Player Discussion: Braydon Coburn

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I thought he had a real strong game.

Still doing that skate at the blue line when the other team is breaking out though. Really would like him to break that habit, but he's a good enough skater that he doesn't seem to get burned.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I think he has done pretty good and he still hasn't gotten his skates/feet completely wet yet here.

Also everyone has their eyes glued on just him when he is on the ice, right now, making anything, even small, in a way of a mistake that he makes will stay with you and is probably magnified some what.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has been solid, but we've only played struggling teams so far. Like to see how he does against some of the big boys.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
what I really like is he doesn't take **** from anyone, and most opponents faces go pale when they realize it's Coburn throwing them up against the boards.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I was at the game last night and noticed a few things:

It's obvious he's still figuring out our team and system. You can see him always looking around to see where people are going to be, looking towards the bench and whatnot. Think it's fair to give him a few games to get comfortable.

Also, dude is big and skates real well. Noticed he has a bit of a mean streak and can get chippy, which is awesome.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Excellent acquisition. Just what the team needed along the blue line. He still has to figure out the system - this is quite obvious. Our system seems to be extremely different than the Flyers system...he looked quite lost from an assignment standpoint. But when he had to go 1v1, board battles, clearing/blocking crease, defending the front of the net, etc. he looked great. From a talent standpoint - he is what I thought he was. A large, great skating defensive defenseman that we can throw out there against the NHLs biggest lines and do really well while still being mobile enough to be deployed against smaller and faster lines. We now have an excellent second pair and a top notch firs pair with Hedman/Stralman.

I expect the return of Carle to settle Cooper a bit. Noticed last night, for example, Cooper got the lead and immediately put Hedman/Sustr and Stralman/Nesterov to babysit the youngens' and just ride out the win. I expect Carle to take on that role on the third pair and just watch our top two pairs to go to work from then out.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
He has paired with Garrison quite well. We finally have two legitimate top lines. Looking forward to see how he is doing come playoff time and he has been in the system a while.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Excellent acquisition. Just what the team needed along the blue line. He still has to figure out the system - this is quite obvious. Our system seems to be extremely different than the Flyers system...he looked quite lost from an assignment standpoint. But when he had to go 1v1, board battles, clearing/blocking crease, defending the front of the net, etc. he looked great. From a talent standpoint - he is what I thought he was. A large, great skating defensive defenseman that we can throw out there against the NHLs biggest lines and do really well while still being mobile enough to be deployed against smaller and faster lines. We now have an excellent second pair and a top notch firs pair with Hedman/Stralman.

I expect the return of Carle to settle Cooper a bit. Noticed last night, for example, Cooper got the lead and immediately put Hedman/Sustr and Stralman/Nesterov to babysit the youngens' and just ride out the win. I expect Carle to take on that role on the third pair and just watch our top two pairs to go to work from then out.
It's going to be funny 5.5 million a year for a 3rd pairing defenseman.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
he served his purpose and its no ones fault that we signed him but we need stevie to be creative before next season and get this guy dumped.

And I'll say it again we are under the cap for this year so we have room and I'm glad we have him for the playoffs. If one of the top 4 goes down he will ease the pain having him in the line up vrs. a youngster.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I came by to see how he was doing. Has been struggling? Trying to get a read on the comments.

Assist on the GWG in OT last night. Has another assist since coming over at TDL. He's been a rock with Garrison. That pairing has made us much more difficult to play against. Stralman being able to take shifts with Hedman allows Hedman to not babysit a defensive partner as much.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's starting to find his groove. Obviously looked a bit tentative in his first couple games but he has not been a liability at all.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I came by to see how he was doing. Has been struggling? Trying to get a read on the comments.

The first few games he was adjusting to the new system. Just not knowing where to go and who to take ... things that are system related so he was caught out of position a few times. With three games on his side and two days off after Dallas I think he finally caught up. Against the Habs yesterday the Garrison/Coburn pair was a wall. Habs couldn't really do anything against it. Couldn't carry it in...couldn't dump and chase and couldn't win any puck retrievals against them it was great to see. We haven't lost since Coburn joined us that is 4 straight wins. During those four wins we have two shotouts and a 1.75 GAA. Coburn is +3 on those four contests with 2 points. This is done by logging about 17 minutes of ice time...while in Phily it was easily 22+ minutes a night.

This is arguably the best top 4 unit we've fielded since we raised the cup - 10+ years.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Assist on the GWG in OT last night. Has another assist since coming over at TDL. He's been a rock with Garrison. That pairing has made us much more difficult to play against. Stralman being able to take shifts with Hedman allows Hedman to not babysit a defensive partner as much.

This says it all. I think he's adjusted to the system, and is allowing the rest of our defense to play where they are supposed to now. Our defense is much improved with him in the lineup, and if he keeps it up, he could get 5 more assists by the playoffs.

I am very happy with the trade and what I've seen of Coburn so far.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I've been pretty happy with Coburn so far. There have been some gaffes but those are to be expected when a player joins a new team in the middle of the season. I love his skating ability and he blocks a lot of shots and passes. Last night I noticed how he was blocking a pass or a shot with his stick in many occasions. I don't really care about his points as I just want to see steady defending from him and that's what I've mostly seen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coburn makes a lot of easy, simple plays that make us better. You really don't see him get beat one-on-one very often. He's going to make mistakes. That's why he's a $4.5m defenseman and not a $6.5m defenseman. I couldn't really be happier with the way he's fit in so far. Seems like the quality of opposition scoring chances has gone down now that guys are more properly slotted.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Coburn makes a lot of easy, simple plays that make us better. You really don't see him get beat one-on-one very often. He's going to make mistakes. That's why he's a $4.5m defenseman and not a $6.5m defenseman. I couldn't really be happier with the way he's fit in so far. Seems like the quality of opposition scoring chances has gone down now that guys are more properly slotted.

True. The only chances Montreal had last night really, were on our horrid, atrocious, awful, kill-it-with-fire power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->