Player Discussion: Braydon Coburn

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I like that he's been a good partner for Sustr who has been much better since they were paired together

As other said probably won't be resigned unless maybe Stamkos is traded/walks then i could see him coming back and Carle traded this summer as he'll only have 2 years left on his deal

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If stamkos walks as a FA I could see us keeping coburn we really need a rhd. But coburn can play both sides if we resign stamkos I see no way we can keep coburn at all.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
From seeing a lot of Coburn in Philly, the one thing that kept that guy from going up a tier was that he looks decidedly average in the regular season.

However, in every playoff run we had, he was just outstanding, and far more physical than he played in the regular season. He definitely turned it up in late April.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Coburn is good #3 and great #4. Defensively top notch, good speed and skating for a guy his size, takes care of puck, clears crease, his defensive IQ is great, wins on the corners and can play against the other teams physical/big forwards. Exactly what this team needs on the blue line. If he had any kind of offensive game he'd be top pairing defenseman in the league.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He hasn't demonstrated any of the above qualities on a consistent basis this season. One of the bigger disappointments so far imo, although I can't really complain about a Coburn-Sustr bottom pairing.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He hasn't demonstrated any of the above qualities on a consistent basis this season. One of the bigger disappointments so far imo, although I can't really complain about a Coburn-Sustr bottom pairing.

I actually agree. He's been ok, but nothing too special. I'd like to re-sign him if we can get him for no more than a 500k raise. Anything more than that and I'll pass.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It's been a while since this thread - and Coburn for that matter - has been seeing attention. That said, it's odd to see Coburn, who has been a lock on our 2nd or 3rd pairing, a veteran providing solid, straight forward play, and who can be an option on both sides regress kinda fast this season on a stacked and successful team. He's been a healthy scratch for several games and found himself on our 4th pairing during practice today.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Man depth defense man make a killer in this league, one team just uses you until you show regression and by that time you can live off reputation until your late mid-late 30's, you can get worse and still be in high demand.

Coburn's value has gotten significantly lower since we traded for him but if he were a free agent July 1, he'd be signed instantly.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's been a while since this thread - and Coburn for that matter - has been seeing attention. That said, it's odd to see Coburn, who has been a lock on our 2nd or 3rd pairing, a veteran providing solid, straight forward play, and who can be an option on both sides regress kinda fast this season on a stacked and successful team. He's been a healthy scratch for several games and found himself on our 4th pairing during practice today.
I mean - his descent into mediocrity has been Carle-like. It's to the point where I want Sustr out there instead of him.

And it's not only him playing badly - he has to take the most stupid penalties on the team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Carle, Garrison and now Coburn. What's with these veteran LD just falling off a cliff before their contract is up? We had to buyout Carle, send picks to get rid of Garrison and with Coburn being a healthy scratch not sure what it would cost to get rid of him? He's cheap and has just 1 year left so maybe could send him to a team and take back another bad defender but who makes half as much which we could just bury or leave in the pressbox.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Almost as if stop gaps and bandage solutions don't work well...

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Good call to scratch him for a few games as he has not been great. We will see how he responds. Same for a Sustr. They are a scary pair since the break

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Almost as if stop gaps and bandage solutions don't work well...

They were all different scenarios though. Carle came in and did a good job the first year and it just kept going downhill from there. We had Hedman and nothing decent IIRC that off-season and he was the biggest name in FA (once again, IIRC). Garrison did really well for two seasons being acquired in a trade. Other teams have nightmare contracts and players that regress on the tail end of contracts.

The problem wasn't the player we signed, it was the length of their contracts. Carle was two years too long, Garrison arguably two - but we got by with dumping one season and Coburn really went down the tube this season. Fast. He went from serviceable bottom pairing defenseman to poop after that injury early in the year.

The only glaring problem these stop gaps and bandages showed was Carle's contract being too long and Garrisons lack of mobility on a fast team.

Every GM goes after stop gaps and bandages. You can't tell me Jim Rutherford thought Justin Schultz would pan out the way he did. We, myself included, thought the stop gap of Dan Girardi was a laughingstock and he's been probably our 2nd most consistent defenseman all year - maybe 3rd depending on how you think Stralman has done.

Stop gaps and bandages work. Every team uses them. Every cup winning team has them. Ours have just been bad the past few years. We tied up 5M for two extra years, lost the rights to Gusev and rolled the dice with KK and Dotchin not being taken at the Expansion Draft and Coburn with 1 more year at 3.7M.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Carle was signed at 27, Garrison acquired when he was 29, Coburn 29 as well. McDonagh at 28 and turns 29 at the end of the season, is he a stop gap too?
When you are trying to predict who will fall off in their 30s, you have to look at skating. For example, Patrick Marleau was a great skater and now at 38 he is still a very good skater, plus he has no bad injury history. Guys like Hedman and McDonagh should have longer careers than guys like Garrison and Carle because of their skating… barring injuries. Not saying McDonagh will be worth a big long term contract, NYR clearly didn’t think so, but he’d be a better bet than most due to his skating.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The problem with our third pairing is that we usually put two defensive defenseman together. Coburn - Sustr and Coburn - Girardi, etc. Our RHD are not PMDs so you get stuck without anyone being able to carry the puck and break a heavy forecheck. Coburn would perform well with a PMD like Green or Karlsson or Shatty. But we went and got McDonagh...that spells the end of Coburn as he doesn’t have a partner to synergize with.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The problem with our third pairing is that we usually put two defensive defenseman together. Coburn - Sustr and Coburn - Girardi, etc. Our RHD are not PMDs so you get stuck without anyone being able to carry the puck and break a heavy forecheck. Coburn would perform well with a PMD like Green or Karlsson or Shatty. But we went and got McDonagh...that spells the end of Coburn as he doesn’t have a partner to synergize with.
Coburn sucks rocks I'm glad we noticed

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I apologize to Coburn he was just doing his normal thing of not trying in the season. He’s been solid in the playoffs.

Seriously, he’s been a completely different player. But, then again, Cooper confirmed that we literally play a different game in the playoffs - as we should. It is all about low risk plays, north and south with speed and defensive accountability. Chip the puck deep or, when in our zone, high and off the glass or into a low risk areas and protect until support comes.

I love our team’s style in the playoffs, particularly given our speed and skill that translates into goals like Sergachev’s on Saturday. It is always such a disappointment to endure the watered down, lazy version in the regular season. So happy that we are back.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Coburn has been a beast in these playoffs. But think, who does he now have as a regular RD partner? A raw but very talented PMD with offensive skills who can skate. As someone stated earlier, Coburn was always paired with another defensive defenseman for a lot of the regular season. Put him with a PMD and now he's being a great complementary player. Heck, Coburn's even taken a good solid shift or two with Heddy during these games as they're still managing Girardi's minutes.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Coburn has been a beast in these playoffs. But think, who does he now have as a regular RD partner? A raw but very talented PMD with offensive skills who can skate. As someone stated earlier, Coburn was always paired with another defensive defenseman for a lot of the regular season. Put him with a PMD and now he's being a great complementary player. Heck, Coburn's even taken a good solid shift or two with Heddy during these games as they're still managing Girardi's minutes.

I said that a bunch of times during the regular season. Coburn / Girardi, Coburn / Sustr. Teams just lay the heavy forecheck because our third pairing couldn't break the pressure and beat the first man and carry the puck. The tell sign is when a defensive defenseman has a PMD as a partner and still can't hack it.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He "bullied" NJ with his size this series - some of those offensive whiffs and gaffes were pretty bad though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad