Breakaways (What to do on)

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I get one or two break-aways each game. The problem starts when comes the time to shoot! I had two this morning. Each time I shot directly on the goalie with a 3-mile-an-hour shot... :cry: What does work for you? I should go on a parking lot and make some tests? I think I've answered my own question.... :biglaugh:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Read the goalie. If they are out too far, a deke is usually the best option. If they are deeper than a shot. Try to move across the net a bit to get the goalie to open up. Try going to some Shinny/open hockey and working on moves and shooting. You can also set-up a net and pucks in the backyard or local schoolyard to practice if you like.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Eazy, I would certainly go for the decke. I have two problems thought: 1) I feel the pressure to get that goal and I chock under that pressure 2) I spent alot of energy just by rushing to net from the blue line. When it's time to make that decke, I hardly have power left. I need to get in a better shape to get that extra energy to make the decke. 3) I keep the ball way too far ahead of me, so I can't get any power on that ball. The only way is to go to that school backyard across the street. If I can make that decke, then I will get some goals. So far, I hit alot of posts and missed the net by few inches many many times. If someone lives in Toronto and would like to practice shots and passes with me, please let me know! We could even rent a gym for $35 if we are a few guys, maybe 4 or 5. I am sure it's worthwhile.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Hockeylover said:
Eazy, I would certainly go for the decke. I have two problems thought: 1) I feel the pressure to get that goal and I chock under that pressure 2) I spent alot of energy just by rushing to net from the blue line. When it's time to make that decke, I hardly have power left. I need to get in a better shape to get that extra energy to make the decke. 3) I keep the ball way too far ahead of me, so I can't get any power on that ball. The only way is to go to that school backyard across the street. If I can make that decke, then I will get some goals. So far, I hit alot of posts and missed the net by few inches many many times. If someone lives in Toronto and would like to practice shots and passes with me, please let me know! We could even rent a gym for $35 if we are a few guys, maybe 4 or 5. I am sure it's worthwhile.

I live in Toronto . . Are you talking about floorhockey?

It took me forever to score on break aways. I used to think to much, then I stopped thinking ..

Always wait for the goalie to make his move first. .

In houseleagues, stick handling, faking a shot, then shotting works ..

In floor hockey, high shots .. always work well.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Skittles said:
I live in Toronto . . Are you talking about floorhockey?

It took me forever to score on break aways. I used to think to much, then I stopped thinking ..

Always wait for the goalie to make his move first. .

In houseleagues, stick handling, faking a shot, then shotting works ..

In floor hockey, high shots .. always work well.

Yes, floor hockey. I play at Leacock and at the Rinx (arenas). On both break aways I thought I would NOT score. I gave up before trying. I was in front of the goalie and wondered, "OK. Now what am I supposed to do with that ball???" I wish I had my teamate coming on the other wing so I make him a pass. I'm better at passing than scoring. On both occasions the goalie covered the net perfectly. What about shooting between his legs? If he stops it, I can get the rebound. And what about stopping, and try to get around him? Of course, I need to make sure I don't have a man on me. That becomes complicated... What about going away with the ball and wait that my teamate joins me in the zone? Next time I will make a plan with my teamates on what to do when I get that breakaway.

I am off to the store to buy a net!

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Not got much time right now so i'll post more later if you want, but when you skate in on a goalie, they often (in my experience) look at how you are carrying the puck/ball. If you have the puck by your side on your forehand, they expect that you are more likely to shoot due to the position of the puck. If you have the puck out in front of you, they expect that you are more likely to deke.

If you have time, try mixing between the two or hold the puck out at a 45 degree angle in front of you (forehand preferably) so you can go with either move as easily as the other.

If you want any more info, i'll post some more stuff later tonight. Hope the above sounds useful.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Try to get the goalie out of postition. Use change of speed to get him too far back or too far out, and use lateral motion so that he becomes too far to one side. The first requires that you come in as fast as possible. Slowing down to give yourself more time to think just makes it more confusing and lets the goaltender position himself better. When you get to the net, check to see if he is in the right position, if he is then slow change speeds and/or direction. If he isn't, then take your shot or make your deke.

Finally, look for where you can score... if he gives you room to put the puck in the back of the net then take it. Otherwise, make a deke to try to give yourself an easy shot.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Hockeylover said:
Yes, floor hockey. I play at Leacock and at the Rinx (arenas). On both break aways I thought I would NOT score. I gave up before trying. I was in front of the goalie and wondered, "OK. Now what am I supposed to do with that ball???" I wish I had my teamate coming on the other wing so I make him a pass. I'm better at passing than scoring. On both occasions the goalie covered the net perfectly. What about shooting between his legs? If he stops it, I can get the rebound. And what about stopping, and try to get around him? Of course, I need to make sure I don't have a man on me. That becomes complicated... What about going away with the ball and wait that my teamate joins me in the zone? Next time I will make a plan with my teamates on what to do when I get that breakaway.

I am off to the store to buy a net!

I don't have room in my apartment to store a net. So I'm going to buy some wood and make myself one. At least I will be able to fold it and put it under my bed. More work, but worthwhile. :yo:

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Hockeylover said:
I don't have room in my apartment to store a net. So I'm going to buy some wood and make myself one. At least I will be able to fold it and put it under my bed. More work, but worthwhile. :yo:

After all, I bought the net. I will let it in a corner. It makes a nice decoration, after all. :D I would have saved $10 by making my own that would have been shaky and not that nice.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
EazyB97 said:
Read the goalie. If they are out too far, a deke is usually the best option. If they are deeper than a shot. Try to move across the net a bit to get the goalie to open up. Try going to some Shinny/open hockey and working on moves and shooting. You can also set-up a net and pucks in the backyard or local schoolyard to practice if you like.

I've been going to shinny/open hockey for 6 years, but never cared to experiment moves. I have always prefered to stand in the creast hoping for the ball to come to me, or to shoot without trying to get around people. But I will try those moves in the weeks to come. I will surely lose the ball often at first, but will get better. I see alot of people doing it even though they are not often successful. I now understand they don't really care about the damages they can cause to their team by losing the ball; they just want to practice the moves to get better at it. That's why it would be so valuable for me to find a companion to practice with.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Qui Gon Dave said:
Not got much time right now so i'll post more later if you want, but when you skate in on a goalie, they often (in my experience) look at how you are carrying the puck/ball. If you have the puck by your side on your forehand, they expect that you are more likely to shoot due to the position of the puck. If you have the puck out in front of you, they expect that you are more likely to deke.

If you have time, try mixing between the two or hold the puck out at a 45 degree angle in front of you (forehand preferably) so you can go with either move as easily as the other.

If you want any more info, i'll post some more stuff later tonight. Hope the above sounds useful.

Thanks Qui. I will try that. If you have other advice, please go ahead!

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
My daily hour walking made me alot of good to the knees and chins. I don't feel anymore pain in these areas. However, towards the end of the game, I can't run very much. My legs don't hurt, but I'm out of breath. I guess a some aerobic exercises should help me. I don't have a bike, don't want to go to a gym, and hesitate to jog because I've heard it may cause knee problems. Stair climbing is a possibility. It's free, will increase my aerobic capacity and will build strong calves and legs. For a month last Winter I used to climb 13 stairs in my apartment building 13 times a day, so the equivalent of the CN Tour! At first my breathing was so loud when I reached the 15th floor. After a few days, it was not that bad. I'm starting tomorrow! :yo:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I almost always learn to my shooter side, and go backhand, fake it a little then go backhand, goalie cant tell ever where its going, but you got to get him leaning to a side or your gonna be stopped easily

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Hockeylover said:
Thanks Qui. I will try that. If you have other advice, please go ahead!

I'm at work at the moment so i can only be brief but here are another couples of things which might be of interest:

1 - you mentioned in a post above that you never cared to experiment with stickhandling moves. If you would like to change that, i really recommend this webpage
It was originally posted by another poster here but its so useful in this forum, i gotta keep reposting it. Some great stuff on it. Check out the videos.

2 - You said that you felt your shot wasn't very strong. If you want to build up the power of your wrist shot, as well as improving technique, you can do an exercise to improve strength. For this, you need an old stick/shaft, some rope or a shoe lace and a weight (doesn't have to be very heavy). Drill a hole in the middle of the shaft and attach one end of the lace through the hole, and attach the weight to the other end.

Then you hold the stick in both hands with your arms out straight and using only your wrist, turn the shaft round to wind the weight up towards the shaft. Do this to move the weight both up and down and practice rotating your wrists both towards you and away from you. This will help you get a good snap to your wrist shot.

I'll leave it there because my boss expects me to do some work. Apparently, this isnt.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Everyone gets caught up on what to do on a breakaway. Deke, or shoot?

My advice is go with what suits you. Use your strengths. If you are a good stickhandler, try to deke. If you are a shooter, shoot. If you are neither, shoot.

The best option is to shoot. If you try to deke and fail, you look like a ******. If you shoot and the goalie saves it, oh well, that happens. My advice on where to shoot is stick side low, or over the shoulder. Those are the two hardest areas for a goalie to stop. And make sure you shoot quickely. Dont give him all day to think about it.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I push the puck slowly towards the net, skate ahead of it, and then wrestle the goaltender out of the way.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
yes yes skate as fast as you can

then shoot if the goalie has dropped back in net

deke if he's still out cutting down angles

KariyaIsGod*

I believe Rob Hisey made a very nice breakaway move...

Try that one...

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
DrMoses said:
I believe Rob Hisey made a very nice breakaway move...

Try that one...

I thought that was an exhibition shootout? Dunno if he ever tried it in a game though. Props to him if he did. And a neck brace because of the defender that would have leveled him had he tried it ;)

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
It's hard to tell someone what to do, each situation is different.

In general, if YOU make up your mind ahead of time what you are going to do, it's easier. None of that "read the goalie" stuff. Dictate to HIM what is going to happen! For example: if you are confident in a certain move, think to yourself that you are going to do that move no matter what. At the last second, you can always improvise a bit. For example, if you are good at the Yzerman/LaFontaine move, plan to use it. You can change the shot when you are done with the move, if the goalie has blocked your first option. For example, instead of tucking it home, you may have to go high glove-side. Or through the 5-hole, if he somehow cuts off the slide move. But too often you see players go down with NO IDEA in mind, and they fail every time. Make up your mind and do that move/shot.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If you are playing in a high-level league, then don't pick one move. If you are known for deking, then go for the early shot, and aim high. The opposite is true if you are known for shooting. If a goalie is waaay out, then go for the deke. If the goalie is not being aggressive and you're a good stickhandler, try and tuck it in just inside the post. As a goalie, I've made quite a few saves on breakaways by doing a deck save; some shooters panic and get off weak shots when I do this. Ultimately, however, each goalie is different; I like what a previous poster said about you dictating the play and not getting forced by the goalie to make a move.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
if you dont have power on your shot, its too far ahead of you. you have to put it more to the side, i put it there so i can do one of two things. on a clean breakaway (im a righty), i set up coming down to slightly on the left side, with the puck lined up basically with the right post. if i have a shot, i snap flat or high (depending on glove), or if he is on that side i fake the shot and pull it over to the back hand. i find the more i vary from this, the more i screw up. if i get multiple chances, i eventually try to fake the shot, pull it a little on the toe like im going tothe back hand again and slide it five hole. im not quick enough to go back to the forehand.

UserName

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site
when you do shoot, try to see with the ball, not with your eyes. lets say you're a right handed shot coming down the right wing, there is so much room over the left shoulder or the goalie. same applies with breakways

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Qui Gon Dave said:
I thought that was an exhibition shootout? Dunno if he ever tried it in a game though. Props to him if he did.

It was in a team skills competition I believe. Schremp tried it full speed in the CHL Prospects game a few years ago. Missed the net but was that ever impressive!

Back on topic, I'm no great deker myself but I find head fakes work wonders. Especially if you get the goalie moving east/west. Throw your head left and shoot right or vice versa. If you're like me and have a pretty wicked shot but less than magic hands, I'd give this a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->