Proposal: Brayden Point to Rangers for the 2nd Overall Pick

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
As a Rangers fan, I have waited my entire life for the opportunity to draft a player like KK. I am generally pretty pragmatic when it comes to offers including known/unknown quantities, but I would be really upset if the Rangers traded 2OA for anything less than an absurd oversell.

Basically, whatever would make sense in my brain, would not make sense for the other team. That's no knock on Point, but I wouldn't be interested in this deal and I doubt most Rangers fans would.

It also doesn't make sense for Tampa and I would expect them to reject such an offer.

Reactions: bl02 and Nickmo82

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Point played soft and small in the playoffs. Kakko is built for the post season..

Point had 16 points in 17 games last year and lead the charge on Tampa, great argument, KK couldn't even go PPG in the World Jr's

Reactions: mm11

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Like many have said, I would just offer sheet him for $10.5-11 a year and let TB match or take the four picks. Rangers have some high-end prospects and loads of picks, adding Point, Kakko, Kravtsov to a group with Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Kreider, Andersson, Chytil, Howden and Lemieux isn't bad.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Not trading Kakko or Hughes to pay Point $10M+ a year and watch him become a 60pt guy here because we don't have Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Johnson, etc.

Yes without Tyler f***ing Johnson Point will forget how to play hockey. Just admit that you've never watched him play and don't understand how good he is.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Like the proposal or not, this chestnut here is straight up nonsense considering Kakko’s a higher ranked prospect than what Petersson + Point were when they were drafted.

Doesn't matter where a prospect is rated . Scout and experts try and predict what they will become . They can not see the future . Some prospect may be all they can be others will continue to develop , some will make massive strives forward . No one can predict when a player will mature or measure a player heart and will . Drafting is an educated guess .

Yakupov was rated #1 by most of the experts . He has not develop at all since he was drafted
Puljujarvi was mention as possibly 2nd OA before his draft year started . He end up 3rd OA . Blame Edmonton if you want but it hasn't stopped other player from developing

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Both teams seem to dislike the deal, therefore, the value appears to be right.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Point is a terrific player but the way the Rangers are building they need a cost controlled guy who has a chance of being what a top 2 pick can be. Both teams decline

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Like many have said, I would just offer sheet him for $10.5-11 a year and let TB match or take the four picks. Rangers have some high-end prospects and loads of picks, adding Point, Kakko, Kravtsov to a group with Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Kreider, Andersson, Chytil, Howden and Lemieux isn't bad.
I hope you're kidding. A team with this much uncertainty should not be moving 4 first rounders. Period.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Amazes me how many people think Point is good because of those guys, rather than him making some of those guys look very good.

Why does that amaze you? Kucherov had 40 goals and 84 points in only 74 games in Point’s rookie year, while Stamkos missed 65 games.

I’m not saying Point is a product of Kucherov and Stamkos, but you’re going to have one hell of a hard time convincing people that two players who have scored big time without Point are products of playing with Point.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Kakko at 925k is the superior asset over Point at 8 mil. It won’t be even close on a $ per point Basis over the next 3 years. Wilco out.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not trading Kakko or Hughes to pay Point $10M+ a year and watch him become a 60pt guy here because we don't have Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Johnson, etc.
If Point is a 60 point guy on the Rangers then Kakko probably scores 40 on his peak.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I love when players get paid and they're no longer worth having over ELC players who haven't played a game yet. While this doesn't make sense for Rangers, obvious reasons, that doesn't mean Kakko should be worth more than Point for Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad