Breaking News NHL TV Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles97

Feb 12, 2004
South Phila.
Announcing somtime today the NHL has reached an agreement with Comcast Cable Company on a 2 year $100 million contract. There will be at least 2 games a week shown on the OLN channel.
More details on WIP610 in Philly this morning.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
so... OLN it is huh.. i wonder if it is included in standard cable in san diego.

btw. 2 games/week? that doesn't sound enough. ESPN/ESPN2 was doing more than 2 weeks/week i am pretty sure.

also, does this mean there's no way ESPN2/ESPN is gonna carry NHL games now?

chum

Feb 27, 2002
just checked on cox.net

OLN is channel 65 in san diego.(sorry, don't have access to my TV at the moment)

HughJass*

Wow, league just got a 30% increase over the 2 year deal they had in place with ESPN if this is true. Still, OLN will still need to find some better programming for this to be profitable for them and to gain additional attention to the game on tv.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
chum said:
btw. 2 games/week? that doesn't sound enough. ESPN/ESPN2 was doing more than 2 weeks/week i am pretty sure.

At least 2 games a week. This means in case of other or future programming that could preempt the NHL (say it is something like tennis where their major tourneys are 2 weeks a year and they're every day).

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
This is great news, comcast owns INHD, so hockey in HD, Awesome!

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Styles97 said:
Announcing somtime today the NHL has reached an agreement with Comcast Cable Company on a 2 year $100 million contract. There will be at least 2 games a week shown on the OLN channel.
More details on WIP610 in Philly this morning.

OH boy, that's how to reach out to hockey fans, strike a deal with a cable company that not every fan has..... :shakehead

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
I would assume since it's going to be shown on OLN, that it will be available on satellite also ?

Claypool_*

Brewleaguer said:
OH boy, that's how to reach out to hockey fans, strike a deal with a cable company that not every fan has..... :shakehead

Not every fan has ESPN2 either.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
barnburner said:
I would assume since it's going to be shown on OLN, that it will be available on satellite also ?

OLN is available on Satellite but it's not part of the so called basic package. I have Dish Network and my programming is Americans top 120 and it's not part of the package. I'd say get Center Ice and screw comcast.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JWI19 said:
OLN is available on Satellite but it's not part of the so called basic package. I have Dish Network and my programming is Americans top 120 and it's not part of the package. I'd say get Center Ice and screw comcast.

I have OLN but need Center Ice regardless.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
JWI19 said:

I get OLN on my Direct-tv package, so I should be ok.
If I can scrape enuf nickles and dimes - I'm going to get
Centre Ice also.

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA
Spend the money on Center Ice...It Rocks! You can choose between 3 or 4 games each night, plus there's usually a late game too.

I'm just glad they have a national deal. Now maybe Comcast will role out the NHL Network and market the hell out of our great game. They need to partner up with Fox Sports and take down sorry a-- ESPN!

bit82

Jul 12, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
i get OLN on my extended cable. but i'll be away at college this fall and i doubt Pitt will have OLN as one of their chanels. This tv deal sucks.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
According to TSN (sorry, no link.. but it was second headline below Bert's reinstatement) ESPN still has right-to-match, so whatever deal is agreed upon, they will have the chance to match it.

I'm not sure which I want, OLN (which is extended cable where I live) or ESPN (which I don't even get, since I live in Canada). I'm likely going to order Center Ice.. Living in Ontario means we get Leaf games only.. oh wait! no we don't! they're on LeafsTV.. we get no games except Fri and Sat.. :(

Looks like I'll be doing well in university this winter.

MacDaddy TLC*

If the NHL approves the deal - and that is considered a formality at this point - the contract will be forwarded to ESPN. In April, ESPN opted to not renew its $70 million option to televise NHL games for 2005-06 and 2006-07, but the network retains the right to match the new offer, according to a source. ESPN has carried NHL games in the United States since 1985.

This is the part of the article that caught my eye. Do you think that maybe the NHL was using Comcast to try and leverage a better deal from ESPN? Comcast are involved in the league (Flyers), so they do have a reason to try and make ESPN ante up, without a serious interest in picking up the telecasts.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
If the NHL approves the deal - and that is considered a formality at this point - the contract will be forwarded to ESPN. In April, ESPN opted to not renew its $70 million option to televise NHL games for 2005-06 and 2006-07, but the network retains the right to match the new offer, according to a source. ESPN has carried NHL games in the United States since 1985.

This is the part of the article that caught my eye. Do you think that maybe the NHL was using Comcast to try and leverage a better deal from ESPN? Comcast are involved in the league (Flyers), so they do have a reason to try and make ESPN ante up, without a serious interest in picking up the telecasts.
No, I don't believe that the league was trying to gain leverage against ESPN. Comcast is going to try to start a channel to compete with ESPN. They're going to bid for the contracts of the NFL and NBA in addition to the NHL. Last year they tried a hostile takeover of Disney (ESPN) and now they want to compete with them.

I anticipate OLN becoming a standard channel, at least eventually.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
bit82 said:
i get OLN on my extended cable. but i'll be away at college this fall and i doubt Pitt will have OLN as one of their chanels. This tv deal sucks.

OLN!!! Is that the channel that has "Creepy Canada" and "Cottage Life"? OMG what have we become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->