Brando's Top 50 NHL Prospects

Brando

May 21, 2017
I made a top 75 NHL prospects but here is my top 50 since it gets really wide open after about 35ish.

Let me know how stupid I am.
(Donato & Sprong were not in my original list. They were added after I realized I forgot them)

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Elias Pettersson
4. Miro Heiskanen
5. Casey Mittelstadt
6. Filip Zadina
7. Quinn Hughes
8. Kirill Kaprizov
9. Cale Makar
10. Eeli Tolvanen
11. Martin Necas
12. Gabe Vilardi
13. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
14. Noah Dobson
15. Henrik Borgstrom
16. Robert Thomas
17. Filip Chytil
18. Cody Glass
19. Adam Boqvist
20. Dylan Strome
21. Oliver Wahlstrom
22. Brady Tkachuck
23. Ty Smith
24. Evan Bouchard
25. Kristian Vesalainen
26. Erik Branstrom
27. Kailer Yamamoto
28. Morgan Frost
29. Vitali Kravstov
30. Lias Andersson
31. Jordan Kyrou
32. Sam Steel
33. Ryan Donato
34. Rasmus Andersson
35. Timothy Liljegren
36. Nick Merkley
37. Adam Fox
38. Daniel Sprong
39. Aleksi Heponiemi
40. Nick Suzuki
41. Henri Jokiharju
42. Cal Foote
43. Jusso Valimaki
44. Sami Niku
45. Olli Juoleivi
46. Carter Hart
47. Johnathan Dahlen
48. Andreas Johnsson
49. Barrett Hayton
50. Dante Fabbro

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Sprong does not get enough love. Sprong could very easily be one of the best rookies in the NHL this season. Sprong has had dominating seasons the past two seasons. Two years ago he was coming off shoulder injury that kept him from training all offseason and he missed the first half of the season because of it. So even with all that he comes in slow but still puts up 41 goals and 79 points in 43 games counting playoffs. You can't have a more dominant season than that and to do that after missing half a season and all summer training makes it even more impressive. Averaging about a goal a game and almost 2 points a game is great enough but take out his first 10 games when shaking off the rust and getting into game shape when he was only about a point a game during that time and his goals and points average was even more eye popping. Then Sprong last year at 20 which is the youngest you can be in the AHL he leads all rookies in goals and only 1 goal off the best in the AHL with 32 goals in 65 games and was a point a game player. For him not to be in a top 50 prospect list is shameful. Nothing is 100% when it comes to prospects but Sprong has a decent chance at being on either Crosby or Malkin's wing this season and with his shot and skill I could very easily see him putting up top tier numbers and being near the rookie lead in goals and points. Even if Sprong ends up with Brassard he still will put up some good numbers. Not many prospects not in the NHL have had a better past two seasons than Sprong in his 19 and 20 year old seasons.

Reactions: lilmaxo

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Good attempt! I think the trio of Tkachuk, Hayton and Kotkaniemi are underrated a bit on these boards, but apart from that, fun list! Curious to see what other people have.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
My team's prospects are WAY too low!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously tho, I have a couple small quibbles (Tkachuk should be higher for example), but overall solid list.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Sprong does not get enough love. Sprong could very easily be one of the best rookies in the NHL this season. Sprong has had dominating seasons the past two seasons. Two years ago he was coming off shoulder injury that kept him from training all offseason and he missed the first half of the season because of it. So even with all that he comes in slow but still puts up 41 goals and 79 points in 43 games counting playoffs. You can't have a more dominant season than that and to do that after missing half a season and all summer training makes it even more impressive. Averaging about a goal a game and almost 2 points a game is great enough but take out his first 10 games when shaking off the rust and getting into game shape when he was only about a point a game during that time and his goals and points average was even more eye popping. Then Sprong last year at 20 which is the youngest you can be in the AHL he leads all rookies in goals and only 1 goal off the best in the AHL with 32 goals in 65 games and was a point a game player. For him not to be in a top 50 prospect list is shameful. Nothing is 100% when it comes to prospects but Sprong has a decent chance at being on either Crosby or Malkin's wing this season and with his shot and skill I could very easily see him putting up top tier numbers and being near the rookie lead in goals and points. Even if Sprong ends up with Brassard he still will put up some good numbers. Not many prospects not in the NHL have had a better past two seasons than Sprong in his 19 and 20 year old seasons.
Bolded is false.

Also, respectfully, I would suggest trying to incorporate more paragraphs into your post. Paragraphs would make massive wall of text like this much easier to read, and would help make your point more clear (if properly utilized).

Reactions: Grub and Fenris

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Bolded is false.

Also, respectfully, I would suggest trying to incorporate more paragraphs into your post. Paragraphs would make massive wall of text like this much easier to read, and would help make your point more clear (if properly utilized).

You can't play in the AHL unless you are 20. What is false about that? Please explain. Nothing in that post is false and 100% correct.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
You can't play in the AHL unless you are 20. What is false about that? Please explain. Nothing in that post is false and 100% correct.
FAQ | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

18 is the minimum age required to be eligible to play in the AHL, not 20. Some leagues like the CHL (NCAA too...?) have agreements in place that keep 18 and 19 year olds from joining the AHL from those leagues. However, European players in particular occasionally play in the AHL at 18 or 19 years old.

For example, Klim Kostin played in the AHL last season as an 18 year old. Alex Nylander also played in the AHL as an 18 and 19 year old.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Nice list. I always like to see where the Canucks prospects land. 4 in your top 50 is awesome. I know you don't rank goalies, but would you have Demko in the top 50 if you did? Also, where would you slot Dahlen, Lind and Gaudette? I'd assume on that list of 75?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->