Brayden Holtby in his last 200ish regular season games : .900sv%, 3.15 gaa

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Last 182 regular season games, Holtby is .900 and 3.15 gaa

Has 1 more year left of his contract (4 500 000), he will be 32 when the next season begins.
-if he still is in the NHL that is.

Any Canucks fans think he might be a candidate for buyout?

From low 2's and mid .920's to . 3.15 gaa and .900.

Can he make a comeback, or is his career done for?.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Okay, what's with that "last 182 RS games" cut-off point? As such it looks kinda arbitrary.

Reactions: Beville

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Okay, what's with that "last 182 RS games" cut-off point? As such it looks kinda arbitrary.

It's exactly 4 season for Holtby.

Not a buy out candidate. Good mentor for Demko. And it would cost more to buy him out + sign a replacement.

Besides Vancouver has much better buy out targets.

Reactions: Stubu

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
His contract is structured to be very buyout friendly for Vancouver. He'd cost them 500k in cap space this season and $1.9 million next season when Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo, and Virtanen (if his contract is not terminated) all come off the books.

You would have to think this was intentional, to expose him in the expansion draft and buy him out if he's not taken, now that Demko has proven he's the starter. With that being said... you never know with Benning.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
His contract is structured to be very buyout friendly for Vancouver. He'd cost them 500k in cap space this season and $1.9 million next season when Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo, and Virtanen (if his contract is not terminated) all come off the books.

You would have to think this was intentional, to expose him in the expansion draft and buy him out if he's not taken, now that Demko has proven he's the starter. With that being said... you never know with Benning.

I don’t know why Canucks fans would want to buy him out. The Canucks aren’t contending and it’s not like they’re married to him. It’s only one year. And he’s a decent stopgap to mentor a young goalie.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I don’t know why Canucks fans would want to buy him out. The Canucks aren’t contending and it’s not like they’re married to him. It’s only one year. And he’s a decent stopgap to mentor a young goalie.

Because Pettersson and Hughes are RFA, they have little cap space, and there's several positions to fill. They can't afford to spend $4.3 million on a bottom tier backup goaltender. If their cap wasn't so badly managed, I would agree with you.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Holtby is bought out and the Caps lose one of their young goalies to Seattle, I wouldnt be shocked to find Holtby signed at a low dollar deal. It seems odd that he has fallen apart at such a young age

lawrence

May 19, 2012
His name was totally dropped for potential buy outs but I doubt we will buy him out.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
His value has cratered, no doubt. His game was always mental, though, and he's not old. It wouldn't be surprising to see him rebound, be it with new goalie coaching, surroundings, or a sports psychologist. I too have thought that he might end up with the Capitals again before his career is done.

Reactions: txpd

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Why buyout when you can just expose?

I can’t think of many goalies, with pedigree, that Seattle would give a hard miss to Holtby for?

(or am I getting my seasons mixed here?)

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Ehhh… he has invaluable experience that he can pass on to demko. He’s not what he was but he’s a good mentor and a solid back up

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
His value has cratered, no doubt. His game was always mental, though, and he's not old. It wouldn't be surprising to see him rebound, be it with new goalie coaching, surroundings, or a sports psychologist. I too have thought that he might end up with the Capitals again before his career is done.

Reports had him at a Nationals game this week. I dont know but its possible that he still has their home there. You are right. He is just 32 and doesnt have any history of injuries that would effect his play. His game is mental and he's a zen kind of man.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Last 182 regular season games, Holtby is .900 and 3.15 gaa

Has 1 more year left of his contract (4 500 000), he will be 32 when the next season begins.
-if he still is in the NHL that is.

Any Canucks fans think he might be a candidate for buyout?

From low 2's and mid .920's to . 3.15 gaa and .900.

Can he make a comeback, or is his career done for?.
They should trade Holtby for goalless in his last 18 playoff games Mitch Marner

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
You know what's funny? You could do this with a lot of goalies' surface stats and it would paint an interesting picture.

Just for example:

Braden Holtby: 182 games, 3.15 GAA, .900 SV Pct
Player A: 195 games, 2.75 GAA, .909 SV Pct
Player B: 201 games, 2.83 GAA, .913 SV Pct

Player A is Carey Price, who a lot of people say is a top 5 goalie in the world. Player B is Frederik Andersen, who a lot of people think is washed and should be a backup at this point in his career.

It's just interesting how you can take the player away from the name and the stats will tell you one thing, but the name will carry a different weight...

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Holtby has sucked for a while now. Most people already knew that. Jimbo clearly didn’t get the memo.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Anybody who actually watched the games he played this year would have seen a) several where the team in front of him simply didn't show up and in which he actually played quite well despite awful stats and b) the fact that he started almost every tough game for the Canucks this year with Demko playing only 2 2nd -of-back-to-back-games this year (he lost both) while IIRC Holtby played 7. He was the cannon fodder that the Canucks used to shield Demko from any sort of tough games which makes me think that a) Holtby is nowhere hear as bad as Canuck fans claim and that b) Demko is nowhere near the God that Canuck fans claim (hope?). Me, I hope he goes to Seattle and plays well. Unless the Canucks acquire another sacrificial lamb to coddle Demko with he will almost certainly regress...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad