Status
Not open for further replies.

godlh

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Danis realizes Dream but inherits Nightmare

Toronto - Dec 15, 2003

At a press conference held at the Air Canada Centre this morning, HFNHL Commissioner Matt Gledhill announced the hiring of the Toronto Maple Leafs' new General Manager...except he's not "new".

Former Dallas Stars GM Eric Danis was named as the Buds' GM...and he's thrilled about the idea of managing the team that every loves...or loves to hate!

"I am so happy right now, there is just no way I could pass up this opportunity". After two successful campaigns in the Lone Star State, Danis was forced to leave his post as Stars GM due to medical reasons...after a four month hiatus, Danis returned to the HFNHL Admin Team and vowed to not return as a GM, instead, Danis wanted to focus on admin issues. Danis was very active with the Waiver Draft and he had intended in focusing on league-wide issues instead of focusing his attention on one team...but..."the opportunity to be the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs doesn't come up every day, this is purely a decision based on passion for the that I feel is THE team in the hockey world...love 'em or hate 'em, everyone has an opinion on the Leafs".

But Danis is a realist and he knows that he is taking over a team that is not very healthy...both on player side and on the financial level..."I can't believe what happened to this team, and don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Martin Nordstrom, he was the first to inherite this mess, I'm just here to pick up the pieces and revive this storied franchise".

Asked if he was scared of facing the St. Louis Blues in the first match of the season Danis replied..."we have nothing to lose, we know they have built a powerhouse, but we're a very dangerous bunch, our boys will be playing their hearts out all year...also, it doesn't hurt that my first match as GM is against a fellow rival GM, Nick Quain"..."Nick and I had some very interesting points of views when I was in Dallas, he often thought that our Stars were out to take out Blues players...funny enough, we've actually gotten along since the "incidents"...all that is about to change!"

Danis takes over on a interim basis for the moment..."Matt (Commissioner Matt Gledhill) and I will review the situation in a few months...but I don't why I wouldn't be here for the long run".

Danis and his advisors were allowed, late last week, to start negociating with some prospects so that the team could start filling in the gaps as soon as possible, Danis and his group, the players and their agents were all made aware that any contract agreement would only be processed as long as Danis was named GM of the team. The team is prepared to announce the signing of a few players that will be able to provide immediate help in TO.

Bryan Duff
Leafs TV

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Welcome Back

Welcome Back Eric, I hope we can continue to trade like we did when you were Dallas GM.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
<b>Blues GM Rebuffs Claims by Old Rival</b>

Blues General Manager Nick Quain wasted no time dispelling rumours he and Eric Danis, the new Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager, had patched things up with bygones being bygones.

"Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm sure he was being sarcastic with you guys ", spouted Quain. “To be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready to patch things up with someone who masterminded a plan to target two of our franchise players. The league has the audacity to suspend Chris (Pronger) for an average crease clearing melee, in the playoffs no less, but his goons were allowed to check elbows first."

The incidents in question surrounded both Joe Thornton and Vincent Lecavalier at the end of the 2001-2002 seasons in which both players were injured to the head by questionable elbows from Dallas Stars players. It was the second last game of the season, and the Blues and Stars were already slated to match-up in the first round. What transpired next was one of the more physical and vicious post-season series the HFNHL has ever seen, with the Blues eventually upsetting the higher seeded Stars in six games. The teams renewed acquaintances again last post-season – this time a 4-1 series victory for the Blues – but Danis had passed along the reins to his predecessor at that point in time.

"I must admit, when I heard he was taking over in the Big Smoke I took a quick look at his roster to see who his designated hit-men would. I didn't see too much along those lines yet, but knowing him, I'm sure that'll change.†said Quain.

“Hey, I respect his abilities as a GM. I’m sure he’ll ultimately turn things around. I'm just disappointed he and the Leafs are in the other conference. It would have been nice to face him a few more times. After all, familiarity breeds contempt, and I can think of no one else I'd rather maintain my contempt for."

Quain emphasized the Blues would play their typical in your face game in their home opener against the Leafs, nothing more.

“But if they want to go to war, our guys are always ready for that.€

HFNHL Red Wings

Glad to have you back Eric. An active GM is all that can save that team.

Please remember to address that prospect list issue ASAP so I can calculate your prospect fees for the season ($50,000 per player drafted earlier than 2002 including RFA's and players who returned to Europe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad