Confirmed with Link: Brassard to Pittsburgh for 2018 1st, Gustavsson, Ian Cole

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
This trade is borderline cap circumvention. The retention part of the last CBA was to make bad contracts moveable, not to enable cash for asset deals (or possibly even to scuttle rival Winnipeg?). Thin edge of the wedge here. Wait until a rich team goes into a rebuild and uses this strategy to load up on assets.
Can only retain on 3 contracts though no? So that’s a bit of a governor on those shenanigans.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I was initially confused about the players involved but now think the final outcome is a decent trade for the future. It does however shamefully weaken a struggling team when it is looking for a new home. As to the machinations of the deal itself --a wink and a nod fraud.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Can only retain on 3 contracts though no? So that’s a bit of a governor on those shenanigans.
At any given time? Couldn't a rebuilding Toronto add a bunch of assets by retaining millions on 3 expiring rentals year after year at the deadline?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I have to say, it's pretty amusing to see former "CAN'T MISS FUTURE STAR!!!" prospect Tobias Lindberg being involved as a throw-in in this deal.

Pittsburgh will be his 4th team, yeah? We drafted him, then traded to the Leafs, then traded to Vegas, and now the Pens.

That's why I'm so salty.

This whole prospect hyping thing, I'm quite over it.

We executed one of the greatest draft steals we've ever had, getting EK65 at 15 OA.

Everything has gone to shit, and he's gonna be traded for future prospects and picks, in which case the entire goal is to try and find another elite superstar player like him... and then... somehow it will all be different after that.

Joke.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the trade. I don't like what's happening to Ottawa, but the trade return is very very good

Reactions: JoeSakic

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I have to say, it's pretty amusing to see former "CAN'T MISS FUTURE STAR!!!" prospect Tobias Lindberg being involved as a throw-in in this deal.

Pittsburgh will be his 4th team, yeah? We drafted him, then traded to the Leafs, then traded to Vegas, and now the Pens.

Who called Lindberg a can’t miss future star?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->