Brassard Made Latrendresse Look Good?

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
i found this article particularly interesting considering my isles have a very good chance to land brassard. there are plenty of things i don't like about him, mainly his frame and his total wimpiness at the combine. what i do like is the fact that red line suggests brassard wasn't leaching off latrendresse. in fact, they go as far as saying that brassard was carrying latrendresse down the stretch.

here's the link:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20060503_094022_3900

any "q" fans out there who can comment on this report? i do know that brassard's best playoff game came without latrendresse even in the lineup. i suppose that tends to support what the author is suggesting.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
islandermaniac said:
i found this article particularly interesting considering my isles have a very good chance to land brassard. there are plenty of things i don't like about him, mainly his frame and his total wimpiness at the combine. what i do like is the fact that red line suggests brassard wasn't leaching off latrendresse. in fact, they go as far as saying that brassard was carrying latrendresse down the stretch.

here's the link:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20060503_094022_3900

any "q" fans out there who can comment on this report? i do know that brassard's best playoff game came without latrendresse even in the lineup. i suppose that tends to support what the author is suggesting.

Drummondville was 12-4 when Latendresse was not in the line-up during a) his stint in Montreal's camp, and b) his stint in the World Juniors, and Brassard posted numbers without Latendresse in the lineup akin to those he had with Latendresse in the lineup, so no Latendresse does not mean Brassard disappeared. Rather that he elevated his play even more to pick up the slack Latendresse's absence created.

That is not at all to say that one carried the other, though, as both are dynamite players, and complement each other really well.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
in the games I saw against Chicoutimi, I was wayyy more impressed by Brassard. Latendresse was pretty much invisible, so from what I've seen it could be true.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
I've never really gotten the impression that brassard was carrying Latendresse in the least, granted I prefer Brassard by a fair margin but that's no slight considering I'd take Brassard 4th-6th overall, the best pure playmaker in the draft IMO.

I suppose I can understand the perception as Latendresse tends to be lazy and entirely unmotivated at times, but when he's on his game he can very legitimately be a dynamic forward on his own without Brassard's assistance.
They tend to compliment each other quite nicely, so I'm not sure either has truly benefitted substantially more from the others presence.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When I saw Brassard and Latendresse here in Gatineau in the Playoffs, I would have to say Brassard was the most impressive- by far. Latendresse had flashes of brilliance, but Brassard was dominating every shift.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
I guess Brasserd will get all the love right now!!

from all the fans, but please don't bring down latendresse to make your point, team drafting brassard with their top pick is gone have to make latendresse into mediocre it seems to justify that pick!!

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Habs4ever said:
from all the fans, but please don't bring down latendresse to make your point, team drafting brassard with their top pick is gone have to make latendresse into mediocre it seems to justify that pick!!
If the Yotes get Brassard I promise not to say a single negative thing about Latendresse. That wasn't so difficult, are you a bit paranoid?

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
superjonathan said:
they also go as far as saying brassard is a goaltender. :)
i saw that too! lol! who proof reads these things?

i'll let that slide though. red line seems to know what they are talking about on a regular basis.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Habs4ever said:
i don't think the article is running down latrendresse...nor is any in this thread. i think the report is merely giving credit to brassard for being able to play at a high level...with or without latrendresse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->