• The Sopranos

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • The Wire

Votes: 51 40.5%

• Total voters

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Love them all but I was most into Breaking Bad. It probably has to do with the fact that I watched it from the jump and was the person telling other people they had to watch it. Got a lot of friends into it, including watching the 1st 3-4 seasons (to get caught up) with my now wife. I was a season or two late to Mad Men. Only caught up the Sopranos for the last season or two and watched the Wire completely after it was done. In terms of my own personal enjoyment, which isn't the same as best, I'd go...

Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Mad Men
Wire

All great though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't seen all of Mad Men but it not being about crime makes it the most interesting and fun of this bunch.

The Wire and the Sopranos are just behind it.

Breaking Bad was a bad show carried by a great lead.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Going by how many times I've watched each series all the way through the winner would be Mad Men but that's because it plays on a loop, in order and commercial free on Directv. I've watched it at least 3 or 4 times and I still watch it every day when I get home from work. I would probably do the same for BB and Sopranos under the same circumstances. I need to watch Sopranos at home. Both times I watched it at work so it never got my full undivided attention.

All 3 are completely different kinds of shows so it's hard to say which is best.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Wire is the best among them and deserves almost all of its high praise

The Sopranos is also great and deserves a lot of its high praise

Mad Men is very good and deserves some of its high praise

Breaking Bad is ridiculously overrated and overpraised, despite being entertaining/engaging/thrilling in a shallow pop-corny/roller-coaster kind of way and having high production values. It has much less real substance/worthwhile value than it aims for and gets credit for, IMO (just like something like Game of Thrones). It presents a bunch of heavier subjects, but it's clearly more interested in winning the viewer over with a constant cycle of generic/repetitive dramatic-suspense-pay-off tricks than actually doing anything interesting with them. It's just "Whooaaa, what bad-*** way is Walt going to get himself out of this impossible predicament!?" over and over again.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The Wire
The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

The first two are way better than BB or MM

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Sopranos for quality of writing and characters
Breaking Bad for story line

The Wire was okay, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that so many make it out to be

I only made it through the first 3 or 4 episodes of Mad Men before tapping out

Reactions: Stylizer1

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It always confuses me why everyone seems to agree that HBO-style dramas dominate the Mt. Rushmore of television. To me, television comedies have been much more satisfying, for the most part. When you move past The Wire and The Sopranos, there's not really a whole lot there, in my opinion. I would pretty easily take shows like Atlanta, Louie, prime Simpsons, Monty Python, The Office UK, Arrested Development, and others over just about all the dramas out there besides those two big ones.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I really enjoyed watching The Wire, but I have never really understood how it is held in such high high regard by many. I'm even willing to call it a great show.

Breaking Bad also tends to be very overrated.

My list:

Sopranos

The rest

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It always confuses me why everyone seems to agree that HBO-style dramas dominate the Mt. Rushmore of television. To me, television comedies have been much more satisfying, for the most part. When you move past The Wire and The Sopranos, there's not really a whole lot there, in my opinion. I would pretty easily take shows like Atlanta, Louie, prime Simpsons, Monty Python, The Office UK, and others over just about all the dramas out there besides those two big ones.

I agree with your general sentiment. Peep Show is on my Mount Rushmore.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Only saw The Sopranos and The Wire. I pick The Sopranos. The Wire suffers terribly from a bad final season whereas the former never stumbles. Would probably rank Atlanta and Horace and Pete above it as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad