Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know the lightning are going to want to bridge point like they did with kucherov and i'm unsure how point will feel about that ?

The Kucherov situation was different, and a one-off, because we were literally out of money. We gave him everything we had left, not what he was worth. Even a bridge for Point comes in pretty high. He could easily be considered our 1C by season's end, if not earlier. And I don't think anybody would be uncomfortable locking a kid like this up long term.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The Kucherov situation was different, and a one-off, because we were literally out of money. We gave him everything we had left, not what he was worth. Even a bridge for Point comes in pretty high. He could easily be considered our 1C by season's end, if not earlier. And I don't think anybody would be uncomfortable locking a kid like this up long term.
Can we afford to pay Point, Vasy and SERG 8 years deals right away ? when they all need new deals ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can we afford to pay Point, Vasy and SERG 8 years deals right away ? when they all need new deals ?

Serge looks like a much better candidate for a bridge. Vasy we'll need to do long-term, but I don't think we need to pay him Price money or anything.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stamkos and Hedman got 5 year deals on there second contracts

What's the definition of a bridge deal? The term is a little ambiguous, I took it to mean short term deal to eat up the RFA years which is what those 5 year deals did.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All of our core got bridge deals, I would also bridge Point

The relevant one is Kucherov though, and it's tough to say if we'd have bridged him if we'd had more money available.

I'm not sure there'd be a huge dollar difference with Point either way. I also think he's the guy we're building around as of this moment, so it makes a lot of sense to lock him up. Like, even with Kuch, we weren't necessarily building around him. But with Point, it seems pretty obvious that this is our future down the middle, and our most trusted forward by about a mile and a half, at age 22. He's just so far above everybody else in his age group in the organization.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What's the definition of a bridge deal? The term is a little ambiguous, I took it to mean short term deal to eat up the RFA years which is what those 5 year deals did.

5 doesn't feel like a bridge to me. I think a bridge is 3 or less. Those are the terms being talked about with Nylander anyway.

I think 5 x 6m is pretty likely for Point. Keeps him relatively young when his UFA contract comes up, which I'm sure he'll want, but locks him down for a nice long stretch.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
well kucherov, Johnson, Palat and Vasy did 3 year deals I consider those bridge deals a 5 year deal I consider long term

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
5 doesn't feel like a bridge to me. I think a bridge is 3 or less. Those are the terms being talked about with Nylander anyway.

I think 5 x 6m is pretty likely for Point. Keeps him relatively young when his UFA contract comes up, which I'm sure he'll want, but locks him down for a nice long stretch.
I would do a 5 year deal for point as well because Johnson, Killorn and stamkos will be off the books by then when he needs a new deal after that. if you do a 3 year deal for point you run into having johnson, stamkos and killorn still on the books when it expires

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How many points do we predict Brayden Point to get by the end of the season?

I think he'll flirt with a point per game. Probably finish with 75. I think Kucherov will wind up with more, because of the sneeze factor, but Point will be close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad