Breakout Player / Pleasant Surprise for 2013

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I've thought for a while Hrivik had an outside chance of making the bottom six and that was because of his size and work ethic in the corners, on the boards and in backchecking. I knew he had solid offensive skills to go along with the hard working, defensively responsible reputation, but I didn't realize his hands were that good. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick sooner rather than later. Seems like a Torts' type of guy.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kreider - struggles out of the gate, and 2/3 of the board flips out. He picks things up as the season progresses, but people stop seeing him as a potential 30-40 goal scorer and begin seeing him as a nice 2nd line winger who could probably be a 25 goal - 25 assist guy.

Ranger staff needs to handle him right. He shouldn't be given real responsibility. He needs to be told to skate to stretch the defense, to hit when the hit presents itself without going out of position, and to play decent defense. He can be score 5-7 goals, 7-10 assists over 45 games (this projects to about 27 points per 82 games), while making the team faster and more physically intimidating.

This would be very decent for a third line winger. Last year, our 7-9 forwards in scoring averaged exactly that: 27 points, and they weren't as fast or as strong.

However, people here were competing last summer for who will project more ridiculous offensive numbers for Kreider. No, he won't be a 25-25 player out of the gate, though he could certainly do that in the future.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I've thought for a while Hrivik had an outside chance of making the bottom six and that was because of his size and work ethic in the corners, on the boards and in backchecking. I knew he had solid offensive skills to go along with the hard working, defensively responsible reputation, but I didn't realize his hands were that good. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick sooner rather than later. Seems like a Torts' type of guy.

that was gonna be my question...is he strong enough away from the puck for torts to trust him on the 3rd line?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
that was gonna be my question...is he strong enough away from the puck for torts to trust him on the 3rd line?

Yes, he is. I actually think that his lack of footspeed at a younger age taught him how to play positional defense, and now that he has better footspeed (talking maybe Stepan-like speed) he is using those same fundamentals to be even more effective. Intriguing player for sure. He may be the best Whale young player this season so far honestly. Miller and Kreider have their flashes, but Hrivik has been very good since his slow start.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Rupp and Asham. Good chemistry in Pitt. Could help the 4th line and spell forwards even in short but continuous season and PO.

I expect Stepan to take the next step. With two elite scorers and talents on the team, the ice should open up for him. Whoever he plays with, Nash or Gaborik should help him progress. Expecting points from him.

My drop off player is Biron. He had his stats deflate last season towards the end. Idk how good he will be but I'm expecting more Hank.

Also, expecting a drop from hagelin. He was very effective last season. I think his speed is now known by all teams and it showed in the playoffs. He's going to have to add a scoring touch to improve.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Completely hypothetical but

Hagelin - Miller/Boyle - Boyle/Miller

Would probably be a great shutdown line. Miller is often credited as a good two way defensive player.

Eventually, I'd like to see Hagelin with Fast on the other side and either Lindberg or Nieves in the middle. That would be a hell of a fast third line.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Awesome goal, but the way they said his name at 0:09 sounded so funny :laugh:.

The Bridgeport (Islanders farm) TV announcer says his name in a way that sounds "horrific". I paid attention to it and he constantly does it. "Horrific skating across the blue line, horrific near the net..."

But hey, it's better than hearing Sam Rosen declare that "Callahan takes it deep". Dude...

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Ranger staff needs to handle him right. He shouldn't be given real responsibility. He needs to be told to skate to stretch the defense, to hit when the hit presents itself without going out of position, and to play decent defense. He can be score 5-7 goals, 7-10 assists over 45 games (this projects to about 27 points per 82 games), while making the team faster and more physically intimidating.

This would be very decent for a third line winger. Last year, our 7-9 forwards in scoring averaged exactly that: 27 points, and they weren't as fast or as strong.

However, people here were competing last summer for who will project more ridiculous offensive numbers for Kreider. No, he won't be a 25-25 player out of the gate, though he could certainly do that in the future.

I think most posters will be disappointed if he doesn't hit double digit goals in 48 games. Personally I have him down for 15-15 this season. I don't think it's that unreasonable...but we'll see.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I think most posters will be disappointed if he doesn't hit double digit goals in 48 games. Personally I have him down for 15-15 this season. I don't think it's that unreasonable...but we'll see.

That would be a ~26 goal rookie season if you stretch that pace to 82 games. That's a lot to ask from any rookie, no matter how promising.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i hope it's not just the hype. but it seems to me the rangers are loaded throughout their system. top to bottom. looking forward.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

He's had a slow start this year, but I see him as a LW with Stepan and Gaborik. You aren't asking him to score a crazy amount of goals, but play solid defensively and open things up with speed. Go into the corners and get the puck - similar to Hagelin's role last year with Richards and Gabby. He's also played with Stepan before which is an extra positive when you consider a week of practice compared to a full pre-season.

You mention a 3rd line winger, but I think his career has shown that he performs better with higher skilled players. If he's playing with Boyle and Pyatt (who I think will be a nice surprise to a lot of people), then he's almost in the same position he's in at Hartford. I want him to develop an offensive game - just not become a dump and grinder. With the offensive crew on this team, you aren't asking him to be a main offensive catalyst, but I'd like him to play with offensive players.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I think you'll be wasting a good young talent by putting him on the 3rd line. He needs good playmakers on his line. Otherwise he'd be pretty useless.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
That would be a ~26 goal rookie season if you stretch that pace to 82 games. That's a lot to ask from any rookie, no matter how promising.

Yeah, I get that. But I still think he can net 15. Perhaps he falls a bit short...but I still can't see him missing double digits.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I say Kreider lives up to "expectations" whatever they may be.

Also Pyatt scores a few more goals than expected.

Boyle gets some assists he's been robbed on in his seasons where he's scores goals.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

He had 5 goals in 18 playoff games, which is roughly a 23 goal pace. So I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

But for my breakout player, I'll go with Brad Richards. I think he'll improve quite a bit over last year's numbers. I think 50+ points is possible if he stays healthy.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
It's funny how everyone was complaining about the main board and non-NYR calling Kreider overrated and a future bust and top-9 at best and then half of us are calling an underachieving season :laugh:

Everyone has their reasons and rationale and we all know them but its just ironic. :laugh:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
One would be forced to think one of our top guys will underachieve. Out of Nash, Gaborik, Richards, Callahan and then Stepan and Kreider... Out of 6 guys, someone is probably going to fall short and I'll take... captain cally :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad