Breakthrough players: 2020/21 season

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
With almost 1/3 of the season behind us it becomes apparent who is who. This thread is not so much a guessing game this year but rather a guide whose progress to follow as they are on the verge of breaking out into the KHL stardom.

Many quite obviously talented players will be absent as they are with the big teams who simply won't give them the role to prove their worth. I also decided to separate this list into 2 categories this year as the guys fall into 2 distinctly separate categories: those who are legitimately good and are here to stay and those who managed to raise their profile due to favorable circumstance who will be seen more as KHL players from now on rather than fringe no-namers.

"A" graders:

Dmitri Voronkov - hard to expect a truly spectacular breakout from a 20-year-old playing for Ak Bars but he is still getting 15 minutes per game and some PP time so ~25 point campaign, somewhat similar to Galimov's last year, is still not out of the question. In any case, on of the more highly-touted prospects on this list.

Sergei Tolchinsky - still not the most convincing player 5v5 and still not trusted at the start of the season he had to go over PPG playing basically 3rd line minutes to be recognized as a true asset on the ice and likely the most talented offensive player Avangard has. Likely a perennial KHL star from this point on though.

Yegor Chinakhov - doesn't require any special insight to recognize overager good enough to be picked in the first round of the NHL draft is a figure worth mentioning. Interestingly enough, his emergence sent 2 other candidates for this list - Gritsyuk and Manukyan, to the VHL. It's actually quite a bit of a shame how the latter's career is going.

Dmitri Samorukov - odds are he won't be a KHL player much longer than this season but at the same time, I don't think anyone was quite sure of it before this season. Now, however, the guy seems like a player.

Yegor Sharangovich - after making quite a bit of noise as the first Belarussian player who can be pretty good in a long while Sharangovich was surrounded by uncertainty after 2 "meh" seasons in the AHL. However, upon coming back to Europe he is showing he can be an impact player in the KHL at the very least. Center with size, scoring ability and leadership good for 40 points if given the role. Yes, please.

Georgi Ivanov - a tremendous skater, although on pace for "only" 30ish points someone who can, I think, still make the NHL. Just turned 22 he is comparable in both style of play and career trajectory to the likes of Mikheyev and Barabanov. Probably never as gifted offensively as the former still a definite asset to any team.

Grigori Dronov - after years of rotten luck we are at the point where he is the best Magnitka's D. Last season was a good stepping stone and all the signs are there he is only going to get better at all aspects of the game despite already being trusted with more than 20 minutes per match when healthy.

Kirill Marchenko - again, an obvious one. Obvious talent who worked, proved his worth, got his chance, and is making the best of it. Brainteaser: you are on the board of 2018 draft with 2 players available, him and Denisenko. Who do you choose?

Justin Danforth - I don't really add imports to this list because most of them are known to be between good and great but Danforth took me by surprise. It is known I consider Liiga imports to be rather average but this guy brought the offensive package that blew me away. Definitely not a product of his linemates or anything like that either, it's all him. Unless he falls into some sort of black hole like Maione did the new Dawes/Bochenski/Ellison/Sexton etc. of this league. Kaski was the other import I also kinda considered.

The other guys:

Nikita Kamalov and Gleb Koryagin - I'm gluing these 2 together because they are very similar. Due to non-ending injuries to Amur's minute-eating Ds this year (Masin and Jordan, most notably) they have emerged as a solution to the problem. Both are playing in the top-4 now and both are about to eclipse their career-high in points. Koryagin seems more wonky player, for lack of a better term, Kamalov is a better-built, more usual modern-day defenseman who might actually be somewhat good if he continues to improve.

Sergei Zborovsky - from being sort of a spare part on 2 pretty bad teams in his first 2 KHL seasons got a chance with Avto and evidently, Peters really likes him. To the point where he is currently 4th in TOI on one of the better teams in the league. Right-handed shot and a pretty fast guy for his size, you can definitely do a lot worse than him on D.

Pavel Karnaukhov - still a player with many faults but in the cap world he managed to reach 0,5 PPG and eclipse his points-high already. Maybe he can still develop into more than a lanky opportunistic goal scorer but at this point, that's what he is. On pace for 20 goals so definitely deserves a mention though.

Daniil Miromanov - not quite sure what to think about this guy yet. Definite cannon of a shot so at the very least his offensive skills are going to be recognized going forward. Pretty huge surprise honestly, because his career so far was a bit of a train wreck. But he is with Sochi now, 2nd the team in TOI and one of a very few who can score while playing on it.

Pavel Kraskovsky - another one of the guys who were about to break out long enough to let people believe it will never happen. But on a 30 point pace now, playing left wing (something he has never done before, I think) on the top line with PP time. This is bound to be his most successful season since 16/17, expectations-wise.

Rafael Bikmullin - Neftekhimik is the team that gives chances and at this point, they "legitimize" 1-2 forwards per year as a bona fide KHL players (Avtsin, Poryadin, Khairullin, Shiksatdarov). Looks like it's Bikmullin turn this year, on pace for ~25 points in a middle-6 role.

Alexander Petunin - I'd say THE biggest eye-opener for me this year. He was yo-yoed between Severstal and Dinamo so many times I just started taking him as a player who just can't stick anywhere. It flew under my radar that he scored 17 points in 29 games for Seva last year and continues on roughly the same pace this year which makes him far and away the most productive player on the team. Small guy with wheels and some legitimate skill, it seems.

Nikita Shashkov - another pretty well-known guy who is slowly putting it all together. Will probably get close to 20 points this year. Still very weak on his skates for a guy who really shouldn't be considering his built.

Roman Manukhov - not so much a breakout year (because he had that 23 point season for Kuznya way way back in the day) but a comeback year after so many non-sensical seasons in bad situations on big teams. Now a steady role on still a rather solid team and once again approaching 25-30 point pace. Although I somewhat wonder how many of those are gonna be secondary assists to Bailen or Pilut who are the ones to really bring the mustard.

This being a very production-oriented list, what are the other guys you think might explode in the second half of the season? I'd still give guys like Lyamkin, Geraskin, Rykov a chance, Chekhovich is definitely making a case. Some of the goalies (Tretiak?) might still show something.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Mostly agree here, although maybe Shashkov's progress seems to me a bit slow to be called a breakout. Would add Makeyev (playing with Datsyuk helps, of course, but still) and Shalunov (I kind of almost gave up on him after two meh seasons, but now his shot looks like quite a weapon, especially on the PP). Also good to see Dergachyov showing signs of life.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
stats won't tell it but Kirill Kapustin is good KHL player. Eats big minutes now in Seva.

speaking of Kirill's, Rasskazov is another one i like this season. 6 goals in 12 games. Staying in Khabarovsk, Vladimir Butuzov bounce back season is worth notice.

Andrei Chibisov is doing well lately. Oleg Li is regaining his confidence, he can still be a decent KHLer

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Superb writeup! I'll be a downer on Sharangovich, all I see when I watch him is a dude that shoots a lot on second PP unit, his point total isn't shabby, but imo is misleading about his overall game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Mostly agree here, although maybe Shashkov's progress seems to me a bit slow to be called a breakout. Would add Makeyev (playing with Datsyuk helps, of course, but still) and Shalunov (I kind of almost gave up on him after two meh seasons, but now his shot looks like quite a weapon, especially on the PP). Also good to see Dergachyov showing signs of life.
Shashkov is kind of similar to Voronkov, he probably won't break out in a spectacular way but he is on pace to approach that 25 point plateau which, on a small team like Sibir, means you are an appreciable part of the team's offense. His TOI isn't plummeting either, I actually think these "quiet" breakouts are most interesting to follow. Big ones are loud, known to everyone so often times you just go "well yeah".

Makeyev I just write down as a good player on a lucky streak (Robert Sabolic once scored 8 points in 4 games to start the season, #neverforget). I don't really expect him to be a 60-point player from this point on, he is a 40 point player having a good start which would probably translate into a career year.

Shalunov is just down to his role. He has a chance to pummel those one-timers on PP which wouldn't have been possible with Kaprizov. When he and Shumakov were brought in as 1st line players in 17/18 he scored 0.87 PPG for CSKA so I think he all knew he can do it. He just isn't good enough offensively to bring that kind of production no matter the circumstances. If you give him the role he is money in the bank for 40+ points though.

Dergachyov is one I definitely agree with and an overlook on my part. He started the season as a 1C for Vityaz (which is funny in its own right but nonetheless) and was about to blow that chance but it looks like he is still hanging in there and his point totals are above 0.5 PPG which would definitely count as a breakthrough for him.

stats won't tell it but Kirill Kapustin is good KHL player. Eats big minutes now in Seva.

speaking of Kirill's, Rasskazov is another one i like this season. 6 goals in 12 games. Staying in Khabarovsk, Vladimir Butuzov bounce back season is worth notice.

Andrei Chibisov is doing well lately. Oleg Li is regaining his confidence, he can still be a decent KHLer
To me, that's the reason this thread is worth having over the years because it helps to not overlook the guys exactly like you mentioned. Once they hit a certain level you make a mental note of them their fluctuation in performance isn't really surprising. If they done it once they can do it again sort of thing.

Kapustin had that statement season in 17/18. Rasskazov has been mentioned numerous times but it always ends the same way for him - he chips in some offense when given the chance but then his TOI takes a hit due to his shortcomings/people coming back from injury/he gets injured himself and ends up with 15 points on the season. I ceased to expect it going any other way for him. Butuzov, once again an old feature of this thread, is bouncing back to where he should be. Chibisov we have mentioned before 18/19 and I think he will end up in that slightly below 0.5 PPG territory once again despite having this hot streak since in the long term there is no place in Magnitka's top-6 for him. Li is what he is at this point, a somewhat useful guy who can score with enough luck or good linemates.

Superb writeup! I'll be a downer on Sharangovich, all I see when I watch him is a dude that shoots a lot on second PP unit, his point total isn't shabby, but imo is misleading about his overall game.
Frankly, you are probably right. But he plays defense and he does have a good shot. He is probably somewhere in between the 2 categories. Not quite "the other guy" but he isn't truly a high-end player either. However, at the end of the day, he is someone that will definitely belong to the KHL level, unlike so many Belarussians who are sort of tweeners between KHL role player and Belarus' league all-star. Let them have this one.

Reactions: aonb

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
With almost 1/3 of the season behind us it becomes apparent who is who. This thread is not so much a guessing game this year but rather a guide whose progress to follow as they are on the verge of breaking out into the KHL stardom.

Many quite obviously talented players will be absent as they are with the big teams who simply won't give them the role to prove their worth. I also decided to separate this list into 2 categories this year as the guys fall into 2 distinctly separate categories: those who are legitimately good and are here to stay and those who managed to raise their profile due to favorable circumstance who will be seen more as KHL players from now on rather than fringe no-namers.

"A" graders:

Dmitri Voronkov - hard to expect a truly spectacular breakout from a 20-year-old playing for Ak Bars but he is still getting 15 minutes per game and some PP time so ~25 point campaign, somewhat similar to Galimov's last year, is still not out of the question. In any case, on of the more highly-touted prospects on this list.

Sergei Tolchinsky - still not the most convincing player 5v5 and still not trusted at the start of the season he had to go over PPG playing basically 3rd line minutes to be recognized as a true asset on the ice and likely the most talented offensive player Avangard has. Likely a perennial KHL star from this point on though.

Yegor Chinakhov - doesn't require any special insight to recognize overager good enough to be picked in the first round of the NHL draft is a figure worth mentioning. Interestingly enough, his emergence sent 2 other candidates for this list - Gritsyuk and Manukyan, to the VHL. It's actually quite a bit of a shame how the latter's career is going.

Dmitri Samorukov - odds are he won't be a KHL player much longer than this season but at the same time, I don't think anyone was quite sure of it before this season. Now, however, the guy seems like a player.

Yegor Sharangovich - after making quite a bit of noise as the first Belarussian player who can be pretty good in a long while Sharangovich was surrounded by uncertainty after 2 "meh" seasons in the AHL. However, upon coming back to Europe he is showing he can be an impact player in the KHL at the very least. Center with size, scoring ability and leadership good for 40 points if given the role. Yes, please.

Georgi Ivanov - a tremendous skater, although on pace for "only" 30ish points someone who can, I think, still make the NHL. Just turned 22 he is comparable in both style of play and career trajectory to the likes of Mikheyev and Barabanov. Probably never as gifted offensively as the former still a definite asset to any team.

Grigori Dronov - after years of rotten luck we are at the point where he is the best Magnitka's D. Last season was a good stepping stone and all the signs are there he is only going to get better at all aspects of the game despite already being trusted with more than 20 minutes per match when healthy.

Kirill Marchenko - again, an obvious one. Obvious talent who worked, proved his worth, got his chance, and is making the best of it. Brainteaser: you are on the board of 2018 draft with 2 players available, him and Denisenko. Who do you choose?

Justin Danforth - I don't really add imports to this list because most of them are known to be between good and great but Danforth took me by surprise. It is known I consider Liiga imports to be rather average but this guy brought the offensive package that blew me away. Definitely not a product of his linemates or anything like that either, it's all him. Unless he falls into some sort of black hole like Maione did the new Dawes/Bochenski/Ellison/Sexton etc. of this league. Kaski was the other import I also kinda considered.

The other guys:

Nikita Kamalov and Gleb Koryagin - I'm gluing these 2 together because they are very similar. Due to non-ending injuries to Amur's minute-eating Ds this year (Masin and Jordan, most notably) they have emerged as a solution to the problem. Both are playing in the top-4 now and both are about to eclipse their career-high in points. Koryagin seems more wonky player, for lack of a better term, Kamalov is a better-built, more usual modern-day defenseman who might actually be somewhat good if he continues to improve.

Sergei Zborovsky - from being sort of a spare part on 2 pretty bad teams in his first 2 KHL seasons got a chance with Avto and evidently, Peters really likes him. To the point where he is currently 4th in TOI on one of the better teams in the league. Right-handed shot and a pretty fast guy for his size, you can definitely do a lot worse than him on D.

Pavel Karnaukhov - still a player with many faults but in the cap world he managed to reach 0,5 PPG and eclipse his points-high already. Maybe he can still develop into more than a lanky opportunistic goal scorer but at this point, that's what he is. On pace for 20 goals so definitely deserves a mention though.

Daniil Miromanov - not quite sure what to think about this guy yet. Definite cannon of a shot so at the very least his offensive skills are going to be recognized going forward. Pretty huge surprise honestly, because his career so far was a bit of a train wreck. But he is with Sochi now, 2nd the team in TOI and one of a very few who can score while playing on it.

Pavel Kraskovsky - another one of the guys who were about to break out long enough to let people believe it will never happen. But on a 30 point pace now, playing left wing (something he has never done before, I think) on the top line with PP time. This is bound to be his most successful season since 16/17, expectations-wise.

Rafael Bikmullin - Neftekhimik is the team that gives chances and at this point, they "legitimize" 1-2 forwards per year as a bona fide KHL players (Avtsin, Poryadin, Khairullin, Shiksatdarov). Looks like it's Bikmullin turn this year, on pace for ~25 points in a middle-6 role.

Alexander Petunin - I'd say THE biggest eye-opener for me this year. He was yo-yoed between Severstal and Dinamo so many times I just started taking him as a player who just can't stick anywhere. It flew under my radar that he scored 17 points in 29 games for Seva last year and continues on roughly the same pace this year which makes him far and away the most productive player on the team. Small guy with wheels and some legitimate skill, it seems.

Nikita Shashkov - another pretty well-known guy who is slowly putting it all together. Will probably get close to 20 points this year. Still very weak on his skates for a guy who really shouldn't be considering his built.

Roman Manukhov - not so much a breakout year (because he had that 23 point season for Kuznya way way back in the day) but a comeback year after so many non-sensical seasons in bad situations on big teams. Now a steady role on still a rather solid team and once again approaching 25-30 point pace. Although I somewhat wonder how many of those are gonna be secondary assists to Bailen or Pilut who are the ones to really bring the mustard.

This being a very production-oriented list, what are the other guys you think might explode in the second half of the season? I'd still give guys like Lyamkin, Geraskin, Rykov a chance, Chekhovich is definitely making a case. Some of the goalies (Tretiak?) might still show something.
Markus Granlund!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Petunin just broke Severstal's record for points in consecutive games.

That Vovchenko-Kodola-Petunin line is kind of becoming legitimately good by the league-wide standard.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Petunin just broke Severstal's record for points in consecutive games.

That Vovchenko-Kodola-Petunin line is kind of becoming legitimately good by the league-wide standard.

Is this just a big stretch for the 23-year-old or is there an opportunity he is signed as an NHL free agent down the road?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kraskovsky hits 20 points.. He is actually within the striking range of team lead in points.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Kraskovsky hits 20 points.. He is actually within the striking range of team lead in points.
his confidence is all-time high right now. flashy moves he makes during 1vs1 battles, he would never have tried them a year or two ago. i'm surprised tbh. good prospect back in days, but 24 y.o already and last 3 years = disaster. i thought he'll float between vhl and khl or become mediocre 3rd liner at best but maybe he can prove me wrong. he's on the right track to do so

Reactions: mazmin

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
why? his stats don't seem bad for his age. what's wrong?
I mean the guy is 58th in PPG. He is showing first signs he can be a noteworthy KHL player, nevermind the NHL. Small, light hence pretty much a perimeter player, not an impact player defensively, non-factor physically, not a great shooter. A year the guy was dumped by Dynamo because they didn't have a roster spot for him.

I understand, stat-watching is stat-watching but even his stats are nothing special. A decent case can be made he isn't even the best player on his line.

Reactions: Johnny Danger

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Gotta be Chekhovich right? Hes been really good offensively for Torpedo
Yeah, he is probably not mentioned here yet because he is a loan. And this thread mostly concdentrates on KHL players who have NHL potential. But he should be.

P.S. Come on, guys who really "love" me on this boards. I am praising a player who developed in NA, because he deserves it.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->