Breaking down the Amateur Scout staff

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
yeah, i personally can't believe how much of a bust horvat has turned out to be

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
You post as if you're posing a question.

Yet you give us statements.

I don't umderstand.

it's more of a probable scenario than a statement

---------------

Canucks scouts have average - poor reputation/track record.

You make a trade that probably heavily relies on said scouts.

These two things aren't going to go together too well.

Now that's my statement

LolClarkson*

Especially in the Kassian trade. Canucks weren't picking that high that year.

Mike Gillis probably barely or even never saw him play.

He has to highly rely on his scouting staff for an opinion.

Remember these scouts and this scouting philosophy brought you the likes of Alex Grenier and Alex Mallet.

So if the scout is telling the GM you're getting the next Cam Neely in Kassian and the next Patrice Bergeron in Horvat

But in reality it's actually the next Steve Bernier and Kyle Brodziak

Its a good question.

Funny how Bernier came from Buffalo too.

LolClarkson*

imagine how bad Buffalo would be if they didn't steal Hodgson from us..

John Bender*

imagine how bad Buffalo would be if they didn't steal Hodgson from us..

Yeah, those two extra goals he has over Kassian makes a massive difference. There is of course the issue that....he....like gets 1st line Ice Time, PP Time and never plays defense, is generally a soft player, but yes, otherwise, you're right.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Scouting has gone from abysmal to not entirely terrible under MG's regime, but clearly there needs to be a massive overhaul. I'd sit down and have a long, hard look at each guy's record when it comes to recommendations and the results those players have generated. Player development is a lot better now that it was in the dark, long-ago days, but yeah. Scouting has been an obvious sore point for far too long and I'm sick of the organization hanging on to people who just plain and simple haven't got the job done.

Pretty much this although it's hard to know how each guy gets his opinion weighed in comparison to others of the final decisions but scouting has been a real issue here in Vancouver fro a long time, last years draft being an aberration and perhaps a large enough one to save some jobs too.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
[Enter Thread] TheWanderer

that's why i mentioned quality of scouts too

Just like how this organization is framed to attract players to come here. Should it not be the same with scouts too. It doesn't hurt that the Canucks can and probably willing to pay

Who the *bleep* recommends: Stefan Schneider, Kellan Tochkin, Bill Sweatt, Eric Walsky, Evan Oberg... and the list goes on

Don't give me the excuse of "they're still in juniors". Gillis & his bandit of scouts have had four drafts to work with + all the undrafted signings.
And there's more than one round in a draft. What happened to Alex Mallet being Gillis' Andrew Shaw. Yann Sauve got beat out by Ryan Stanton for at least a sixth d-man slot.

It's management's fault for trading away all these picks. If you're gonna do that, then that's fine. We have money and scout man-power. There's 50 contract slots + the ones that can slide.
Go out there and find some talent. Don't come back and be like, we traded away our third rounder, but here's Bill Sweatt in return

...Complains about Sauve and Mallet, then goes on to complain about trading away mid-range picks.

[Exit thread] TheWanderer

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Remember these scouts and this scouting philosophy brought you the likes of Alex Grenier and Alex Mallet.

So if the scout is telling the GM you're getting the next Cam Neely in Kassian and the next Patrice Bergeron in Horvat

What.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The proof (and I hope I am wrong) will be in a couple years, when the twins are gone. Then, we shall see how the next 'core' does.

You have to validate your theory with some substances yo.

You have no comparison or context to suggest your idea against another (more positive one).

When asked to give us more, you just cited the time-frame for when your idea (or anyone's) will be known. Yeah. We get that when our current core is gone, we'll get to see what the next one will look like. Now why do you think that we're any pace off the majority of teams on their next 'cores' ?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Really ? You think Gillis didn't even bother to google him? *head shake*

And you make it sound as if trusting his scouts is a sin. micro manage ftw? Burke ?

Last edited:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
yeah, i personally can't believe how much of a bust horvat has turned out to be

lulz.. I personally think Gillis' ability to scout college and FAs in general has been phenomenal. Gained back our loss of picks in trades just by that alone. (Quality yield versus quantity of picks.)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

You do realize that Kassian was traded to the Windsor Spitfires the year Taylor Hall was expected to go #1 overall in the NHL draft? The playoffs and the Memorial Cup? That was likely the most watched team that year. If Gillis didn't get a chance to watch Kassian play in Kassian's draft year, you can bet he had a chance to watch Kassian play the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad