Line Combos: Brassard plan B

Teemu13

Jul 11, 2016
Usually I get my fix just reading these forums but this time I have some thoughts I haven’t seen being talked about, and would like to see some input on how people see Chevy/Mo’s next best/most realistic move.
The dream scenario for myself and other posters was to get brassard to maximize the scoring potential in the lineup as we have 6 talented scoring-line type wingers. 2 of which are currently being bogged down by copp, to no fault of his own but he’s just not that type of player and he fits perfectly with Lowry and armia/tanev in a shutdown role. How scary would that lineup be with brassard for the next 2 playoff Runs. We would be cap crunched next year with brassards contract but there’s money to be freed up, with helle’s emergence we don’t need mason and his 4million next year and it’s rumored the brass wants Toby back but really he’s not needed next year. I only bring this up to not rule out the remaining rental+1 contracts.

So plan B, the remaining available Centers imo are not the caliber needed to keep up with our wingers (letestu, plekanec, derek Ryan). I hope this is not what Chevy is now aiming at..
it’s also been reported we’ve been looking at some of the available top wingers. Not sure this is what we need? If so is it a scoring winger or would we be better suited with a defensively responsible winger to take copps spot on the Lowry line and have copp permanently with Laine Ehlers? Because let’s face it, Hendricks is the biggest liability on the ice in our forward group, clearly Mo was ok sitting him in the playoffs with the big push for brassard. Hopefully the priority is still to get him off the ice.

Now, the last option I see and one I hope but fear Mo won’t be interested in obliging is going out and snagging a zuccarelo, Hoffman, Nash, patches. How do we make this fit like the brassard deal? Roslo or Perrault have to step up and fill that 3rd center role. Roslo its a question of if he can, and with over a month left I believe he can adjust. Perrault the question is how much of his effectiveness is lost with him at center. Sure it’s been said he prefers the wing but he’s a good soldier, I couldn’t see him refusing. I hate it but I really don’t see Mo doing this, but this has to be the best scenario is it not? Then there’s also the Wheeler center experiment but if you have an elite line I think you have to keep it intact.
Over a month to find the right line combos.. off the top of my head:
Perrault-little-Ehlers
Zucc-Roslo-Laine
Just one of many options

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We're just fine...

If any change we could do is having Roslovic centre one of the lines. If anything we need it's veterans, no more than that. But if I were to pick a player to trade for, Rick Nash at a good price.

Teemu13

Jul 11, 2016
Hm roslo center, armia into the top 9, copp/Lowry/tanev back together.. best of all no Hendricks. As much as I like the idea of a rental taking us over the top, this might be best considering we keep our 1st + mid level prospect(s). Again pending Mo’s approval...

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wouldnt mind trading for Plekanec to upgrade on Hendricks. Shouldn't cost too much, could bump up to 3C if Lowry is still in and out of the lineup.

Hansen Brother

Jul 30, 2011
In TO, from Keystone
Wouldnt mind trading for Plekanec to upgrade on Hendricks. Shouldn't cost too much, could bump up to 3C if Lowry is still in and out of the lineup.

I wouldn't mind Plekanec either. I was wondering if he might work between Ehlers and Laine. He was once upon a time a fairly talented offensive player. I don't know what his game is like now but if he could be defensively reliable and play a game that would maximize the talents of those two I think that might work.

One thing I feel confidant in saying is he's better at hockeying than Hendricks.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't imagine getting another winger... If so though

Best bet would be to move Wheeler to C.

Let's say we get Zuccarello

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Wheeler Zuccarello
MP Little Roslovic
Copp/Tanev Lowry Armia

Reactions: boydkc

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I can't imagine getting another winger... If so though

Best bet would be to move Wheeler to C.

Let's say we get Zuccarello

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Wheeler Zuccarello
MP Little Roslovic
Copp/Tanev Lowry Armia

I think this is the answer if we pick up another winger.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
If we do not add any forwards, this what I hope our lineup is going into playoffs:

Connor/Scheif/Wheeler
Perrault/Little/Ehlers
Laine/Lowry/Roslovic
Tanev/Copp/Armia

Hendricks and Dano pb.

To be honest, I wanna see what we can do with what we have. When healthy, this team has a very nice mix of size, speed and skill. While we stand a chance getting exposed in an area or two this playoffs, I would rather identify those deficiencies in, what will be many of our players first kick at, playoffs and patch them in the offseason.

Who knows what level this young team is capable of reaching under the extreme stresses of playoffs. Laine elevated the hell out of his game a few years ago, in playoffs. Connor and Roslovic strike me as players that raise their games when it counts. We could be really good without making any changes.

Reactions: HPsauce

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
If we do not add any forwards, this what I hope our lineup is going into playoffs:

Connor/Scheif/Wheeler
Perrault/Little/Ehlers
Laine/Lowry/Roslovic
Tanev/Copp/Armia

Hendricks and Dano pb.

To be honest, I wanna see what we can do with what we have. When healthy, this team has a very nice mix of size, speed and skill. While we stand a chance getting exposed in an area or two this playoffs, I would rather identify those deficiencies in, what will be many of our players first kick at, playoffs and patch them in the offseason.

Who knows what level this young team is capable of reaching under the extreme stresses of playoffs. Laine elevated the hell out of his game a few years ago, in playoffs. Connor and Roslovic strike me as players that raise their games when it counts. We could be really good without making any changes.

Lowry’s line is going to be a shut down line regardless so there’s next to no chance Laine plays with him.

Reactions: Mathil8

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
What about the Jets trading for Derek Stepan from the Coyotes. He has term and would be tradable in a year or two if we need to free up cap space.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We have to stop converting all of our young centres to wingers. Some of them are good enough to stay and center.
We have one already on the team who can likely score close to the levels of some of these 5 million dollar guys with wingers like Laine and Ehlers.
His name is Jack Roslovic.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We have to stop converting all of our young centres to wingers. Some of them are good enough to stay and center.
We have one already on the team who can likely score close to the levels of some of these 5 million dollar guys with wingers like Laine and Ehlers.
His name is Jack Roslovic.

Playing center at the NHL level is grueling. It's a very different horse than the AHL. A lot of it has to do with reads and faceoff ability. Stat nerds will tell you faceoffs don't matter. Anyone who actually plays knows how important they are on a stamina level. Roslovic should be given a chance to show what he has though.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Remaining options possibly Plekanec, Zach Smith, Letestu? I wouldnt mind any of them really. Im really not interested in having Wheeler at center again. Would much rather leave the top 2 lines as there are and rolling with one of the 3 mentioned between Laine/Ehlers. That way when Lowry is back you can roll out the Lowry/Copp/Armia heavy shutdown line. Looks sweet to me!

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pleks, Pleks, Pleks. Defensively responsible, good pker. all of his points are ES points this year.

Good upgrade over Hendricks who's only talent better than Plekanec's is fighting, which is basically useless in the playoffs.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah, Plekanec sounds like plausible option, should we be looking for a center.

A significant improvement over Hendricks might not sound like much, but when the playoffs roll around, it means that we can lose two centers before having to look at Wheeler/whoever at C.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
So Plekanec would be playing in who's spot?

This makes no sense.

When Tanev and Lowry are back, they're both in the line up? Petan and Hendricks come out I assume.

I don't see Plekanec coming in and taking Copps spot?

This makes more sense to get Zuccarello and move MP to center.

Even Pageau would be a better option here.

An old over the hill Plekanec isn't going to be the difference for us.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So Plekanec would be playing in who's spot?

This makes no sense.

When Tanev and Lowry are back, they're both in the line up? Petan and Hendricks come out I assume.

I don't see Plekanec coming in and taking Copps spot?

This makes more sense to get Zuccarello and move MP to center.

Even Pageau would be a better option here.

An old over the hill Plekanec isn't going to be the difference for us.
It has been said countless times already; Perreault is a winger, not a center. End of story.

Reactions: KurtG8 and mcpw

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
It has been said countless times already; Perreault is a winger, not a center. End of story.
This, and the reason is said to be mostly because that MP's back can't handle constant faceoffs anymore.
Does someone have a link to some article or sth about this? I know, google is your friend, but I'm lazy :rolleyes: . It's been said by many here and many times, but I don't remember seeing any reference about it.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

Said by who?

Pretty sure that's not the end of the story.

I know MP didn't play well at C last season, but he simply wasn't playing well at all during that period of time. He was terrible on the wing as well until the second half.

This season is a different story, MP is truly driving and he's a natural center.

I've heard PoMo say that they like him on the wing but would consider using him at Center if needed.

You would rather an over the hill Plekanec at Center over MP? I would rather MP and a winger who is an improvement over MP

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Said by who?

Pretty sure that's not the end of the story.

I know MP didn't play well at C last season, but he simply wasn't playing well at all during that period of time. He was terrible on the wing as well until the second half.

This season is a different story, MP is truly driving and he's a natural center.

I've heard PoMo say that they like him on the wing but would consider using him at Center if needed.

You would rather an over the hill Plekanec at Center over MP? I would rather MP and a winger who is an improvement over MP
Perreault himself. Maurice seems to agree with that notion; he has not played a game at C in a year, and this has been with regular centers out of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad