Breaking: Team from Espoo (follower of Blues) might consider joining SHL

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
http://www.mtv.fi/sport/jaakiekko/s...espoon-joukkue-ruotsiin-tai-venajalle/5842474

Earlier it looked like he will buy Blues and pay their debts and keep playing in FEL, but he has decided not to. Jussi Salonoja has decided to not buy out Espoo Blues from bankrupt. He says he will base a new team in Espoo instead.

Salonoja says he is considering to join SHL with the team as one option. Is this possible? Do you guys think he is smoking lsd and it is impossible or would this be possible?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The SHL wouldn't benefit in any way from allowing a Finnish team to join.

No way to know it really. I think they would benefit from it as much as any other team from Sweden. With good luck the team would be hated though, and their games would sell well.

I don't see this becoming reality. Was just shocked about the headlines.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
I don't think that it is possible to buy a place in the SHL - if he wanted the team to play in Sweden it would have to start from a lower league and advance.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I'd say it's more likely that they become Jokerit's farm team in the newly founded HPL (KHL's farm league).

There is no way that they would approve Blues to join the SHL. Imagine all the hate for giving them a free spot. It would be even worse than when the SHL came up with the "wildcard idea"* two seasons ago.

If they would be ready to start playing in the Swedish sixth division and advance to the SHL the fair way, then I guess there's no problem with it. IFK Mariehamn already plays in the fifth division

*The SHL came with a proposal that they would invite two of the teams in HockeyAllsvenskan to play in the SHL, instead of letitng it be fair and let the teams play about the two expansion spots.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I guess the fans should vote to take Blues to Allsvenskan or SHL for it to go beuatifully.

In Finland, big teams never start from bottom division. Being a big town like Espoo (Population 270 000) you can skip at least into Suomi-Sarja.

Lif

Nov 3, 2013
I'd say it's more likely that they become Jokerit's farm team in the newly founded HPL (KHL's farm league).

There is no way that they would approve Blues to join the SHL. Imagine all the hate for giving them a free spot. It would be even worse than when the SHL came up with the "wildcard idea"* two seasons ago.

If they would be ready to start playing in the Swedish sixth division and advance to the SHL the fair way, then I guess there's no problem with it. IFK Mariehamn already plays in the fifth division

*The SHL came with a proposal that they would invite two of the teams in HockeyAllsvenskan to play in the SHL, instead of letitng it be fair and let the teams play about the two expansion spots.
Perhaps not as low as division 6 (Maybe div.1 or 2), but otherwise i agree. Ain't no way that they will be able to buy a spot in Allsvenskan or SHL.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
I guess the fans should vote to take Blues to Allsvenskan or SHL for it to go beuatifully.

In Finland, big teams never start from bottom division. Being a big town like Espoo (Population 270 000) you can skip at least into Suomi-Sarja.

So if they will not find an owner, they would be extinct, or able to play in Soumi-Sarja (as a minimum)?
In this case, Liiga will carry on with 15 teams or other club from Mestis would be invited?!

When is the deadline for filling the application for next season? (I know that traditionally the fixtures are released in early May).

I can't see them joining the Swedish hockey system in any case, not even mentioning about SHL. If that idea of a Nordic league will be back from the dead, maybe, but in the current system, no.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I am not very familiar with Scandinavian dynamics in hockey but I simply do not understand why a Finnish team would want to play in Swedish league? It's not like Liiga is not good enough. I mean, aren't the Finnish and Swedish people fond of their traditions and rivalries in hockey, just like the rest of Europe in general? If I was a Finn, I'd probably want to see my team play against Kärpät, Tappara or IFK rather than Frölunda or Luleaa... That's why this idea is interesting to me. For example, if I had a good team based in Turkey, I'd be very happy to have it play in Finland in Sweden - because who the hell cares about hockey here? But, chasing after SHL when you are based in Espoo... Just why?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Probably he was smoking mushrooms anyway. I don't really see very good reason for doing that, neither. Joining SHL doesn't confirm yearly 10M player budget from new owner, like in KHL Jokerits case.

I do not find significan't difference if they play Kärpät or Frölunda. Just like you said, it is only better to play in Finland for sake of traditions between teams and history of league.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
What an odd thing to suggest.. Is it possible to find the article in Swedish?
Like someone else mentioned, if he is talking about a joint league, that's a whole other story.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Like someone else mentioned, if he is talking about a joint league, that's a whole other story.

Here's an article by Hufvudstadsbladet: https://www.hbl.fi/artikel/salonoja-raddar-inte-blues/

It says nothing about SHL, Russia or anything else, but that they will play in the lower leagues until they're ready for Liiga

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden

This is the only I have found (requires feee registration).
https://www.hbl.fi/artikel/vem-tander-ljuset-i-esbo/#
possibly there might be some articles at svenska.yle.fi

It does oonly say that a/the new owner might consider to abandon the Finnish league like Jokerit did.
SHL is not mentioned though.

*edit Exarz was faster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad