Brayden Point versus Robert Thomas

Is there any significant difference you see in these two players, or are they roughly equal?

• I see a significant difference between the two

Votes: 107 84.3%
  • I see two basically equal #1 centers

Votes: 20 15.7%

• Total voters

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
A dispute arose regarding the comparability of these two players, ultimately whether they could each be considered a #1C on a contender.

Point is 3 years and 111 days older than Thomas, so keep in mind that Thomas is going to have less on his resume.

Obviously you can't compare just their regular seasons; seasons include playoffs as well.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The person whose way the vote is not going predicted in advance this would happen. The allegation was "all Point has going for him is his playoff production. He's not elite when looking at his regular season numbers and until Thomas gets another crack at playoffs they can't be compared in the post-season."

Does anyone have any objective analysis about this? I won't say how you were slurred and disparaged in advance for your inability to do so, but doubt was cast ...

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think Point is obviously better, but I don't know by how much. He has played on a better assembled and coached team, so is his success because of the people around him? I'd be interested in Point's production when guys like Stamkos and Kucherov are hurt since they likely help drive his production or allow him to be himself. Thomas has had O'Reilly to play in front of him, but last year was his breakout season and it seems he's continued on that despite O'Reilly getting hurt. Point is far and ahead the better playoff performer as it stands and is a elite goal scorer in the league; Thomas is an elite passer. I think they should be compared to each other since they are more similar players than not, but I think it's obvious that Point is the better player now.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Brayden Point is still somehow the least appreciated C in hockey. Bergeron lite but this time with speed.

I like Thomas fine but Point is significantly better.

Yup.

Thomas would have to repeat this breakout season like 3 more times before I put him at the tier Point is on now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Point is on a pretty clearly different level. He's just a noticeably more completely all around player with a higher skill level. Thomas is also a really darn good hockey player...but he's just not on that level.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Thomas is better, but Point is surrounded by a much better supporting cast which makes him "appear" better to the common hockey fan.
What our fella said was that only people who are "fanboys" who are "butt-hurt" would say Point is better.

You also state those who disagree are "the common fan" which is also making your case with a simple attack on the people who disagree and no actual case.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
1 year later but I think these two are closer than this poll suggests
One year later, and Point is still the better offensive and defensive Center. And he came into this league with fewer expectations.

I like RT. I think he’s a very overlooked player. Especially his playmaking ability and vision. But he’s still a notch behind Point…

imo anyway…

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
One year later, and Point is still the better offensive and defensive Center. And he came into this league with fewer expectations.

I like RT. I think he’s a very overlooked player. Especially his playmaking ability and vision. But he’s still a notch behind Point…

imo anyway…
Point has taken a bit of a step back from last season, while Thomas has taken a massive step up this year. Thomas has out produced Point with a lesser supporting cast(Thomas is 20pts above the closest teammate, Point is 40pts below Kuch). He's also been deployed as a matchup center and winning those matchups consistently.

I'd say the Point from last year is a better player than this year's Thomas, but this year's version of Point is not.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

imo anyway…
You are severely underrating Robert Thomas and overrating Point. Look up their line mates, individual scoring numbers vs team, and overall team scoring.

Thomas is outscoring his next closest teammate by 20 points and is a +13 on a low scoring team (Blues have only scored 170 goals so far) with a -14 goal differential. Thomas is winning 52% of his faceoffs and has an ozone start rate of 53%.

Point is stapled to Kucherov (who has 40 more points than Brayden lol), has an 5v5 ozone start rate over 70%, and is about 45% on the dot this year. He’s also a -16 on a much higher scoring team (210) with an even goal differential.

Robert Thomas has been a top 10 1C in the NHL this year and has easily had a better season than Point.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Point has always been a tad overrated but he’s a proven playoff performer. RT is better now and moving forward.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Uh… wut?

I like Rob Thomas as a player, but this is apples to oranges for me.

It would be like people comparing Toews and Backes back in the 2010s. If you squint, sure, you could craft a sentence that vaguely describes both but when you drill down…not close.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Uh… wut?

I like Rob Thomas as a player, but this is apples to oranges for me.

It would be like people comparing Toews and Backes back in the 2010s. If you squint, sure, you could craft a sentence that vaguely describes both but when you drill down…not close.
You’re right, Thomas is a better than Point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad