Brayden Point and TBL Cap Hit; 2019-20

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Except if he takes a massive discount (say somewhere in the 7 million a year range), NHLPA won't be happy.
We heard this false trope right before Stammer, and then Hedman and then Kuch all took pretty hefty discounts. Point will take one, too. The core wants to win, and they want to win multiple times. Tampa is a great place to live and raise a family. And we have a top notch owner. Nor is there any pressure that comes along with playing in some of the other markets. An amalgamation of things have formed this great culture. Point will sign a reasonable bridge in the 7M range, or he will sign a long term deal below 9M.

Plus, and perhaps most importantly, the NHLPA has nothing to worry about with Toronto throwing around above-market contracts like candy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Why? It leaves more money for other players. Players are still getting the money. It's just not all going to one player.
Stars getting top money increases the pay scale for all the other players.
Obviously the cap keeps a lid on that,but every year there is a new high bar set as the cap goes up. Peer comparisons are an agents best weapon.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Point will take a discount or go away like Drouin. Tampa has established it won’t bend to players’ salary demands.

No it doesn't. Hockey players get 50% of revenue no matter what.

Yes, salary size inflation is irrelevant for players since cap introduction. All it does is change proportion of how revenue split.

Point is pretty overrated. Having Kucherov, Stamkos etc with him. Of course he should get 100 points.

While this opinion is extreme, we’ve seen Tyler Johnson go from 1C to 2nd line wing on this very team. Point is a beneficiary of excellent Tampa team and we’re yet to see how he would look in a worse situation.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He's taking the Tampa discount:
ALL YEAR Disney pass
3 alligators
Full access to Steven Stamkos' ketchup chip pantry
$18 an hour which is great due to Florida's low cost of living and taxes

If he's making less than $500 an year, NHL tickets and merchandise better be cheap af or else it's revolution time people! :sarcasm:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It doesn’t even matter. They still have a boatload of super promising talent ready to step in and perform well for cheap, notably Stephens, Katchouk, and Foote. Miller and Johnson are moved, they recoup picks, and the Yzerman cycle continues.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He’s probably getting 10m-11m and that’s taking a discount. He will probably sign for 8 years at that price.
Is that realistic?? He is not going to be worth that in the long-term unless the cap jumps up a LOT. I really think he is the product of a great system but I admittedly can be wrong here...I just didn't expect that kind of AAV.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don’t have the answer on this and nobody really does unless they can see the future but this contract will be a big one for the future of RFA deals.

McDavid and Drai set a new value a couple years ago and the recent Matthews deal enforced that precedent and takes it even further.

Point will either prove that RFAs are still cost controllble assets or show that RFAs want to get paid...

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Much depends on if they go all the way and lift the cup this year or not. If they do Point won't settle with anything less than 10m for sure. If they don't i can see Point taking a short contract for a lot lower. Like 6.5 for 2 years or something as he probably feels that it is only a matter of time before this team actually wins the cup and he sees that opportunity as more important than money.

But what do i know... It's all about money i guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad