Brandon Sutter VS. Kyle Chipchura

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Now that the Habs have the 12th pick, they might have a shot at Brandon Sutter, if they want him of course. But we already Have Chipchura so I was wondering if Sutter is a kind of Chipchura clone...

So how can we compare those players in term of:

Skills
Offensive game
Defensive game
Upside

Also, is there an NHL look alike in term of playing style?

Last edited:

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Sutter is a good all-around player, who plays in all 3 zones as to what I've heard, some also say he is alot more talented than his father... Good offensive skills, should be a solid two way second line center...

mlm

Mar 31, 2010
In my mock I considered Sutter for the Habs as well but then thought of Chipchura, hence MTL will select Petrecki:)

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Brandon received tons of ice time from his coach this year. While others on his team recieved periodical benchings Brandon never received any and would have benefited from that. His upside is his anticipation/hockey sense - he sees the play well and is a shooter, not one to pass to easily. His downside is his body stength and endurance. He stays out to long for shifts repeatedly and it shows. He had a great 1st half of the season but really tailled off in the second half and in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how he would do with a different, non-biased coach who made him earn his icetime.

I would venture to compare his style somewhat to Mike Grier's. His Dad had a stronger offensive game, I don't think Brandon will work his way to that level.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Sutter's skating has improved significantly since his Bantam/Midget AAA days (yes I'm from Red Deer).

I think he is a keeper. His demeanor is a lot different than the average agitiating Sutter. How he puts up with his Dad I'm not sure (yes I have a Brent Suutter issue!). I think he is a good bet to go anywhere's from 10-16!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How is Sutter's skating? If I had to put a knock on Chipchura, it would be his foot speed.

Chipchura's speed is underrated I think. Easily not the fastest, he's just got poor acceleration. A lot like Bonk, as he can skate, just doesn't get going quickly.

I think Chipchura had the most potential at the same age as Sutter (went lower because of injury), but now I think Sutter has bigger offensive upside, not great, just better. Chipchura has the best intangibles though and probably better defensively.

And no, I would not pick Sutter 12th. If these two are too similar, why would we want both? In other words, we don't need another 3rd line centre.

TC20

Dec 12, 2006
Mtl also has higgins who is a very similar player to chipchura so no point taking sutter and therell be better players at 12th

Munchausen

Mtl also has higgins who is a very similar player to chipchura so no point taking sutter and therell be better players at 12th

Que?

Higgins is developing into a fast, agressive and explosive goal scoring winger. Think more of a Jason Blake type.

Chipchura is a smart, somewhat physical 2-way playmaking center with a bellow average first step.

They don't have much in common outside of their hockey sense and leadership qualities.

I'm also of the opinion the 12th pick is too high for Sutter. The Habs might want to package their 2 first rounders to move up also depending on who falls in the top ten.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Que?

Higgins is developing into a fast, agressive and explosive goal scoring winger. Think more of a Jason Blake type.

Chipchura is a smart, somewhat physical 2-way playmaking center with a bellow average first step.

They don't have much in common outside of their hockey sense and leadership qualities.

I'm also of the opinion the 12th pick is too high for Sutter. The Habs might want to package their 2 first rounders to move up also depending on who falls in the top ten.

McKeens has him at #8, Red Line at #11 and CSS at #9 (NA Skaters).
I think Sutter is one of the more underated prospects on these boards (he is a Sutter after all, so he has to be a grinder...).

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Que?

Strangely, very time I've seen Sutter, he reminded me of Higgins in the way he plays the puck along the boards and how he uses his body to shield the puck. The major difference between the two is that Sutter has great vision to make a quick pass after taking control of the play, where Higgins will usually drive the net and shoot himself.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
The major difference between the two is that Sutter has great vision to make a quick pass after taking control of the play, where Higgins will usually drive the net and shoot himself.

I will 100% disagree with that - Sutter usually drives the net and shoots himself - his game does not revolving around his passing ability.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary will draft him if he's still there, I don't know if anyone could argue that, I could possibly see Calgary trading up a fex spots to get him, they will be picking around 15-17 if they get knocked out of the first round.

hockeyisdbest

Apr 3, 2007
Does anyone have a problem with the way Chipchura has developed?
He was the first overall pick in the WHL draft. His numbers in Jr. were good, but not 'first overall' spectacular. I saw him play at the World Jrs, and I simply wasn't impressed. Maybe it's cause I'm just a watcher. Is there something about him that sets him apart from other skilled players that I didn't see? Ie. Leadership skills, hockey sense

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Sutter>>> Chipchura

Better skater, better offensive upside and hockey sense, good heart, great work ethic and similar defensive ability, better hitter, will fight, bigger frame to grow into

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
If their is one thing that has become clear in the new NHL is that a GREAT center is GOLD. A center can always move to the wing but wingers can't move to center.

A GREAT goalie is THE most important player. Regular season and playoffs. The goalie takes the most time to develop. Most teams want top scoring in order to sell tickets but winning a cup is an other matter.

now the the Habs have Halak and Price, the Habs should just keep picking the best centers they can get their hands on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does anyone have a problem with the way Chipchura has developed?
He was the first overall pick in the WHL draft. His numbers in Jr. were good, but not 'first overall' spectacular. I saw him play at the World Jrs, and I simply wasn't impressed. Maybe it's cause I'm just a watcher. Is there something about him that sets him apart from other skilled players that I didn't see? Ie. Leadership skills, hockey sense

He's been tabbed as a future Captain so he's considered to have good leadership skills, wore the C for Team Canada at the wjc's 2 years ago.

In Hamilton he has been good in his rookie year. He excells on the PK and in his own end. He's hard working and smart, I'd like to see him play more physical but he can hit and has done well when he's dropped the gloves from the games I've seen. The problem is that he's on the slow side, lacks first step quickness, doesn't have that jump or an extra gear. He had a real nice goal on a penalty shot the week before, I was surprised to see him pull off such an impressive deke. He needs work on his shot though it's not very heavy although he seems to be more of passer, he can set up plays well. I was hoping for a little more offense from him this year, but he was playing more of a checking role in Hamilton with AJ Baines and Jonathan Ferland.

Some think he will make the Habs next year but I personally would be surprised to see him as a full timer. I could see him getting some games in on the bottom lines. I'd rather see him in Hamilton working on his offensive game as he lost almost a full year of develop due to injury with Prince Albert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad