Breaking News-PA and NHL meeting this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseOAK*

Jaded-Fan said:
After rejecting an unlinked $42 million, how is Goodenow going to present any offer under $42 million linked to the players without having his head handed back to him?
The players put him in charge and follow his lead, they are just as much to blame for the lousy deal that they end up getting.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
After rejecting an unlinked $42 million, how is Goodenow going to present any offer under $42 million linked to the players without having his head handed back to him?
Bob Teflon Goodenow keeps his job by blowing smoke by these guys and they keep on taking it... Bob must be related to that Benny Hinn guy who keeps on getting people to give him $$$ and tells them it's for the Lord... :dunno: In regard to the meeting, they will probably argue over who is gonna pay for lunch, and whether stuffed mushroom caps are allowed on the menu...Bob likes an open free market style sandwich...

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Leaf Army said:
I can't see any kind of progress made at this point. There's not enough incentive. If they couldn't come to an agreement to save the season, they sure as hell aren't going to come to an agreement now- or anytime soon.

funny if they suddenly figured it out, came to an agreement and then said 'we can't release this yet! people would be furious if we came to an agreement just in time to lose the season. we'd better wait till at least april. until then, use the same old "phylisophical differences" and "no progress" lines.

:lol

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
I will be totally pissed off actually if this meeting leads to a deal soon (which it wont, imo). Why now and not a month ago? will be the question everyone will demand be answered.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
My guess as to the events of this meeting:

#1 A LINKED Cap is agreed to (based off last seasons revenues), which will go UP OR DOWN based on league revenues. The Owners won't have pure linkage, but theu will get a linked cap. Players wont get screwed when/if the gravy train starts up again. Cap will be BARELY above $42.5M linked to last seasons revenues.

#2 The system will be modified as follows:

Unlimited 2 way arbitration.
QO of 100% OR team triggered arbitration.
UFA will decrease from 31 to 28, every 2 years, after the first year at 31 (due to large number of FA currently).
Forced arbitration if no contract agreed to by Sept 15th to prevent holdouts.

Basically, the owners will concede most points to the players, as long as they get their cap, AND the ability to reduce RFA salaries RELIABLY when they are out of whack.

two out of three*

Hockeyfan02 said:
Just waiting till the end of the week for the "no progress was made" reports.

Yup.. This meeting means jack ***** to me.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DR said:
i cant imagine this is legal ....

do you have some evidence to say he can do this ?

secondly, what makes you think those players will break rank with their union ? the union can permamently kick them out and once the stalemate is broken, they will never be allowed back in the union. which means they lose rights to merchandise profits, pension benefits and all the other perks that the union has.

dr

And in retaliation they can kick the NHLPA out as the players' representitive union and start a new one (all they need is 50.1%).

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What makes you think that the players want a reduced UFA age? THey have yet to ask for it in any of their formal or follow-up proposals.

It is the owners who want a lowered UFA age to get the bigger stars to the bigger markets while they are still in their prime. Let's face it, NEW YORK doesn't want to wait 6 years to rebuild their team all the way back up. They also dont want to be stuck bidding on stars that are past their prime.

I see nothing in the owners proposal (they haven't even made a formal proposal yet have they?) that will benefit the fans in any way, unless you like watching franchise values for the owners sky rocket... :dunno:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
A lower UFA period only benifits players if there is no arbitration..

More UFA on the market lowers the value for all players... If there were only two 30 goals scores before, they would be worth more than if there were ten 30 goal scores as UFA...

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
What makes you think that the players want a reduced UFA age? THey have yet to ask for it in any of their formal or follow-up proposals.

It is the owners who want a lowered UFA age to get the bigger stars to the bigger markets while they are still in their prime. Let's face it, NEW YORK doesn't want to wait 6 years to rebuild their team all the way back up. They also dont want to be stuck bidding on stars that are past their prime.

I see nothing in the owners proposal (they haven't even made a formal proposal yet have they?) that will benefit the fans in any way, unless you like watching franchise values for the owners sky rocket... :dunno:

The reason for thinking the players would want a reduced UFA age is because the players in other sports have favored lower UFA ages.

I can see no reason the majority of owners would want a lower UFA age. I agree the Rangers and other big market teams might find it advantageous, but I do not see the smaller market teams favoring that idea. And there are more small market teams than large market teams.

You may not see anything in the owner's proposal that would benefit the fan, but I think leveling the financial playing field is a very good thing for fans. I have no problem with the value of NHL franchises sky rocketing. I would consider that a sign of a healthy league which, IMO, benefits the fans.

I see no benefit to the fans of allowing player salaries to continue to escalate as they have in the past decade. It is not good for the fan when some teams are forced to trade their star players because they can no longer afford to keep them. It is not good for fans when some teams have the built in advantage of double the payroll of other teams. IMO, the previous CBA offered nothing for the fans. Certainly increased salaries did not lead to a better game on the ice.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Egil said:

#1 A LINKED Cap is agreed to (based off last seasons revenues), which will go UP OR DOWN based on league revenues. The Owners won't have pure linkage, but theu will get a linked cap. Players wont get screwed when/if the gravy train starts up again. Cap will be BARELY above $42.5M linked to last seasons revenues.

UFA will decrease from 31 to 28, every 2 years, after the first year at 31 (due to large number of FA currently).

Basically, the owners will concede most points to the players, as long as they get their cap, AND the ability to reduce RFA salaries RELIABLY when they are out of whack.
I hope you are right, but something tells me you are being too optomistic...

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
no way will anything happen at this meeting. the pressure was a month ago to get a deal done, not now, and not for another couple of months before the draft.

sorry, but i'm just not going to get my hopes up at all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Egil said:

:lol

This will be the shortest meeting yet ..

Bettman has gone on record as say that the NHL is mot bringing a new proposal and ..

"Sometimes, work stoppages change perceptions," he said.

The second linkage is mentioned the NHLPA will pack up and leave ..

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Ah, this looks pointless, oh well, there is no season to worry about, so I won't be wasting my time following this like I did back around the 20th of February when we all were positive there would be a season.

Sincerely, I don't know why this meeting is scheduled. I refuse to get my hopes up, and I think this could just be a short meeting to reaffirm their philosophical differences.

However, some ground on a few minor issues could be touched, leading way to some more positive communication regarding cost certainty in the next few weeks/months.

Vic Rattlehead*

Nothing will happens. Owners are starting to feel the pressure, three months before the draft. Players won't care about anything until September/October.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
I will save you guys a lot of time and energy, here is what will happen:

GB: You going to accept a hard cap with linkage?

BG: No.

GB: You sure?

BG: Yes.

GB: See you in August.

I'd love to be wrong, but I see no reason for optomism.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
Nothing will happens. Owners are starting to feel the pressure, three months before the draft. Players won't care about anything until September/October.
I'm not so sure the status of the 2005 Entry Draft is a pressing issue. The Showcase Event that it usually is has already been cancelled.

They'll have it when everything else is resolved.

SPARTAKUS*

I am very happy that the two sides will get right back at it. I think that both sides realize that the sooner a deal gets done the better it will be for both sides. I just hope that both sides are serious at getting a deal done.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Schlep Rock said:
Who can "kick them out"???

If the NHLPA expelled 50.1+% of the lowest payed members for crossing then those 50.1+% percent of players would be very annoyed. A union is elected by a majority of the workforce, union and non-union members can vote. Those 50.1+% would be free to hold a vote on whether or not the NHLPA is their representitive union. Bye Bye Bob. That is why the NHLPA would never kick out that many members, it would be committing suicide.

That would be like Saddam tormenting the 60% of Iraq that are Sh'ite then holding a free and fair election, with no pepercussions for voting no, on whether he's doing a good job.

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
i'm unnervingly opptimistic about this meeting... not that it will result in an agreement, but that the two sides will actually start negotiating, discussing possibilities (hypotheticals), and feeling each other out after the deadline deal didn't get done. i do not expect to hear anything more revealing than 'we had good discussions and we'll continue again soon'.

by the way, i like hearing from the league that there will be games in october. right now that confidence, not matter what it takes or who is involved, will guarantee more excitement than we've had since the cup finals.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Hands up for people who care?

I certainly dont! they've ruined hockey for me. Go Raptors! Go Bosh!

I hate Goodenow like i hate Bush!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->