Breaking out the teams record by how healthy the defense is

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
After listening to Ken Daniels talk about the Red Wings record with Green in the line up last night and seeing the latest article from Kahn, it got me thinking about how Holland might justify not trading guys like Howard, Nyquist and even Jensen at the deadline:

It'll be how injuries on defense affected the team.

As Daniels mentioned, with Green in the line up, they're 15-9-2. Without him (and others, see below *) , 3-14-5.

If you consider that Green, Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser and Cholowski were supposed to be the top 6 on D this season, the team has one game where their blueline was at full strength. It was a 4-3 win over the Blues on 11/26. Otherwise, they've had 47 games where at least one of those guys is out due to injury, 26 with at least two of them out, 12 with at least 3 of them out and 4 with 4 of them out.

Broken out by Defense health, this is how the their record looks:

With 4 dmen out : 0-3-1 - .125 points% GF 10, GA 23
With 3 dmen out : 1-5-2 - .25 points% GF 19, GA 28
3 or more out: 1-8-3 - .208% GF 29, GA 51

With 2 dmen out : 4-8-1 - .321 points% GF 38, GA 48
2 or more out: 5-16-4 - .28% GF 67, GA 99

With 0-2 dmen out: 17-15-3 - .528% GF 107, GA 116

With 1 dman out: 12-7-2 - .619% GF 65, GA 59
With 0 dmen out: 1-0-0

* - Interestingly, after looking at all of this, it seems the loss of just Green is a bit "over rated". The Red Wings haven't had a game this season where Green is only dman out. The 22 games he's missed overlap times where 1-3 other dmen were out with injuries. In 20 of those 22 games, you have 14 where Daley or DeKeyser are also out (2-9-3), and 6 where Daley AND DeKeyser are out (1-4-1). 3-13-4 when Green and one or both of Daley and DeKeyser are out. With Green and one or both of Daley or DDK in the line up it's 15-10-3 The other 2 games are the first two of the season (0-1-1) where Daley and DDK were healthy but Green, Kronwall and Ericsson were out, Hronek/Cholowski and Sulak were playing their first 2 NHL games, Jensen was scratched for one and Hicketts played his 6th NHL game.

The team is especially disastrous when missing Green and Daley (arguably their two best veteran Dmen). That record is 1-6-2.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
It has been glaring how the team has played with and without Green.

But, the team needs to prioritize Cholowski and Hronek's development. If that leads to a few more losses, so be it. Their growth is important for the future of the organization.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
while this is true the Wings are 13 points out of a Playoff spot at the moment(and while being tied for the most games played in the conference to boot)

the 2nd wild card is typically somewhere in the mid to upper mid 90s and with 34 games left in the season to even get to 95 points the Wings would need to go 26-8 going forward

the team isn't as bad as it looks but if Holland uses that as an excuse to not move someone like Nyquist he's an idiot

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
It has been glaring how the team has played with and without Green.

But, the team needs to prioritize Cholowski and Hronek's development. If that leads to a few more losses, so be it. Their growth is important for the future of the organization.

It would be nice to see Hronek on the PP instead of Kronwall, who's really had no business there for years now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Broken out by Defense health, this is how the their record looks:

Could you do this same about Edmonton Oilers?

They have had Sekera missing all season, and now Klefbom is out.

Would be interesting to see. Also Evan Bouchard was in at start of the season.

Sekera hasn't returned yet, so they haven't been 100% at any point.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If we could get 2 legit top 4 defenseman I believe we could contend for a wild card spot next year. Karlsson and someone like that.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
while this is true the Wings are 13 points out of a Playoff spot at the moment(and while being tied for the most games played in the conference to boot)

the 2nd wild card is typically somewhere in the mid to upper mid 90s and with 34 games left in the season to even get to 95 points the Wings would need to go 26-8 going forward

the team isn't as bad as it looks but if Holland uses that as an excuse to not move someone like Nyquist he's an idiot
Does it even matter what the best offer is? What if Nyquist could only fetch a third? I see it as plain stupidity if you want to move the guy just to move the guy. If the return doesn't make sense, we'd be bettet off keeping the guy. He does make this team better and certainly has several years left in him. (Barring injury)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
This is why I REALLY didn't want to trade Green last year when everyone else did. I thought and still think that Green's ability to pass to a teammate is vastly underrated and extremely important to the team.

When you look at most of our defenseman, maybe they can play some defense, but then they literally can't do anything with the puck. They whack it out of the zone aimlessly, or they chop it haphazardly away, or they whack it randomly toward the net dreaming that they're Lidstrom with Holmstrom waiting to magically tip it in. They have zero offense and zero puck possession sustainability.

And I think it's a lot more important than wins on the scoreboard, too. I just imagine myself as a talented young forward and how frustrating it would be to basically be playing 3 on 5 all game because half your team can't get you the puck cleanly, ever. I think that hurts their development significantly.

Fortunately, it's becoming less important with Cholo and Hronek up and coming. But I still don't want to trade Green. He may not be the best all-around player but he has a lot to teach our other boys. Let him retire in Detroit. Or at least let him stick around long enough to see a real bonafide replacement.

Reactions: Henkka

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Could you do this same about Edmonton Oilers?

They have had Sekera missing all season, and now Klefbom is out.

Would be interesting to see. Also Evan Bouchard was in at start of the season.

Sekera hasn't returned yet, so they haven't been 100% at any point.

I'll have to take a look if I have time this weekend.

I think it'll depend on what kind of ammo the team gives Holland and his ministry of propaganda for the rest of the season. If he doesn't move Howard/Nyquist/Jensen and the defense stays relatively healthy, and they go somewhere in .55+ range for the rest of the year I wouldn't be surprised at all if Holland justifies standing pat by pointing out how much better the team was when at full strength and that they have a chance to improve upon that for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad