OT: Breaking: Multiple Pedestrians Struck By Van At Yonge and Finch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
From CBC.ca

"Speculation surfaced Monday night around a Facebook post associated with the same name and as the ones that appear on Minassian's LinkedIn profile. CBC News has not been able to independently verify whether the Facebook post was, indeed, written by Minassian or created after that fact and intended to mislead.
The post referred to the "Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger." Rodger was the 22-year-old California man responsible for a deadly rampage in Isla Vista, Calif., that left six people dead and a dozen more injured.
In a video posted ahead of that 2014 attack, Rodger raged about a number of women turning down his advances, rendering men like him "incels," a term used by some groups to mean "involuntarily celibate"."

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
This guy wanted police to shoot him so he doesn't have to suffer.

Let him rot in jail for life. POS.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Police officer that was first on scene should be applauded for bringing this coward to justice instead of giving him the easy way out for his crime.

Great work from him and he should be appreciated by the city and police force for his actions.

Now we can allow this coward to pay for his sins. Believe me those in jail wont make him forget his crimes for his reasons. He wont feel alone in prison. YOU COWARD

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This hit really close to home for me, although I live in Newmarket now, I grew up in that area, know it very well, went to two different schools just blocks away. In fact I'm supposed to have a rec v-ball game at my old school there tomorrow.

It's just extremely sad and confusing when something SO random like this happens . . . and obviously, as a city. with Toronto being one of the safest large cities in the world, we really aren't used to this. I know we'll all have to prepare ourselves for some devastatingly sad stories of people killed, once the victim list comes out . . . this is going to be tough.

That being said, I'm proud and honestly surprised at how peacefully and efficiently the police responded to the scene (not trying to make a dig there, it's just a shocking, traumatic and extremely difficult high-pressure situation - real easy to make bad decisions). Proud of our city, and our response - no one instantly jumping to judgements on motives etc, and it looks like so far we are doing this the right way.

Peace to the victims.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Police officer that was first on scene should be applauded for bringing this coward to justice instead of giving him the easy way out for his crime.

Great work from him and he should be appreciated by the city and police force for his actions.

Now we can allow this coward to pay for his sins. Believe me those in jail wont make him forget his crimes for his reasons. He wont feel alone in prison. YOU COWARD
Yup. How many places would that guy have lived? Most cops would have empty the gun on him. Let him rot and make sure he gets the "Dangerous offenders" tag.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To be honest a couple of things are really bothering me in this whole unfortunate event, where the hell is Trudeau????

Our Prime Minister is no where to be found!!!! We are talking Toronto, which is 5 hours away from where he resides. You are telling me that he cannot come out to show support for the City that drives our country????

Another thing, CNN barely had no coverage of what happened yesterday. Someone goes and shoots up a school, or bombs are set off in Spain or England. All over CNN. Something tragic like this happens in Canada, Toronto. Nothing reported or barely reported.

Really bothers me that our Prime Minister and our North American neighbors have very little respect for the damage that has been done to our city with this tragedy. Was it sad to see what happened with the bus and junior hockey players? Definitely, I supported the cause and followed it with a broken heart for the families of that tragedy. But we are talking about someone that mass murdered innocent Canadians. That struck fear into the city. And our Prime Minister went out for a vigil in Alberta, but is no where to be found in this instance.

On the flip side, tip of the cap to Tory, Wynne (as much as I cant stand her) and our police chief (who was in New York when this all went down, 8 hours away) to step up for the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Supposedly the motive is get this: The dude kept getting turned down by women and lost it. “Involuntary celibate” what a ****ing dumbass

You're assuming that was the motive. The CBC is running with it because it fits their narrative, but there is no actual info out there about motive yet.

Reactions: CelticDruid

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This guy wanted police to shoot him so he doesn't have to suffer.

Let him rot in jail for life. POS.
I know the cop is being lauded as a hero for not shooting, but how I wish the cop would’ve blown out his kneecaps to make that POS feel some of the pain he unleashed.

Injured survivors may lose limbs, have permanent disabilities, brain trauma, or any other countless number of hardships for the rest of their lives.

Meanwhile this POS will get to walk free before he’s even 50 years old, and knowing the joke of a judicial system in this country he’ll be free much sooner than 25 years

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I know the cop is being lauded as a hero for not shooting, but how I wish the cop would’ve blown out his kneecaps to make that POS feel some of the pain he unleashed.

Injured survivors may lose limbs, have permanent disabilities, brain trauma, or any other countless number of hardships for the rest of their lives.

Meanwhile this POS will get to walk free before he’s even 50 years old, and knowing the joke of a judicial system in this country he’ll be free much sooner than 25 years

Ten counts of first degree murder, 15 counts of attempted murder. He's never going to walk free. This POS is going to die in prison where he belongs.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

That only happens in movies and TV. In real life you are trained to shoot at the largest body mass - the torso - to ensure that you hit your target.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Just want to point out it’s been confirmed they are related. And media are bringing the Rogers incident up because of the relationship between the two.

Facebook Post by Suspected Toronto Attacker Praises Elliot Rodger, Announces 'Incel Rebellion' Has Begun

The media, particularly the CBC, have 'confirmed' it.

As the National Post says a "Facebook post that appears to be from Minassian shortly before the van attack suggests his spark may have been frustration or anger over unsuccessful attempts to attract a female companion."

Since nothing has been confirmed, not even that he really posted that, we have no idea what his actual motivations were.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Ten counts of first degree murder, 15 counts of attempted murder. He's never going to walk free. This POS is going to die in prison where he belongs.
If this was the US he would serve consecutive services which, in this case, would be 250 years for murder if convicted of all counts.

In our joke of a judicial system he gets 25 years for all 10 murders as they are served concurrently and not consecutively. It’s basically the same whether he kills 1 person or 50. He will be out on the streets in <25 years I’m afraid to say. Hopefully he gets gang raped and beat up every day that he’s in prison.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah he's certainly never getting free. Justin Bourque got 75 years in prison and that was "only" 3 murders iirc.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If this was the US he would serve consecutive services which, in this case, would be 250 years for murder if convicted of all counts.

In our joke of a judicial system he gets 25 years for all 10 murders as they are served concurrently and not consecutively. It’s basically the same whether he kills 1 person or 50. He will be out on the streets in <25 years I’m afraid to say. Hopefully he gets gang raped and beat up every day that he’s in prison.

There is no chance our judicial system will ever allow him to walk. I'm sure they will convict and sentence him accordingly to ensure that he spends the rest of his worthless life in jail.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The media, particularly the CBC, have 'confirmed' it.

As the National Post says a "Facebook post that appears to be from Minassian shortly before the van attack suggests his spark may have been frustration or anger over unsuccessful attempts to attract a female companion."

Since nothing has been confirmed, not even that he really posted that, we have no idea what his actual motivations were.

facebook confirmed that it was a real post that was made right when the attack started. it wasn't a photoshop or a fake profile or anything like that.

safe to say that he is a confirmed incel.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm glad they got this guy and the focus can shift to best wishes towards the survivors and condolences to the families of those that lost their lives. Just horrible how many people's lives were lost and damaged through this.

Kind of sad that some want to use this tragedy as an excuse to whine and complain about the criminal justice system. Spreading inaccurate information doesn't help anyone.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

First responders like the police and the paramedics can't be thanked enough. The fact that Sunnybrook was close enough and that it is well-known for treating patients hit by cars is a blessing.

Unfortunately this scum will be getting fan mail from deranged people which will serve to boost his ego. Disgusting.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
facebook confirmed that it was a real post that was made right when the attack started. it wasn't a photoshop or a fake profile or anything like that.

safe to say that he is a confirmed incel.

Even if he is an incel, there is no indication that that was his motivation. That info is yet to come out.

From the NP: "Police say it is too early to speculate as to a motive, and have emphasized that all aspects are being investigated and nothing has been ruled out."

And no, Facebook has not confirmed it. From the same article quoted above, and linked below, "A Facebook spokesperson said on background the post seems to be a legitimate post made to Minassian’s Facebook page before the company took it down."

It says "seems to be", not definitely is.

Again, as the police said it is too early top speculate. Could that have been his motivation? Yes. Could something else have been his motivation? yes.

What we know about Alek Minassian: Toronto van attack suspect was briefly in Canadian Forces, posted about ‘Incel Rebellion’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad