffs as long as the veteran talent up front can stay healthy. I just have a gut feeling that Horton and more particularly Weiss are the most ready - Weiss has done his apprenticeship, and now it's time to live up to his capabilities. He's already gaining a reputation for scoring clutch goals, he just needs a little more consistency.

Higgins had 23 goals last year - he's going to have to have quite a sophomore season to "break through" after that rookie performance. I suppose if he scores 40+, but I'm not expecting that this season.

Pominville certainly made his presence felt last season, especially in the playoffs - that was certainly his "coming out" party. Is he going to significantly build on his 26-goal pace as an NHL rookie last season? I'd be surprised if he topped 26 goals this season.

Weiss will break out, 60-70 points is very much a target he could get. With Niewy fighting injuries already, Weiss will probably play on the second line/1st PP alot.
I thought Horton ciuld get 40 goals this year, 70 points. However, im not so sure now. He gets very hot and cold and our offense seems similar too. I don't know whether it is Martin or not, but Horton really hasn't been as good as we hoped so far, although it is early.
Olesz is gonna be awesome, but i don't think he'll breakout. I can see a 40 point season. It is just freakin ridiculous that they are making him concentrate on being a two way player when he has so much offensive ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->