Bratislava Capitals: New King in town?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
A new very ambitious project is starting in Bratislava: Bratislava Capitals.

Lot of interesting names already on their roster:

Goalies
Peter Hamerlík, Matej Gajan, Matej Mega

Defense
Karol Sloboda, Lukáš Bohunický, Matej Bača, Ivan Jankovič, Vladimír Lukáčik, Matúš Juriga, Ryan Martinelli

Forwards
Félix Petrinec, Tibor Varga, Róbert Varga, Marek Slovák, Dávid Buc, Marcel Holovič, Denis Hudec, Martin Kalináč, Filip Surovka, Michal Šálka, Erik Smolka, Patrik Danišovský

Caoches
Peter Oremus, Michal Hudec, Roman Mega, Ján Kovačič

David Buc: played on last 2 WCH. Big jumb for him. To Slovak second league
Eric Selleck: from last champion HC 05 Banska Bystrica to second league.

There must be money! And there are rumors, that owner of this team had boycotted Slovan Bratislava everywhere he could. The reason should be, that he would have a clear patch to our top league.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
it should be developed to participate in KHL ?
if it is a good owner, sponsors can be attracted easier (compared to slovan), and i am sure people are hungry to watch high level liga again?
but i write this without knowing anything about this club, the intensions etc...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
So, if they make it to Tipsport Liga, chances are that Koval will no longer support Banska Bystrica, right?

I think this project had great potential back when it was started and Slovan was still in the KHL, today it seems like yet another fight between people with various agendas in Slovak hockey.

I don't think Bratislava can sustain 2 Tipsport Liga team long-term and if just one survives, it will likely be Slovan.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So, if they make it to Tipsport Liga, chances are that Koval will no longer support Banska Bystrica, right?

I think this project had great potential back when it was started and Slovan was still in the KHL, today it seems like yet another fight between people with various agendas in Slovak hockey.

I don't think Bratislava can sustain 2 Tipsport Liga team long-term and if just one survives, it will likely be Slovan.

I think, it can survive. In our league all teams are financially back-rounded with group of investors, they exactly know, they will be in red numbers. Its a toy for them to have a team in hand. You cant make a profit.

So if you have a guy, that is open to invest every season about 1 milllion €, you can have a team also in Krasno nad Kysucou. In Bratislava is place for 2 good teams.

vtmx

Aug 27, 2019
Prague, CZE
Just a lousy club name.
Yup. I like them, I like their ambition and I really hope they make it to the Tipsport liga as early as this year, but they went in the wrong direction with the rebrading. The name is terrible, and the logo and the jerseys aren't looking all that great either.

What is it with Slovak clubs and their need to rip-off NHL teams? Between this and Slovan's laughable logo, I'm starting to think that there's something going on... lol

Reactions: hansomreiste

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
it should be developed to participate in KHL ?
if it is a good owner, sponsors can be attracted easier (compared to slovan), and i am sure people are hungry to watch high level liga again?
but i write this without knowing anything about this club, the intensions etc...

I am in Canada but have Slovak blood.

Why is Slovan hard to sponsor? Is it the same on the football side of things? Whats happening with Slovan Bratislava. I really want to get into watching some games and maybe go watch a few in the future.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I am in Canada but have Slovak blood.

Why is Slovan hard to sponsor? Is it the same on the football side of things? Whats happening with Slovan Bratislava. I really want to get into watching some games and maybe go watch a few in the future.

There is the "Owner issue". A little bit compared to Ottawa Senators. But in his own way. Juraj Siroky doesnt have a good name here in Slovakia. So the sponsors are very aware, if they will thrown their money into his business.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
There is the "Owner issue". A little bit compared to Ottawa Senators. But in his own way. Juraj Siroky doesnt have a good name here in Slovakia. So the sponsors are very aware, if they will thrown their money into his business.

That's just terrible, a big shame unfortunately. Hard to find wealthy Slovaks never mind find ones that could take over the hockey club. What's attendance/interest like?

Does he own the football side of things to? I know they got a big stadium but low attendance numbers but again the Slovak football league isn't as good as the Austrian league.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
That's just terrible, a big shame unfortunately. Hard to find wealthy Slovaks never mind find ones that could take over the hockey club. What's attendance/interest like?

Does he own the football side of things to? I know they got a big stadium but low attendance numbers but again the Slovak football league isn't as good as the Austrian league.

Now are we talking about Slovan or Capitals?

Slovan has still their fans, but the stadium isnt full at their games. Capitals play only for hardcore fans and family members. But on the small stadium in Ruzinov, if im correct.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Now are we talking about Slovan or Capitals?

Slovan has still their fans, but the stadium isnt full at their games. Capitals play only for hardcore fans and family members. But on the small stadium in Ruzinov, if im correct.

Slovan,

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
They must have money to spend. Four Canadians in team: Eric Selleck , Sébastien Piché, Ryan Martinelli and yesterday they signed also goalie Matt Climie.

How it will end?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Looks like Bratislava Capitals will play in the Austrian league next year. EBEL that is, though the league name will change.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Looks like Bratislava Capitals will play in the Austrian league next year. EBEL that is, though the league name will change.

First step before KHL? Long time ago, there was some talk, that Zvolen played with such idea, maybe the investors (and others) have a new candidate. I know, this team is basically Banska Bystrica "B" team. But anyway. There was talk, that the owner of BB doesnt want to give huge money for a team, that played only in our league.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
The cooperation with Banska Bystrica has ended end of last year. BB owner wanted a Bratislava team in Extra League, but now Slovan is back and everything changed.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Not anymore, as far as I know. There is still some connection as BB sponsor Ivo Ďurkovič (iClinic) is head of Capitals board, but BB owner Koval is not involved in the EBEL project.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Pre-season faceoff:

unnamed.jpg

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Okay, so Slovan played without any of their foreigners.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Next Sunday, Bratislava will see a double-header: Bratislava Capitals will play HC Bolzano at 15:00 and Slovan Bratislava will play Spisska Nova Ves at 19:00.

A conflicting schedule (both play at home) remains to be solved for October 10:

Bratislava Capitals vs Linz (scheduled 15:00)
Slovan Bratislava vs Liptovsky Mikulas (scheduled 17:00)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->