Breaking News: Magnus Carlsen won't defend his title!

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
He stuck to his guns. He has nothing left to prove. He's already considered the GOAT by many. The next championship matches won't be as nearly compelling without him though.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I like how while graceful and elegant Carlson comes off in his statement, it still exudes big dick energy.

He's essentially bored of defending his spot as the best player in earth because he sees no challenge in it. That's hilarious and also stupidly impressive.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I see this as a culmination of decades of the computer age. Many GMs have complained about the status of chess for a long time now. Fischer complained about it that’s why he invented his own format. The truth is all these guys have memorized every line and variation to every opening etc and while they prepare for like 6 months they almost never come up with a radical novelty in a WC game, it’s book moves for like the first 20 moves…. So the breath of fresh air is the other time formats instead of purely classical.

So yeah, it’s not just big dick energy as much as Magnus is just truly tired of going through the prep for a taxing boring -not fun tournament.
He probably knew Firouja wasn’t gonna win the candidates but at least he knew if he did the kid would play some exciting/daring stuff. Magnus is just pushing for a more diverse WC to include the other time formas as well. I agree with him there. Chess has involved and most people and players are into these other time formats. I mean that Caruana final was insufferably boring.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Classical multi hour chess marathons are definitely a bore compared to faster time controls. A lot of safe draws game after game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like how while graceful and elegant Carlson comes off in his statement, it still exudes big dick energy.

He's essentially bored of defending his spot as the best player in earth because he sees no challenge in it. That's hilarious and also stupidly impressive.
I think its as much bored of the format and the insane prep that has to go into it. He's not retiring from chess right? He's just not going to defend his title as World Champ.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He's just so damn good. I'm not surprised he's bored of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad