Advice: Breaking in Skates Unable to be Baked

therok94

May 11, 2017
NY
I just got back into hockey after taking about 4 or 5 years off. I've recently bought CCM Tacks 3092s. When i asked about baking them the guy said he wouldn't but not that they couldn't be. To be honest at the store even walking around they felt like magic so i figured it didn't matter. I went to skate last night and I noticed on the side of my feet where the balls of my are and also the opposite sides feel very tight and uncomfortable while i skate. It hurts a good amount. i feel like if the sides were stretched like a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch it would be perfect.

Whats the best method to stretch them. Someone told me to get them punched out but someone else told me that it could damage the boot and to try skating with two pairs of hot socks on. I thought that sounded weird but i am willing to try it if it will help. What do you guys think is the best way to break in skates without being able to bake them?
Side note: if i would have known that the 4092s were able to be baked i would have just bought those. :/ The store said because i skated in them once i could not return them, which doesn't 100% makes sense considering how are you really supposed to know how skates feel until you're on the ice.

Thanks for the help

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What the guy said is BS. ANY skate can be baked; it's just that skate of a certain tier and above have materials DESIGNED to be baked. That doesn't mean that lower tier skates like yours cannot be; it's just that the overall effect/potential benefit is less because the materials do not react to heat the way that higher tiered skates do. You are heating the skates in a convection oven; no reason why they wouldn't do that for you ideally free of charge or for a nominal fee.

Either go bake to the store and ask to be baked again, or go somewhere else.

Think of it this way, you are spot heating skates anyways if you intend to punch/stretch, so why not go for the less permanent/risky method first, in a regular bake?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad