TV: Breaking Bad

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I just dont see how a movie fits in with the universe. The reason I love this show is because it's the first series I watched where I genuinely enjoyed the slower pace. The series took it's time, and never rushed to get to plot points without fleshing everything out first, and ended with a fantastic payoff in the end.

I dont see how a movie fits in with that at all. A movie would undoubtedly be a more rushed and linear story, and my biggest fear would be it turning into an action movie of some sort. That would just completely take me out of the film, because it's not what the storytelling was about in the series itself. If it comes to actually happen, I'll check it out, but how much of a story do you really have left to tell with Jesse. The series ended, at least to me, exactly as it should have.

Some things need to be left alone.

Reactions: glovesave_35

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I just dont see how a movie fits in with the universe. The reason I love this show is because it's the first series I watched where I genuinely enjoyed the slower pace. The series took it's time, and never rushed to get to plot points without fleshing everything out first, and ended with a fantastic payoff in the end.

I dont see how a movie fits in with that at all. A movie would undoubtedly be a more rushed and linear story, and my biggest fear would be it turning into an action movie of some sort. That would just completely take me out of the film, because it's not what the storytelling was about in the series itself. If it comes to actually happen, I'll check it out, but how much of a story do you really have left to tell with Jesse. The series ended, at least to me, exactly as it should have.

Some things need to be left alone.

Actually aren't most fans in agreement that the final season was rather meh with how rushed and on the fly it was written up?

The ending was rather bad.

Movie would be sweet if Jesse is captured half way in and he is brought to justice for his crimes

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Maybe it is a Pilot for new Seasons with new stories. They want to test, how will the people react. After they will see, its working, they will give us another bunch of stories in this universe.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Jesse was one of the worst things about the show.

Hope he gets captured and tortured and killed...or at least life in prison.

Never got the sympathy people had for him
He started the show pretty goofy and silly, which I think people found endearing. He had some redeeming qualities and I think was a good person. An example was the episode at the drug addict's house when he takes care of the kid and clearly has a big heart. Even with all the shit he was involved in he was still caring in a lot of ways. He also had his personal struggles which I think people could relate to.

Walt was at first too but became a bad person, Jesse was always a good person that knew he was doing bad things. Walt kept going off the deep end while Jesse sort of realized what was happening and tried fighting against it.

To me, the sympathy comes from Jane's death, Andrea's death, the fact that Walt used him and treated him badly, the fact that he was kidnapped and used by Jack and Todd etc.

Reactions: The Nuge

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I want an honest answer. If you'd never seen or heard of Breaking Bad, and someone showed you the pilot for BCS, how many of you would think it was so great?

I bet more than half wouldn't even bother watching the rest, and some might not even make it through the pilot. Seriously, it was as dull as watching paint dry. Go back and watch it, you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: Flukeshot

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Jesse was one of the worst things about the show.

Hope he gets captured and tortured and killed...or at least life in prison.

Never got the sympathy people had for him

Jesse in the end was a far better person than Walt. Some of his choices in where he attempts to do the right thing got him in deep, specifically anything to do with harming or using kids set him off. Walt didn't seem to give a shit as it was a means to an ends. He attempts to get out of the business, starts giving away his money and then Hank catches him.

Jesse is one of the only characters to show any remorse during the series.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I want an honest answer. If you'd never seen or heard of Breaking Bad, and someone showed you the pilot for BCS, how many of you would think it was so great?

I bet more than half wouldn't even bother watching the rest, and some might not even make it through the pilot. Seriously, it was as dull as watching paint dry. Go back and watch it, you'll see what I mean.

i certainly would have stopped watching BCS a loooong time ago without the BB tie in.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He started the show pretty goofy and silly, which I think people found endearing. He had some redeeming qualities and I think was a good person. An example was the episode at the drug addict's house when he takes care of the kid and clearly has a big heart. Even with all the **** he was involved in he was still caring in a lot of ways. He also had his personal struggles which I think people could relate to.

Walt was at first too but became a bad person, Jesse was always a good person that knew he was doing bad things. Walt kept going off the deep end while Jesse sort of realized what was happening and tried fighting against it.

To me, the sympathy comes from Jane's death, Andrea's death, the fact that Walt used him and treated him badly, the fact that he was kidnapped and used by Jack and Todd etc.

Agreed. The difference between Jesse and Walter, Skyler, etc is that Jesse wanted to be a better person, and wanted to get out. The others knew it was wrong, and wanted more. The attempts to do right took him from being the goofy sidekick that you had a chuckle at, to being someone you wanted to be able to start a new life. And then all the trauma just adds to the sympathy.

Compelling...

Yep. There’s at least enough there that you can have Walter in the movie without it seeming forced. If they want to go that way that is.

But who’s going to watch a spinoff show without having seen any of the original? It can be slower because people are already invested. I say this though having never seen BCS (my wife hated Saul, and I haven’t got around to watching it alone)

Reactions: Rob Brown

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I've always been a fan of Bob Odenkirk, and his charisma alone would've kept me watching. My wife, maybe/maybe not.

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
I don't know how I feel about a movie. Love the show and thought the finale was great. I mean I'll watch it but hopefully they don't tarnish the legacy of the show.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't know how you can hate her in a show that features people like Fring, Salamanca (any of them), and (Walter) White.

It's been a while since I watched the show and I haven't re-watched since it ended. I remember disliking her character because she seemed like she didn't mind all the money but never stopped complaining about how it came in. I get that she didn't ask for the life that was foisted on her, but she had some really easy to dislike characteristics.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's been a while since I watched the show and I haven't re-watched since it ended. I remember disliking her character because she seemed like she didn't mind all the money but never stopped complaining about how it came in. I get that she didn't ask for the life that was foisted on her, but she had some really easy to dislike characteristics.

That’s not even close. She never seemed to care one bit about money. She helped Walt launder it when she finally compromised in the situation Walt created. This is what I’m taking about when people don’t understand a character

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That’s not even close. She never seemed to care one bit about money. She helped Walt launder it when she finally compromised in the situation Walt created. This is what I’m taking about when people don’t understand a character
I would have to rewatch one day. You are obviously closer to the show than I am. I distinctly remember not liking her character. And I don't care if she was supposed to be annoying. That isn't brilliant television, it's just annoying.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I feel like most people that watched BB don't understand Skylar's character what so ever..
That's exactly what the Season threads on this forum proved. Most people just saw her as a hypocrite and a nag, when in fact her character was faced with an incredibly dangerous and stressful situation, raising a family in the fallout of Walt's actions.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, never understood the bizarre hatred she got. I know a lot of it was likely because she didn’t fit neatly into some female ideal many men and sadly women have, so she was oddly demonized to the point Anna Gunn said people couldn’t separate fiction from reality:

Opinion | I Have a Character Issue

Always found how she was viewed as being pretty pathetic by many fans of the show to be honest.

Here is an updated article from the summer where she says many people finally woke up after the show ended and realized Walt wasn’t a swell guy anymore. So then finally attitudes toward her character shifted the other way.

Anna Gunn Of ‘Breaking Bad’ Reveals How Cruel The Skyler Backlash Was | HuffPost

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Skylar thing was weird. I get that she wasn't a "fun" character, but her decisions always made sense to me in the context of the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad