Breakthrough players in KHL in 2015-2016

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Who will break through this year in the KHL? This thread is for players who are up and coming young players in the KHL.

Right now I'm watching Lokomotiv-Riga and I have been impressed with Lokomotiv's defenseman Pavel Koledov. He is just 20 years old with decent size, good mobility and solid puck skills.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Koledov broke out and really made a name for himself last year playing for Sochi, Loko still have plethora of great young Ds (Gavrikov, Rafikov, Lyubushkin) and realistically room for one of them, at best, they should really loan some people out again.

One name that came to my head instantly was Anatoli Golyshev. It seems like he will easily score 35 points this season.

Others include:

Albert Yarullin - a case can be made he broke out last year in Atlant and move back to Ak Bars will only hurt him
Nikita Tryamkin - he's a prized prospect but never really was impressive at KHL level, will have so much more opportunities this year with Lepisto, Viklund and Metlyuk leaving the team
Ivan Telegin - looked very good in the pre-season, can really play if he gets any kind of minutes on stacked CSKA roster
Artur Gavrus - this one is kinda obvious, it's only a question of time
Denis Guryanov - again Cpt. Obvious here, even though I doubt it's actually going to happen for him this season already
Alexei Bereglazov - he has some real offensive flair and he will get minutes this season
Somebody on Kuznya's roster - because it's how world works
Vyacheslav Leshchenko - because again, he has the talent and he had strong rookie season it would be only natural if he broke out in sophomore year
Vasili Demchenko - I realize he's only gonna be a backup and in that light he broke out last year already but he's a real KHL goalie in the making, might be a real competition for Francouz

Some older guys too, like Vincour or Brule can score in the right situation obviously and have been duds so far in the KHL.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I would add Lyubimov/Blahievskiy/Ozhiganov as possibilities...Kuzmenko is going to be a decent player, but I think a year in VHL is a must for him. Mamin - I am not so sure on him, always thought his team-mate Sharov was way better, but sharov's development went to a screeching halt in Lada last year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Ozhiganov played lights out last season so I doubt he can brake out any more than that in CSKA. Kinda same applies to Lyubimov too, he showed he's a legit KHL player last year but I can't see him getting anything more than that on this CSKA roster.

Meanwhile Filippi, from what I've seen, has A LOT of catching up to do with the KHL level and considering he was brought in as a 2C he is much more likely to disappoint than surpass those expectations. If I were Keenan I would go as far as letting Mozyakin and Zaripov carry Filippi for awhile, move Kovar with Osala and Wolski and split time between two lines more or less evenly while giving Kovar line tougher competition. That IMO would benefit everyone in the long run.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
From Jokerit Brandon Kozun (25) and Philip Larsen (25)...hopefully Jere Sallinen (24) and Pekka Jormakka (24) too.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Nikita Lisov and Vladislav Lysenko two young d-men with Admiral will have plenty PT, especially Lisov. They also have Belyakov, but I don't know if I am sold on him and (G) Bobkov
Nikita Cherepanov a young stay at home d-man with Amur (loko - project)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Bobkov is horrible, I will be surprised if he ever becomes starting goalie in the KHL. Unless Nalimov has a great season Admiral will allow 3+ goals on average.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Bobkov and Pechursky, both goalies thought to have potential. Both banished to the Far East.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Somebody on Kuznya's roster - because it's how world works.

We can hope :laugh: likely candidates include:
- RW Kirill Kaprizov (1997), this year's Minnesota draft pick. I think he lacks raw talent to become great, but he's smart, determined and was taking matters in his own hands much more this preseason.
- LW Ilya Musin (1991), he was one of the few bright spots this pre-season too. They make for an interesting line with Kaprizov and Ryan Stoa that can make some noise during the season.
- RW Evgeny Orlov (1990), had 10+5 last season, hopefully he can bring more of these goals with a bigger role in Kuznya.
- G Andrei Kareyev (1994).

Or no one :laugh:

Will we have a specific prospect watch thread or will we do it here? This is a hockey's future board in the end.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Russian expert Gimayev said that it is Pavel Buchnevich who will make a breakthrough this season

Wow what a sleeper pick :sarcasm:

Buchnevich scored roughly 0.6 PPG last year. What's a "breakthrough" for a player like that? Scoring 1 PPG I guess and that's obviously not going to happen playing for Severstal. Gotta love this "expert" insight.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Wow what a sleeper pick :sarcasm:

Buchnevich scored roughly 0.6 PPG last year. What's a "breakthrough" for a player like that? Scoring 1 PPG I guess and that's obviously not going to happen playing for Severstal. Gotta love this "expert" insight.

let's live and see

we recently had a chance to reread 3 years old predictions about Mike Keenan's career in KHL by some experts here :)

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Yevgeni Grigorenko is a possibility for Neftekhimik.

He will be playing on the top line with Taffe and Kennedy, so if they work out he could have a big year. Scored 2 goals today against Yugra.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well he scored 14 points in 22 games for Neftekhimik last year, 10 of them goals, pretty sure that counts as a breakout. This year he obviously has a chance to prove it wasn't a fluke.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I guess I should say sorry to Filippi, his pucks skills are way better than it seemed to me in pre-season. Sure he has his flaws but his puck skills are way, way above average in the KHL.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Maxim Shalunov (Sibir) 2+0 today against Slovan. He has 2+2=4 points in 3 games so far this season. He is quite big and good skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad