Breaking in new skates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
So I got my first pair of brand new skates for Christmas today, and I was wondering what I need to go through in terms of protection/breaking-in/anything special that comes with new skates.

I'd been wearing a pair of really ancient CCM Tacks 452s in a size 7.5D that I bought used and had blister problems with. When I got fitted for the new skates, they told me I wore 6.0D skates. Heh. That may have been the problems I had with the old ones.

The new pair is a 2003 Easton SBX model (not the Ultra-Lites) with the redesigned tongue that prevents the skate-bite problems present with the early models. It's a soft-fit boot, which I read means there's little to no break-in period, but I don't know if that's true or just advertising.

The fit on these is great, as the narrow toe-cap fits the way my foot tapers off at the front. It feels like my big toe is a bit forward in the boot, but I think that's from wearing too-big skates for more than a year and thinking that's how skates should fit.

Any help is appreciated!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kritter471 said:
So I got my first pair of brand new skates for Christmas today, and I was wondering what I need to go through in terms of protection/breaking-in/anything special that comes with new skates.

I'd been wearing a pair of really ancient CCM Tacks 452s in a size 7.5D that I bought used and had blister problems with. When I got fitted for the new skates, they told me I wore 6.0D skates. Heh. That may have been the problems I had with the old ones.

The new pair is a 2003 Easton SBX model (not the Ultra-Lites) with the redesigned tongue that prevents the skate-bite problems present with the early models. It's a soft-fit boot, which I read means there's little to no break-in period, but I don't know if that's true or just advertising.

The fit on these is great, as the narrow toe-cap fits the way my foot tapers off at the front. It feels like my big toe is a bit forward in the boot, but I think that's from wearing too-big skates for more than a year and thinking that's how skates should fit.

Any help is appreciated!

Put on a pair of damp socks and then put on your skates. Wear them for 45-mins to an hour, everyday for about a week.

This will help mold the boot to your foot.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Personally I wouldn't do anything. Heat molding them is what people usually do to cut the break-in period but anything like that will also shorten the life of your boot. Most skates these days are pretty soft, especially skates like the SBX (it's even in the name, lol), and comfortable right out of the box. But being that they're not as hard as the more classic construction, they wear out more quickly. So I'd be more concerned about keeping them in good shape. Just wear them, if they're a proper fit in length and width they should feel fine after just a couple ice times. I just bought some Vapor XX and after 2 ice times they felt absolutely perfect.

bmxer

Apr 14, 2004
Finland
If you head to your local hockey shop, they should have the special skate oven... When I got my skates I did this and they heated them up for free for me.
But I know of people that have done this i there own conventional oven, but you'd have to know the right temp, obviously.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
What I usualy do is boil some water in a ketel. Flip my skate upside down and let the steam go in the skate for a bit(20-60 seconds I guess...) then I put the skates on and walk arround with them, crouch, etc.. Reapeat a few times if needed.

Also I dont know how that part of the skate is called...but on the back the "lip" that's supposed to protect the achilles tendon. I break it (bend backwards so it's not stiff anymore). Cause on new skates that's what hampers my skating abilities the most. When it's stiff I cant push with the tip of my feet like I want to.

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
Kritter, i have been wearing those exact skates for just over a year now. The SBX's are much easier to break in than other Easton skates, but there is still going to be a break in period that will take a little bit of time.

First off, I would bake the skates. The instructions on how to do this should have come w/ your skates. This will help a little, but not nearly as much as advertised. Also, when you just sitting around relaxing around the house, wear the skates, get them nice and tight around your feet.

And of course, skate in them as often as possible. It took me over 30 games to really feel comfortable in these skates. However, I'm very very please with them. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad