Speculation: Braydon Coburn - habs inquiry

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the cost would be to acquire Braydon Coburn. Quite simply I would like to know your honest opinion on what you think the Flyers would get back in a deal involving Coburn.

thanks

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Meh. The Flyers have a ton of defensive prospects now. I think they really lack some top end wing prospects. I would ask for Collberg before Beaulieu.

Tim Bozon and Arturri Lehkonen are probably our most dangerous prospects on the wings in terms of performance. You could even say Charles Hudon has surpassed Collberg. Although Collberg is playing with men, I suppose the only real comparable is Lehkonen.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139964

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=147613

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145126

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=129714

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
speculation at the draft was 1st (nurse) +. the organization is pretty high on cobie

Two very key words. Nothing was ever confirmed by anyone, and player's values are different at different times. I'm not sure what Coburn could fetch if we traded him right now, but I think it would not be as much as the top ten pick + that was being rumored at the draft.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
don't really care. just want coburn off the team at this point

And who will be playing 20+ minutes per night? Oh right..we can do it by a committee of 3 cusp NHL D men which will increase the boneheadedness 3 fold....

This is what I want to know? People didn't like Carle and wanted him off the team and considered it addition by subtraction. The same is being leveled at Coburn b/c he can't be Pronger apparently.

If he is traded...Flyers better get a D man that can eat minutes. Coburn has his faults like Carle but let's not act like he is Jeff Cychrun out there...:shakehead

RJ8812*

And who will be playing 20+ minutes per night? Oh right..we can do it by a committee of 3 cusp NHL D men which will increase the boneheadedness 3 fold....

This is what I want to know? People didn't like Carle and wanted him off the team and considered it addition by subtraction. The same is being leveled at Coburn b/c he can't be Pronger apparently.

If he is traded...Flyers better get a D man that can eat minutes. Coburn has his faults like Carle but let's not act like he is Jeff Cychrun out there...:shakehead

you're taking my comment way too literally

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Yeah that didn't happen. That was people getting over zealous on a report by Dreger saying the Flyers wanted more than MPS+.

hes not a franchise guy or even a #1 but he gets knocked around on here quite a bit. the potential of a high pick like that is higher than coburn. but cobie was a high pick himself and expectations and potential arent results. hes a very good complimentary stay at home d. those guys help your team in a lot of ways and i dont think the flyers would give him up unless it improves the team in a significant way

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
hes not a franchise guy or even a #1 but he gets knocked around on here quite a bit. the potential of a high pick like that is higher than coburn. but cobie was a high pick himself and expectations and potential arent results. hes a very good complimentary stay at home d. those guys help your team in a lot of ways and i dont think the flyers would give him up unless it improves the team in a significant way

This is what annoys me about this organization and some of the fan base. It does a horrible job of overrating and underrating their own players. They want complementary players like Carle and Coburn to be Suter and Weber. They want Richards and Carter to be Crosby and Malkin and so on. They have to learn to surround these very good players with more prominant ones.

This is the same with JVR and now L Schenn....JVR was not going to be Kane and L Schenn is not going to be a number 1 D man. I'm not even going to get into B Schenn and Couturier....apparently they should also be Crosby and Malkin.

At some point which seems to be getting closer ..we'll be so sucky that maybe we'll be able to actually get a star in the draft at least. We got screwed with Kane of course and sort of lucky with G. If we do it through a trade and Holmgren is still around I fear what will be given up....like complementary players that act like glue on a team.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

That doesn't mean he's worth it. The only first rounder Coburn is returning for you is in the second half of the first round.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
This is what annoys me about this organization and some of the fan base. It does a horrible job of overrating and underrating their own players. They want complementary players like Carle and Coburn to be Suter and Weber. They want Richards and Carter to be Crosby and Malkin and so on. They have to learn to surround these very good players with more prominant ones.

This is the same with JVR and now L Schenn....JVR was not going to be Kane and L Schenn is not going to be a number 1 D man. I'm not even going to get into B Schenn and Couturier....apparently they should also be Crosby and Malkin.

At some point which seems to be getting closer ..we'll be so sucky that maybe we'll be able to actually get a star in the draft at least. We got screwed with Kane of course and sort of lucky with G. If we do it through a trade and Holmgren is still around I fear what will be given up....like complementary players that act like glue on a team.

I disagree. No one expects Coburn to be a #1 dman. But, we expect him to play to a decent enough level. I didn't see all of the ANA game, but from what I did see, Coburn was playing a lot better. However, he's been way underperforming throughout last year and the start of this year. This is a guy who we know has all the tools needed, but doesn't engage his brain. He's a very frustrating player.

I would argue that the fanbase, certainly on HF, has been supportive of Couturier. We bemoaned Lavy for his treatment of him, and IMO most people have been happy with the improvement since Berube stepped up his role in the team.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I disagree. No one expects Coburn to be a #1 dman. But, we expect him to play to a decent enough level. I didn't see all of the ANA game, but from what I did see, Coburn was playing a lot better. However, he's been way underperforming throughout last year and the start of this year. This is a guy who we know has all the tools needed, but doesn't engage his brain. He's a very frustrating player.

I would argue that the fanbase, certainly on HF, has been supportive of Couturier. We bemoaned Lavy for his treatment of him, and IMO most people have been happy with the improvement since Berube stepped up his role in the team.

Last year the organization wanted Coburn to take the next step and be that number 1 guy. He didn't do it and we now need to accept what he is which is a very good complementary D man who eats minutes and is generally healthy like Carle was. People need to get used to this. Yeah Coburn's hockey IQ isn't off the charts but people I think fad hate the guy like Carle before him way too much.

If the Flyers are to trade him they better get something good that will help the team. Not just let him walk without a better option or worse for nothing like Carle which contrary to the haters did not help the team....

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
yup. I agree.
really dont understand the massive mancrush people have with him. They are still holding out hope he can turn it around. How old is he now? he is what he is. a inconsistent middle pairing defender.

Again..who would you like him replaced with..it's not enough to just get draft picks b/c some believe addition by subtraction is enough. Has nothing to do with mancrushes and more to do with pragmatism. Supposedly, teams were offering up draft picks only for Coburn in the offseason and the Flyers didn't bite b/c they need bodies especially ones that can play and eat up minutes and still do so fairly well. With Timonen looking like father time and players like Gus still looking inconsistent..not to mention D men on the Phantoms still cusp NHL players like the Dane and Alt....the Flyers need something solid back on D one way or another.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
don't really care. just want coburn off the team at this point

Coburn has looked a lot better the last 4 or 5 games, he's being especially aggressive carrying the puck up the ice which is nice considering the alternative is him or Grossmann trying to connect a pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad