Brayden Schenn

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
With Moller gone now, Schenn has to make the Kings line-up next year right, what do you guys think? I think he is definatly ready and will be playing in LA for the 2011-2012 NHL season.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Not a sure thing by any stretch. But he is the heavy favorite to be the #3 to start the year, and eventually step into Stoll's spot at #2. But Loktionov is lurking if he can get healthy for camp.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not a sure thing by any stretch. But he is the heavy favorite to be the #3 to start the year, and eventually step into Stoll's spot at #2. But Loktionov is lurking if he can get healthy for camp.

Exactly, a lot of people forget about Lokti because Schenn's the bigger name. Fact is Lokti has been called up the last two seasons and unfortunately gotten season ending injuries. He was arguably the kings best players for a stretch after his call up. Either way I'm hoping they both stick with the kings next season.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'd personally expect both Loktionov and Schenn to make the Kings next year. One of them would have to play on the wing (since the Kings already have Kopitar and Stoll taking up 2 of the top 3 C roles), but that's not a big deal, a tonne of NHL Cs have to play on the wing for a bit at the start of their careers, on a lot of teams it's hard to crack into a top 3 C role as a rookie.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Why didn't Schenn play in the AHL this year? Would that have burnt up a year of his ELC?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Why didn't Schenn play in the AHL this year? Would that have burnt up a year of his ELC?
If you played in the CHL you have to be 20 years old (or have 4 CHL seasons under your belt) to play in the AHL, but you can make the jump to the NHL any time post-draft. The idea is to keep talent in the CHL, but still let the truly exceptional players go to the NHL. IMO it screws over a lot of highly-talented-but-not-phenom players though, maybe 1 forced post-draft year in the CHL makes sense, but 2 is a lot. So many of these guys are just clearly too good for the CHL, but not quite good enough for the NHL, I don't think guys like Schenn are developing the skills they'll need down the road dominating 16/17/18 year olds and less talented 19/20 year olds in the CHL, they IMO should have the option to develop in the AHL where they'd be truly challenged against grown men.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sorry for my ignorance, butttt... what happened to Moller again?

He signed a contract with a team in the SEL. The Kings still hold his rights and he has an out clause to rejoin the NHL if he and the Kings so choose. This is a good move for Oscar; He will hopefully develop and mature physically in the SEL.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
If you played in the CHL you have to be 20 years old (or have 4 CHL seasons under your belt) to play in the AHL, but you can make the jump to the NHL any time post-draft. The idea is to keep talent in the CHL, but still let the truly exceptional players go to the NHL. IMO it screws over a lot of highly-talented-but-not-phenom players though, maybe 1 forced post-draft year in the CHL makes sense, but 2 is a lot. So many of these guys are just clearly too good for the CHL, but not quite good enough for the NHL, I don't think guys like Schenn are developing the skills they'll need down the road dominating 16/17/18 year olds and less talented 19/20 year olds in the CHL, they IMO should have the option to develop in the AHL where they'd be truly challenged against grown men.

I know this is OT, but has any NHL team ever tried to get around this by sending a kid drafted out of the CHL to play in the SEL, SM-Liiga, etc?

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I know this is OT, but has any NHL team ever tried to get around this by sending a kid drafted out of the CHL to play in the SEL, SM-Liiga, etc?

I believe its where your drafted out of. So the rule would of applied to Schenn even if they sent him to SEL this year. And on a side note, why would a player accept that kind of treatment. It is a dream to play major junior for most Canadian kids and to go play in another country just so they are AHL eligible isn't that enticing IMO.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Agree that Lokti and Schenn both make the team. I think Lokti will end up playing wing because he has done it before, although I still think he's better at C. The way I see it, Lokti will float around a top 6 role while Schenn will center the 3rd or 4th line. It will really all depend on what happens to Handzus. If DL lets him walk, which I think most Kings fans want to give the young guys a chance, then both for sure make the team but if not, I think Schenn makes the team to avoid him wasting a year in junior and Loktionov starting in the AHL and being the first call up.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I see Lokti on the wing in the top 6 and Schenn centering line 3 to start things off.
side note: Too bad for Moller. I feel like he's ready for the NHL but just can't crack LA's lineup at center. I don't know how highly King's fans regard him but I could see him being traded in a package this offseason/deadline.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I believe its where your drafted out of. So the rule would of applied to Schenn even if they sent him to SEL this year. And on a side note, why would a player accept that kind of treatment. It is a dream to play major junior for most Canadian kids and to go play in another country just so they are AHL eligible isn't that enticing IMO.

I should have been more specific. I was thinking along the lines Edmonton sending Eberle to play for Djurgarden in the SEL for 2009-10 and bypassing the AHL entirely. After all, the best Swedish players jump directly from the SEL to the NHL.

As for why a team would do this, the reasons would be pretty much those described by ponder above. If a drafted prospect’s NHL team came to them and said “We think you would benefit more from a year in Sweden than from a year of thrashing teenagers,†don’t you think that most prospects would take that advice seriously?

Besides, some North American players might enjoy the opportunity to spend a season in another country and immerse themselves in another culture. Ages 18-19 would be a good time to do it too, considering that the player wouldn’t have any family obligations to consider.

Note: I understand that the Eberle example is a bad one in light of the fact that Eberle’s transition to the NHL went as smoothly as anyone could have hoped. And I’m sure you’re probably right about the rule applying to any non-NHL league as long as the player is drafted out of the CHL.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kopitar
Williams
Brown
Penner
Stoll
Smyth

There's no room at the inn for Loktionov in a Top-6 role. He was filling the spot that was filled by Penner but, with the Penner acquisition, the Kings Top-6 is pretty much set for next season barring a trade and/or Schenn forcing his way into Stoll's position.

Moller's absence has no real impact on Schenn making the team next year.

The 3rd line C position is Schenn's for the taking with the expected departure of Handzus; however, Trevor Lewis got better and better as last season wore on so he'll have something to say about that.

Best case scenario is that Schenn pushes Stoll out of the #2C as that means LA will be pretty stacked down the middle. I don't think it happens but I am looking for Schenn to settle in on a line with Clifford and Simmonds on his wings so the kid can play alongside both skill and toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->