Eklund Rumor: Brayden Schenn for Kevin Shattenkirk

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
ya I hear what you are saying... I guess I just wish the 3 guys were a bit younger... Giroux is pushing 30, Voracek is almost 27 and Simmonds is 28 soon... id just like to see some major progress be made in the next couple years and hopefully win a cup before these guys are 30-33 years old at a combined 20 mill cap hit.

Just with their team as is right now, I still just see a pretty good team that will make playoffs but probably not get past the 1st round... hopefully im wrong tho!!

Things can change quickly in the NHL. In another year from now, Philly will be adding Sanheim, Morin, Provy, Lindblom, Konecny and maybe more to the roster.

Lots of Flyers fans have said that 2017/18 is when the flyers really turn the page from sellers/standing still, to being more aggressive in trying to win.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
ya I hear what you are saying... I guess I just wish the 3 guys were a bit younger... Giroux is pushing 30, Voracek is almost 27 and Simmonds is 28 soon... id just like to see some major progress be made in the next couple years and hopefully win a cup before these guys are 30-33 years old at a combined 20 mill cap hit.

Just with their team as is right now, I still just see a pretty good team that will make playoffs but probably not get past the 1st round... hopefully im wrong tho!!

I wouldnt be surprised, if one of them is traded in the next couple of years.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I hope that the albatross a.k.a Jake Voracek's contract doesn't come back to haunt us 3 or 4 years from now.

It may!!.. tjats why it's huge to do something in next couple years imo, before that potentially happens and before the team either signs Simmonds to a raise and those 3 take up more cap space or else trade him before UFA

The team always seems like it's on the verge, but just never gets over that hump

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The only way to make it work, and I'm not remotely suggesting that this is the right deal for the two sides, just looking at cap and position only, would be to make this an even larger deal.

Shattenkirk, Lehtera, & Jaskin

-for-

Schenn, Streit, & Laughton (or Cousins)

Presuming Steen and Stastny are your 1/2 (and I'd be floored if that changed), and you want Schenn to stay on the wing, where I imagine he'd be your 2RW, you would be able to either move Brodziak up to line 3 and play Laughton/Cousins on line 4, or if you want Brodziak to remain in his current role (at least, I think he's your 4C, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken), you'd have the option of trying Laughton/Cousins in a 3rd line role. Streit, as mentioned, would serve in Shattenkirk's role, on a limited basis, and Schenn would be a huge boost to your top 6.

Just thinking this through from the Blues perspective, we'd probably try:

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Fabbri
Berglund - Sobotka - Perron
Laughton - Brodziak - Upshall

Then we could interchange Steen, Fabbri and Schenn to see which works best, so maybe end up with something like

Schwartz - Steen(or Fabbri) - Tarasenko
Fabbri (or Steen) - Stastny - Schenn

I doubt the Blues would pull the trigger on it without at least considering Schenn on a line with Tarasenko. Finding Tarasenko a center is the Blues #1 need.

I don't know. I don't love it. I guess whether its a win comes down to whether you view Lehtera/Streit as having value vs being negative-value cap dumps. As problematic as Lehtera is for our line-ups, I don't view him as a negative value asset. Jaskin for Laughton is probably pretty even. I would miss Jaskin's size though. I think he can be a solid power-forward if he works on his skating a bit and gets his confidence going. He was snake-bitten hard last year and it effected him.

That is just the Blues side analysis. I'm not saying its not fair value or Philly should do it. Just saying, I'm not loving it from the Blues POV. Getting Schenn is great and getting anything for Shatty would ease my mind a bit at this point. But the added pieces give me pause.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hope that the albatross a.k.a Jake Voracek's contract doesn't come back to haunt us 3 or 4 years from now.

Chicago won in 2010 with Huet on the cap for 10% and he didn't even play. Hw about we wait and see what 27-30 year old Voracek will do.

So many people don't know that in between Voracek's awful start and playing with an injury, had had 45 points in 50 games. That's a 74 point pace.

And he has already lost 11 lbs since the end of the season. Expect a big bounce back.

As for the OP, no. We have D help that is close to helping. But at F they are further away. We need to add a top 6 player, not remove one.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Us, lol.

I think the Flyers will be just fine with one of the league's best possession players and a top 20 scorer locked up thru his early 30s.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'd just like to see philly get some righties on defense!!!.. I realize some of the left handed guys can play either side but the left handed depth is insane and the right handed depth is lacking huge...

For righties it's pretty much...

Gudas

And then pretty much next tier down prospects and farther from NHL ready type prospects

You can pretty much look at phillys roster from last year and every dman that played a game on the team and all the top prospects in AHL/junior are left handed haha.. very weird to see!

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site

Giroux is exactly 28 1/2. He is not that old.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd just like to see philly get some righties on defense!!!.. I realize some of the left handed guys can play either side but the left handed depth is insane and the right handed depth is lacking huge...

Gudas

And then pretty much next tier down prospects and farther from NHL ready type prospects

You can pretty much look at phillys roster from last year and every dman that played a game on the team and all the top prospects in AHL/junior are left handed haha.. very weird to see!

I am not as worried since Ghost proved he can play the right side at an elite level. Having him always set up fir 1-timers is not he worst thing...lol. And Sanheim played it in Jr. Myers and Friedman are 2-3 years away though but in reality, once the top 1 makes it, then Gudas might be moved.

The D pipeline is quite nice. And after adding lots of forwards this year, Philly will be adding to the D depth in next years draft.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Gudas

If there is anything at all to this rumor it is for exactly these reasons. While it is sometimes desirable for forwards to play on their off side, it rarely is for defensemen. Ghost may be fine playing on the right, but I'm sure the team would prefer him on the left and with how left handed their prospect pool is on D, it would be wise to move a LD prospect for a RD sure thing.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Giroux is 28 and keeps him self in great shape along with Simmer. Jake just has to stay away from the big macs.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to cancel a hockeybuzz subscription. I'm sorry didn't know where else to post, just tired of eklunds crap/speculation. Site is obviously made to make it impossible to unsubscribe. Guy is a total joke. Thanks

Jwagner4144

Jun 15, 2015
I love shattenkirk but the flyers need schenn more now that we have defensive prospects who could be better than shattenkirk. Our top 6 would be extremely weak without schenn

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If there is anything at all to this rumor it is for exactly these reasons. While it is sometimes desirable for forwards to play on their off side, it rarely is for defensemen. Ghost may be fine playing on the right, but I'm sure the team would prefer him on the left and with how left handed their prospect pool is on D, it would be wise to move a LD prospect for a RD sure thing.

The part you are ignoring is that Philly DOES NOT have any replacement for Schenn at forward AND does not want to pay a big contract to a Dman.

And before anyone talks about Konecny, Lindblom, etc... I am talking about now, not in a few years.

Philly needs to add a top 6 player to the current 5 they have, not trade one away.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Gudas

Gudas is there. Ghost and Streit are LHD playing R-side now. Alt or Willcox can be called up from the AHL. Myers and Friedman are on the way. It's not a problem. We can't let RHD become an obsession that causes the giveaway of a franchise player just to get one (a la Hall).

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to cancel a hockeybuzz subscription. I'm sorry didn't know where else to post, just tired of eklunds crap/speculation. Site is obviously made to make it impossible to unsubscribe. Guy is a total joke. Thanks

Go into PayPal to your pre approved payments and unsubscribe there.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
How about

Schenn
2017 1st rounder

for

Shattenkirk (with extension)

Philly's young defence are still a few years away from being ready and being consistent contributes so Philly should bring in a proven, top pairing guy like Shattenkirk. Schenn is a nice luxury but Flyers already have Giroux, Coutorier, Simmonds, Voracheck, etc.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
How about

Schenn
2017 1st rounder

for

Philly's young defence are still a few years away from being ready and being consistent contributes so Philly should bring in a proven, top pairing guy like Shattenkirk. Schenn is a nice luxury but Flyers already have Giroux, Coutorier, Simmonds, Voracheck, etc.

How about NO! :shakehead

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How about

Schenn
2017 1st rounder

for

Again...no.

After those 4 guys you listed, our depth at forward drops to Raffl, Laughton, Cousins, Weise who are 3rd liners. We would be 2 top 6 players short.

And again, we don't need an offensive RHD that will be expensive. I would much rather add a cheaper defensive RH guy IF we were to add anyone.

I'm not sure how many Flyers fans have to say no to this type of deal.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
How about

Schenn
2017 1st rounder

for

Nope

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
How about

Schenn
2017 1st rounder

for

How is he a luxury with our top 6 forward depth?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not Very Intriguing defenseman deal

To PHI:
shatty(agrees to an extension in philly)
Rattie?/Maceacheren?

To STL:
Schenn
Sanheim

I'm definitely biased towards the blues here lol. But regardless i keep seeing the most likely false eklund rumor about a trade around shatty and schenn. I also know the blues are weak on the left side defensively outside of vince dunn (yes i know about wallman etc. but him and the others atleast to me have a ways to go before, to me Dunn is the only one i think will for sure have an NHL career) So i figured a guy like Sanheim who's getting very close to cracking an NHL lineup on the left side would interest the blues since bouw will either be bought out (eventually) or gone after his contract is up and gunnar/edmundson should not play above 2nd or 3rd pair and are more complimentary kinda guys if on the 2nd pair. Also figure Rattie FINALLY showed something at the nhl level last year and looks to really be hitting his stride at the pro level, not sure how he'd be valued now in comparison to a few years ago but it looks like he's turning the corner. I personally wouldn't mind holding onto rattie because i think he'll be one of the first injury call ups and maybe by next year if he keeps improving find himself into the opening night lineup(especially due to steens contract being up etc.)

Whatcha guys think? Where is sanheims value at? higher/lower than what i think? Also figured philly has ghost, provorov and morin as the future on the left side that maybe sanheim COULD be available in the right deal? And i personally am not a morin fan so that's why i chose sanheim over him lol.

I hope this proposal is less intriguing than a prospect and pick for a prospect goalie :laugh:

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
To PHI:
shatty(agrees to an extension in philly)
Rattie?/Maceacheren?

To STL:
Schenn
Sanheim

I'm definitely biased towards the blues here lol. But regardless i keep seeing the most likely false eklund rumor about a trade around shatty and schenn. I also know the blues are weak on the left side defensively outside of vince dunn (yes i know about wallman etc. but him and the others atleast to me have a ways to go before, to me Dunn is the only one i think will for sure have an NHL career) So i figured a guy like Sanheim who's getting very close to cracking an NHL lineup on the left side would interest the blues since bouw will either be bought out (eventually) or gone after his contract is up and gunnar/edmundson should not play above 2nd or 3rd pair and are more complimentary kinda guys if on the 2nd pair. Also figure Rattie FINALLY showed something at the nhl level last year and looks to really be hitting his stride at the pro level, not sure how he'd be valued now in comparison to a few years ago but it looks like he's turning the corner. I personally wouldn't mind holding onto rattie because i think he'll be one of the first injury call ups and maybe by next year if he keeps improving find himself into the opening night lineup(especially due to steens contract being up etc.)

Whatcha guys think? Where is sanheims value at? higher/lower than what i think? Also figured philly has ghost, provorov and morin as the future on the left side that maybe sanheim COULD be available in the right deal? And i personally am not a morin fan so that's why i chose sanheim over him lol.

I hope this proposal is less intriguing than a prospect and pick for a prospect goalie :laugh:

Since you likely cannot get Shattenkirk to agree to an extension before (or at least St. Louis isn't gonna waste their time selling their asset on another city) the only thing you can get from Philadelphia is a conditional pick.

Shattenkirk
Rattie

For

Schenn
Conditional 2018 2nd

St. Louis gets a fair return for Shattenkirk and while they lose Rattie they do get a replacement piece 99% of the time as Philadelphia WILL re-sign Shattenkirk if they have the choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad