Speculation: Braydon Coburn - habs inquiry

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Last year he didn't look so great but again I think the pressure of trying to take on a more prominant role didn't help. That was not his "chair" as Lappy would say. I've been good with what I have seen of him thus far this year. What this D corps needs is Timonen to get back to what he was but I fear that may be a tall order...

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Last year the organization wanted Coburn to take the next step and be that number 1 guy. He didn't do it and we now need to accept what he is which is a very good complementary D man who eats minutes and is generally healthy like Carle was.

You're being a comedian here, right? Because Coburn is not a good complementary defenseman. He's a mediocre defenseman who is doing his usual routine of stinking up the joint early, getting progressively better, take a turn for the worse and then it tear it up down the stretch. He's done this EVERY year since being in Philadelphia. With that being said, I'm glad to see more and more people are getting fed up with him and want to see him sent packing. Coburn offers nothing more than what Grossmann and Schenn already bring to the table. Coburn's third period collapse against the Ducks should re-affirm that.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You're being a comedian here, right? Because Coburn is not a good complementary defenseman. He's a mediocre defenseman who is doing his usual routine of stinking up the joint early, getting progressively better, take a turn for the worse and then it tear it up down the stretch. He's done this EVERY year since being in Philadelphia. With that being said, I'm glad to see more and more people are getting fed up with him and want to see him sent packing. Coburn offers nothing more than what Grossmann and Schenn already bring to the table. Coburn's third period collapse against the Ducks should re-affirm that.

Nope. I know you are not his biggest fan and are one of the people on here that typically give him lots o crap. I just think the criticism is a bit much.

I'm curious though..nobody seems to suggest how the Flyers would fill his minutes? I'm not necessarily against moving him but it has to make sense. I'm just seeing a lot of hate and comments like he is stupid etc....

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nope. I know you are not his biggest fan and are one of the people on here that typically give him lots o crap. I just think the criticism is a bit much.

I'm curious though..nobody seems to suggest how the Flyers would fill his minutes? I'm not necessarily against moving him but it has to make sense. I'm just seeing a lot of hate and comments like he is stupid etc....

It is true, the only way his minutes get eaten (and there is the possibility we don't suffer) if he is traded (with no instant D return) is if Schenn is given the minutes he was last year and plays like he did (22ish) and Gus and Grossmann get an extra one or two compared to last year/stay as they have so far this year.

Kimmo-Schenn (Kimmo 21mins, Schenn 22)
Grossmann-Gus (Grossmann 19, Gus 19)
Streit-Mez (Streit 21mins, Mez 18)

I could put up with that if Kimmo was playing like last year and Gus keeps up his good play. 'On paper' those players can play those minutes... but Kimmo is the big concern for me in that regard based off this year so far, this would put a lot on him.

But Mez every night (unless he can get back a semblance of his former self) and a current Kimmo is scary. Plus the PK defence loses a big part of it.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
It is true, the only way his minutes get eaten (and there is the possibility we don't suffer) if he is traded (with no instant D return) is if Schenn is given the minutes he was last year and plays like he did (22ish) and Gus and Grossmann get an extra one or two compared to last year/stay as they have so far this year.

I could put up with that if Kimmo was playing like last year and Gus keeps up his good play. 'On paper' those players can play those minutes... but Kimmo is the big concern for me in that regard based off this year so far, this would put a lot on him.

But Mez every night (unless he can get back a semblance of his former self) and a current Kimmo is scary. Plus the PK defence loses a big part of it.

Yeah having a combined 39min of liability on the ice in Kimo and Mez will improve this team.
Coburn is not the problem.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com

I'm with you 100%. Coburn gets crapped on and sometimes it's warranted but he's not nearly as bad as made out to be. Timonen should not be anywhere near 20 minutes like some of you are saying and Mez shouldn't see the light of day on the flyers blue line again. Really, who does everyone think is going to step up and play the minutes Coburn does? Who deserves it based on their play? Right now Coburn is probably the best all around d man on this team(which isn't saying a lot). The flyers defenseive problems go further than Braydon Coburn. If he's traded for a prospect like Nathan Beaulieu who cannot earn a full time spot with the Habs, it would be closer to the deadline if the flyers are out of the playoffs and are sure he doesn't fit in the teams future anymore.

Most of you complained about him against the ducks the other night when he played a great game minus one blunder. This is from Bill meltzer on Coburn from the ducks game-

* Lost in the face of the team's utter collapse over the final 25 minutes was an outstanding individual game for Braydon Coburn. This was the "good Cobie" tonight. He used his speed, making quick and effective decisions, playing a little bit physical and even leading a rush or two in his blueline-high 22:41 of ice time over 27 shifts.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com

Those times look scary. Timonen, Schenn, streit and Mez are all out way to much there. That would be total chaos

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
And who will be playing 20+ minutes per night? Oh right..we can do it by a committee of 3 cusp NHL D men which will increase the boneheadedness 3 fold....

This is what I want to know? People didn't like Carle and wanted him off the team and considered it addition by subtraction. The same is being leveled at Coburn b/c he can't be Pronger apparently.

If he is traded...Flyers better get a D man that can eat minutes. Coburn has his faults like Carle but let's not act like he is Jeff Cychrun out there...:shakehead

It's not like the Flyers collapsed at the end of the season when 20+ minutes of Coburn was not on the team. In fact, the reverse happened. We could not lose at the end of the season with Coburn not playing. Coburn sucks - deal with it. The fact that he pays 20+ minutes has alot to do with his contract and the fact that he is overrated. He has played terribly this season and for large portions of his career.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Those times look scary. Timonen, Schenn, streit and Mez are all out way to much there. That would be total chaos

Yep. Really scary. Though mainly due to Kimmos regression and Mez.

As tbh Schenn played that much for 3 of his 5 years in the NHL, playing well in that time. (his two down years were rough though) Last year played 22 mins and was arguably our best D man.

And Streit would play 20mins on a lot of NHL teams, heck, he already is for the Flyers. He has played over 23 mins the last two years, 25+ the two years before that.

Mez should not be out there though.

And if Kimmo does not revert to last year those mins would be scary... but he played 21+last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->