Brando's Top 50 NHL Prospects

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Terrible list.

Just using McKenzie's pre-draft rankings. Which is pretty unanimous as a great list for an unbias average consensus of prospects has the order and ranks of this year's prospects so vastly different than yours it's disgusting.

Team bias grabbing players off the board should not factor into a real list.

Neither should team bias who very obviously drafted purely on position factor into a real list.

You want a list. Start with McKenzie for this year's prospects and rank post draft prospects based on performance around that list.
haha so basically people should shut up and listen to McKenzie's scouts rather than form lists based on their own viewings and opinions? Jesus Christ

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The only thing keeping this obviously dead thread/list going is the reactions to my comments.

If you followed the draft at all you know at least 3 of the players I was referring to. It's obvious.

If this is the list that supposedly comes from "watching" prospects it would be better to just use McKenzie's.

To me it looks like the poster just went off where the players were actually drafted and then sprinkled in thier own personal bias with very little actual comparison going on.

Anyone can just make a list the way it "appears" this guy did. You post on a public forum with a list that certainly shows personal bias for prospects with no credentials and someone, me in this case, can legitimately dislike it as such.

And yes my own research and personal bias about Bouchard and the defense in this draft is part of the reason I dislike this list. But so much more or I wouldn't have bothered to reply at all. And since no one else is commenting on this list at all anyways this will be my final comment.

Reactions: Brando

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
The only thing keeping this obviously dead thread/list going is the reactions to my comments.

If you followed the draft at all you know at least 3 of the players I was referring to. It's obvious.

If this is the list that supposedly comes from "watching" prospects it would be better to just use McKenzie's.

To me it looks like the poster just went off where the players were actually drafted and then sprinkled in thier own personal bias with very little actual comparison going on.

Anyone can just make a list the way it "appears" this guy did. You post on a public forum with a list that certainly shows personal bias for prospects with no credentials and someone, me in this case, can legitimately dislike it as such.

And yes my own research and personal bias about Bouchard and the defense in this draft is part of the reason I dislike this list. But so much more or I wouldn't have bothered to reply at all. And since no one else is commenting on this list at all anyways this will be my final comment.
I mean he ranked Bouchard #24 and Bouchard is just winning the poll in top prospects #23 sooooooo I don't think he's that far off, although I do think Bouchard could be a few spots higher

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Brando

May 21, 2017

[MOD] Obviously there's bias, it's a personal list. You should probably reevaluate your life if a list I put together in 20 minutes makes you this angry.

And no, that's not how I ranked the players. I went through each team alphabetically, picked out their best prospects and ranked them that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
[MOD] Obviously there's bias, it's a personal list. You should probably reevaluate your life if a list I put together in 20 minutes makes you this angry.

And no, that's not how I ranked the players. I went through each team alphabetically, picked out their best prospects and ranked them that way.
Just ignore him. You’ve obviously put a lot of time and effort into your list and have valid reasons for putting players where you have.
You’ll never satisfy everyone. There’s a tendency by some people to overvalue their own prospects because they follow them more closely and are invested in them. Those people will take exception to your rankings. You just need to ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yammo had a better season than Rasmussen

Lol

1.45PPG is better than 1.51PPG?

Yamamoto had lower PPG and GPG than in his draft year.

Again, a 5'8'' hockey player without dynamic skill doesn't even become an NHL prospect. The question with a player that small is whether he has some of the most dynamic skill ever seen in a hockey player, because if he doesn't it's unlikely he will become a regular top 6 NHLer.

No, the 11 inch shorter prospect, who had a lower points per game and goals per game this year and doesnt play as well defensively had a better season this year. He was drafted 13 spots lower and his production went down this year but dont you know hes better?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Solid list. Few really random ones that didn't make sense to me:
1) Smith over Bouchard
2) Kotkaniemi over Vesalainen/Chytil

Other than that nice work!

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lol

No, the 11 inch shorter prospect, who had a lower points per game and goals per game this year and doesnt play as well defensively had a better season this year. He was drafted 13 spots lower and his production went down this year but dont you know hes better?

So Blake Wheeler had a better season than Connor McDavid?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson is the best prospect on the planet right now, he just put a generational year in SHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So Blake Wheeler had a better season than Connor McDavid?

Ummmmmmmm nope.

The season where McDavid led the league in scoring, and outscored Wheeler by 17 points was definitely McDavid who was better... I think thats pretty obvious

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ummmmmmmm nope.

The season where McDavid led the league in scoring, and outscored Wheeler by 17 points was definitely McDavid who was better... I think thats pretty obvious

Then why are you including Rasmussen's playoffs in point totals?

Ras had 59 points in 47 games(1.25ppg)
Yammo had 64 points in 40(1.6ppg)

How could you claim McD lead a league in scoring when you are omitting playoff points, yet for Rassmussen, you make an exception?

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
You can't play in the AHL unless you are 20. What is false about that? Please explain. Nothing in that post is false and 100% correct.

Wth are you talking about?? Of course a player can play in the AHL at 18/19. Liljegren just did. Rantanen also, two years ago.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

How could you claim McD lead a league in scoring when you are omitting playoff points, yet for Rassmussen, you make an exception?
McDavid had much higher PPG even including playoffs.
But it’s different if we’re talking NHL and players with 80 game regular seasons. 40-50 games is a small sample size. Disregarding playoffs is disregarding a large portion of these kids’ season. It’s pretty common to include playoff performance when judging a prospects’ season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Why do you do this in every thread? Other Canucks fans (at least myself) don't appreciate it. People already know Pettersson had a great season, and Dahlin is the best prospect on the planet.

lol, i can express my opinion whenever I want, if you don't appreciate it, then put me on your ignore list. funny how freedom works on the internet eh.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Because we're talking about actual games played over the course of a season for these prospects. Games in which these prospects develop. Unless you think in the playoffs prospects dont develop at all? We can speculate on what McDavid would've done in the playoffs I guess but in actual games played he took the art ross and even including Wheelers huge playoffs McDavid still had a higher points per game. Pretty bad reach for a comparison

We're talking about a player who had a higher points per game, much higher goals per game, is 11 inches taller, can play center, is a better 2 way player and was drafted 13 spots higher. Somehow one is ranked in the 20s and the other is unranked. It should be the other way around if anything

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I made a top 75 NHL prospects but here is my top 50 since it gets really wide open after about 35ish.

Let me know how stupid I am.
(Donato & Sprong were not in my original list. They were added after I realized I forgot them)

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Elias Pettersson
4. Miro Heiskanen
5. Casey Mittelstadt
6. Filip Zadina
7. Quinn Hughes
8. Kirill Kaprizov
9. Cale Makar
10. Eeli Tolvanen
11. Martin Necas
12. Gabe Vilardi
13. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
14. Noah Dobson
15. Henrik Borgstrom
16. Robert Thomas
17. Filip Chytil
18. Cody Glass
19. Adam Boqvist
20. Dylan Strome
21. Oliver Wahlstrom
22. Brady Tkachuck
23. Ty Smith
24. Evan Bouchard
25. Kristian Vesalainen
26. Erik Branstrom
27. Kailer Yamamoto
28. Morgan Frost
29. Vitali Kravstov
30. Lias Andersson
31. Jordan Kyrou
32. Sam Steel
33. Ryan Donato
34. Rasmus Andersson
35. Timothy Liljegren
36. Nick Merkley
37. Adam Fox
38. Daniel Sprong
39. Aleksi Heponiemi
40. Nick Suzuki
41. Henri Jokiharju
42. Cal Foote
43. Jusso Valimaki
44. Sami Niku
45. Olli Juoleivi
46. Carter Hart
47. Johnathan Dahlen
48. Andreas Johnsson
49. Barrett Hayton
50. Dante Fabbro

Good list, but Philippe Myers belongs on it over several of the D prospects listed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What's your point?
Wings' top 6 is widely known as one of the worst in the league
Perhaps. But that’s because of a lack of 1-2 superstars. Not because it’s a garbage group of non-NHLers. He’ll still be fighting guys like Gustav Nyquist, Mantha, Vanek, Bertuzzi and Athanasiou for opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad