Brandon Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on him. I've been impressed by him in the few games I've seen on tv and he has some of the better numbers among the 16 year olds in the WHL (compared to say Colton Gillies). He has good size, although rather lanky, and seems to move reasonably well. He seems to have good instincts on the ice and can handle the puck well enough to create offence. Combine that with his bloodlines and he looks like he should be a high draft pick. I haven't heard much about him in the 2007 previews read other than a positive report from Blair Mackasey, so I was wondering what other people thought about him?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Before this season began, I was skeptical that he would be able be anything more than a low-scoring, low-skilled forward who just happened to have the last name Sutter. But he's of course proven me wrong. I'm seeing him do things I didn't think he knew how to do, compared to previous viewings and reports about him. Definitely a high draft pick.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Doomsday Device said:
Any opinions on him. I've been impressed by him in the few games I've seen on tv and he has some of the better numbers among the 16 year olds in the WHL (compared to say Colton Gillies). He has good size, although rather lanky, and seems to move reasonably well. He seems to have good instincts on the ice and can handle the puck well enough to create offence. Combine that with his bloodlines and he looks like he should be a high draft pick. I haven't heard much about him in the 2007 previews read other than a positive report from Blair Mackasey, so I was wondering what other people thought about him?

McKeens ranks him at #5 overall for the 2007 draft. I'd say he's ranked very high, and at least one reliable source likes him alot.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Don't be mistaken....

Sutter has been impressive this year....but don't be mistaken....this guy leads the team in icetime...its kind of a hidden secret in Rebelland that coach Sutter is working at getting this guy drafted high by giving him tonnes of icetime. I have seen him play the full two minutes on a powerplay. He is a regular first liner, first line powerplay and first line shorthanded. He came into this year as a sixteen year old. He was also given an 'A' when our captain went down with an injury. This has created some sore spots with his teammates. However it must be said that Brandon is a great kid witha great attitude which bodes very well for him.

Many people notice the extra icetime...how can one not. Colton Gillies would put up the same numbers if he had the same icetime and was an all around first liner!

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
mapletoft said:
Sutter has been impressive this year....but don't be mistaken....this guy leads the team in icetime...its kind of a hidden secret in Rebelland that coach Sutter is working at getting this guy drafted high by giving him tonnes of icetime. I have seen him play the full two minutes on a powerplay. He is a regular first liner, first line powerplay and first line shorthanded. He came into this year as a sixteen year old. He was also given an 'A' when our captain went down with an injury. This has created some sore spots with his teammates. However it must be said that Brandon is a great kid witha great attitude which bodes very well for him.

Many people notice the extra icetime...how can one not. Colton Gillies would put up the same numbers if he had the same icetime and was an all around first liner!

What you forgot to add is that Brandon, as rookie, is also the one player of the Rebels who shows up every night and plays his heart out, every time he steps on the ice. Something that can't be said for our vets. Brandon earned his ice time and for him getting the A when Vandermeer and lot of other vets were out, who else do you think should have gotten the A?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
He gets the extra ice-time because other than his cousin the top scorers are Ken Petkau, and Ted Vandermeer. Maybe toss in Matthew Cline there too.

Sutter is a phenomenal skill set, is a good hard worker and has good bloodline, he'll go high, and more importantly Red Deer will be a solid team next year and the year after with their youth movement.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Brandon Sutter works hard out of the fear of his coach just like a lot of other Rebels do. Nobody is going to say anything about his icetime...are you kidding me? Brandon was simply handed the icetime let there be no doubt. Yes, he is doing something with that icetime but the amount of time will never change. It is extremely rare that a 16-year old wears a 'A' in the Dub, never mind the son a the head coach and GM.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Sutter's looked pretty impressive when I've seen him against Brandon and Calgary throughout the season. Shows some good hockey sense, good hands and he's tall for a 16 year old, when he fills out, look out!!

mbam99

Sep 3, 2003
Red Deer
Visit site
As a Rebel season ticket holder, I could not agree more with mapletoft.
Mapletoft has hit the nail on the head.
Sutter has skills, he will be just fine, but as a 16 year old, he is given way too much ice time. There are other players, I believe who would be doing better than Sutter if given his ice time.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Mr Bugg said:
Before this season began, I was skeptical that he would be able be anything more than a low-scoring, low-skilled forward who just happened to have the last name Sutter. But he's of course proven me wrong. I'm seeing him do things I didn't think he knew how to do, compared to previous viewings and reports about him. Definitely a high draft pick.

This is his first season..........???? He is only 16, the other guy which I think you are talking about is Brett Sutter.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
I watched Sutter when he was in Bantam and I was skeptical (to say the least) when Brent traded up in the Bantam Draft to take his son, when IMO he would have been available in the 2nd Round or even later in the first. However, my opinion has changed immensely in the last couple of years, especially this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->