Brandon Tanev Signing (2 Years Ago) Possible Replacement?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tanev was great for the Penguins, but his contract was and still is an absolute mess. The Penguins are lucky to get out of his deal without having to take any money back.

They do need to bring in a Tanev replacement, but those aren't particularly difficult to find in either free agency or trades.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What this team needs right now is to allocate the money they have into the top six and goaltending. They probably need to dump at least one more contract (ideally two), and then go after someone big. If that player is not available in free agency, they should attack the RFA market via trades.

The fourth line should be a bunch of hungry guys trying to stick in the lineup, scratching and clawing for every ounce of ice time.

Instead, 2/3 of the fourth line is intact after we decided to qualify Aston-Reese.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Seattle did us a solid by taking Tanev. Francis has been a disaster thus far.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Seattle did us a solid by taking Tanev. Francis has been a disaster thus far.

Debbie_Downer.PNG

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm going to miss Tanevs non quit motor and his physicality. He's like a hard hitting energizer bunny. Let's trade for Tanev at 50% at the TD when Seattle bombs. ;)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Tanev's worked out perfectly. Overpaid slightly for a couple years instead of way-overpaying for 6. There are a dozen bottom 6ers with similar impacts that are available for near league minimum. Identity has to come from leadership and Sully, not bottom 6 guys.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tanev wasn't over paid by much, maybe 500k at best for what he brought to this team. It was the tenure and I think that's what the team had to do to get him over other offers. It's fine. The bitching and whining about it is probably the worst part of that whole time.

The team needed to add to Tanev on this roster which is why I wanted Cousins and Hartman as well as Blais. All 3 play a fantastic game outside of just being ornery as f*** to play against. Now we have no Tanev. Our next "gritty" player that this team thinks is that type is ZAR and that's the worst result in this outside of the good of being free of that contract but losing a quality player.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Tanev wasn't over paid by much, maybe 500k at best for what he brought to this team. It was the tenure and I think that's what the team had to do to get him over other offers. It's fine. The bitching and whining about it is probably the worst part of that whole time.

The team needed to add to Tanev on this roster which is why I wanted Cousins and Hartman as well as Blais. All 3 play a fantastic game outside of just being ornery as f*** to play against. Now we have no Tanev. Our next "gritty" player that this team thinks is that type is ZAR and that's the worst result in this outside of the good of being free of that contract but losing a quality player.
Pens the softest team in the NHL? HexBurke have some tinkering to do.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think Tanev was really that good. He literally was the guy who turned the puck over in the d-zone in the GWG to clinch the series against Montreal. He didn't turn the tide at all in the playoffs.

Is that all his fault? No. But we paid him 3.5m to play 4th line minutes and the 4th line didn't do anything to really make us win. He was the highest paid player on that line and I can't really think of when his grit came into play when it mattered.

That being said, I still think he is a fun player to watch because his energy is great. And i'm not trying to "hot take" it up over here. People say we need that style to be successful and then it didn't really do a single thing. They thought THAT was worth six f***ing years. :laugh:

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't think Tanev was really that good. He literally was the guy who turned the puck over in the d-zone in the GWG to clinch the series against Montreal. He didn't turn the tide at all in the playoffs.

Is that all his fault? No. But we paid him 3.5m to play 4th line minutes and the 4th line didn't do anything to really make us win. He was the highest paid player on that line and I can't really think of when his grit came into play when it mattered.

That being said, I still think he is a fun player to watch because his energy is great.
Who are you? I don't recognize that name without it being colored.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

That being said, I still think he is a fun player to watch because his energy is great. And i'm not trying to "hot take" it up over here. People say we need that style to be successful and then it didn't really do a single thing. They thought THAT was worth six f***ing years. :laugh:
What Cole is trying to say is that ZAR WAS THE MAGIC on that line.

Exactly what the agent of Aston-Reese would say. You tosser, I've outed you.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
BTW Tanev was Jr's attempt at getting a Hagelin back. The way he was utilized might be the biggest issue here. He wasn't tried much with Sid as a Dupuis type with him, basically the usual Sullivan shtick.

He fluked into a line and then stuck with it. This past season, when ZAR was back it didn't work as well again and of course, Sully had no solve. Tanev looked better when that line had a more offensive element to it like McCann. He produced. The moment Sullivan tried to turn it into the shutdown line again, it didn't work as well because that duo of Blue and Tanev grew into something else that Sullivan had no idea how to utilize.

I mean Blue was on pace for 42pts and Tanev 40. Yet Sullivan decided the best thing for the team was to throw ZAR back on that line and f*** that entire momentum up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

100%. Tanev was a good solider for us, but at that cap hit he needed to be THE GUY.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, I'd go as far as to say both ZAR and Tanev are overrated, but that's just my own ornery self.
Tanev was overrated in his usage the first year, the 2nd year he wasn't.

McCann-Blueger-Tanev was probably the closest to the best 3rd line we've had on this team that wasn't some HBK fluke for a stretch type of deal. All 3 were on 40+ point paces while he and Blueger were getting +70% DZone starts. McCann was around 46%. They should have been kept together longer IMO, before the Z-B-T line was thrown back together because Sullivan lacks creativity with line-up. In any case, we'll never know what could have been with a different winger on that line because ZAR was quickly back on it and it eventually started to teeter off when Blueger got hurt.

But ZAR is just, that production is 4th line. He needs to be on the 4th line. Blueger is a 3rd line C, Tanev from last season's production was a 3rd line winger, Aston-Reese should never be penciled in as the 3rd line LW on a f***ing contender. Also, Tanev is now Seattle's problem, Hakstol loves a defense first system so let's see what he does with Turbo.

Even when we lose Turbo, people still want to bitch about him. This fan base is ridiculous.

We have Turbo, people whine about his contract.
We literally lose Turbo, people still whine about his contract and now how he's overrated.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, BART was the dumbest f***ing name ever for a line. IT made zero sense considering where the players played on the line.

AR-B-T.

f***ing dyslexic :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Reactions: Night Shift

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't mind the player. Too much money but I mean....

Social media crew didn't take advantage enough

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Overpaying bottom 6 players is not a good strategy but you need depth. The only other way to do that is develop young players which we have little to none of. When you have a lack of young cheap players it doesn't leave you with a lot of options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad