Brandon sutter offensive potential?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We all know about his two way game, gritty game...well he's a sutter but what im wondering what offensive potential? Top 6 forward? 3rd line?

Are any WHL fans that can attest to grit and two way accumen? I've seen it questioned here and there. I worry that alot is assumed about this kid simply because of the name on the back of his sweater.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
Are any WHL fans that can attest to grit and two way accumen? I've seen it questioned here and there. I worry that alot is assumed about this kid simply because of the name on the back of his sweater.

No no. This kid is the real deal and I hope the Flames manage to draft him. The name on his sweater is what he is....a Sutter.

Definition of a Sutter - A hardworking 2-way player who has a big heart and a good set of hands. Can play on both the PP and PK. Versitile, good checker, and a leader.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No no. This kid is the real deal and I hope the Flames manage to draft him. The name on his sweater is what he is....a Sutter.

Definition of a Sutter - A hardworking 2-way player who has a big heart and a good set of hands. Can play on both the PP and PK. Versitile, good checker, and a leader.

Is this post indicative of what you've seen or of what you've heard?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

See, I disagree completely. He does work hard on the backcheck and is a pretty solid defensive player. But he doesn't throw his weight around at all, never fights, and is generally a pretty passive player. He'll rub out his man against the boards when he needs to, but without any real edge at all. As a player, he seems to be much more the 'quiet dedicated' type than the 'scrappy leader' type that all his uncles were. If his name wasn't Sutter, I'm absolutely convinced he'd have the 'big guy who needs to use his size better' tag.

To me, he's pretty much a pure finesse center whose combination of a nice frame and good vision give pretty attractive upside ... Mikko Koivu is a pretty similar player. But his skating is sketchy and his nosedive after New Year's this year was absolutely epic - 2 goals in his last 40 games leading into the draft.

If there's a 'prototype Sutter' in this draft from the WHL, it's probably Dana Tyrell.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i honestly dont think he will ever be a top 6 player in the NHL. i question he's offensive game. he had like 40-50 points this season. how are you going to be a scorer in the NHL when you cant do it in juniors. i dont think there are many players that scored under 50 points in their draft year in the CHL that ended up as top 6 players in the NHL.

luckoftheduck

Apr 5, 2007
Los Angeles
Well Ryan Getzlaf only scored 68 pts in 70 games of his draft year and he's now a franchise center in my mind so why couldn't Sutter who scored 57 pts. in 71 games become a 2nd line center?

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
See, I disagree completely. He does work hard on the backcheck and is a pretty solid defensive player. But he doesn't throw his weight around at all, never fights, and is generally a pretty passive player. He'll rub out his man against the boards when he needs to, but without any real edge at all. As a player, he seems to be much more the 'quiet dedicated' type than the 'scrappy leader' type that all his uncles were. If his name wasn't Sutter, I'm absolutely convinced he'd have the 'big guy who needs to use his size better' tag.

To me, he's pretty much a pure finesse center whose combination of a nice frame and good vision give pretty attractive upside ... Mikko Koivu is a pretty similar player. But his skating is sketchy and his nosedive after New Year's this year was absolutely epic - 2 goals in his last 40 games leading into the draft.

If there's a 'prototype Sutter' in this draft from the WHL, it's probably Dana Tyrell.

This is exactly correct. He is absolutely a first round type player only because of the name, and I am convinced that he will fall into the second round. There is nothing great about his game, he plays rather soft, he has checking centre like hands, he cannot skate too well. He is going to get a shot of course simply cuz his name, whoever drafts is going to disappointed when they see first hand what he is capable, or lack-there-of.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Well Ryan Getzlaf only scored 68 pts in 70 games of his draft year and he's now a franchise center in my mind so why couldn't Sutter who scored 57 pts. in 71 games become a 2nd line center?

because he is not getzlaf. not even close. getzlaf uses he's body a lot to create scoring chanses for himself in the nhl and he is much better stickhandler then sutter. i believe in the whole, because of the name thing. i think he will play in the NHL. he is that good, but i dont think he will be a top 6 player.

May 23, 2007
Calgary

Well, he once said he wanted to play like Iginla...(his favourite player) ...and I think he can do that if he fills out his frame.

I think if there was a prototype Sutter in this draft, it would be Colton Gillies or Akim Aliu.

ChumpyG

Jibbity jibbity
Feb 13, 2007
Portland, OR

To be perfectly honest, I've only seen him play once or twice when Red Deer has come to Portland. However, I don't remember him really "wowing" me. He's good (obviously), and can play the 2 way game, but as someone else said he doesn't seem to have the typical "Sutter-like" qualities. Now, Landon Ferraro (Ray's son) is a kid you might want to keep an eye on in the next year or two. I've only seen him play once this past season with Red Deer, but the kid can skate, and has a pretty sweet finishing touch. I think this coming season may be his draft year, but don't quote me on that.

quoted from MS (re: Sutter): "As a player, he seems to be much more the 'quiet dedicated' type than the 'scrappy leader' type that all his uncles were."

That's what I was trying to think of when I posted

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
To be perfectly honest, I've only seen him play once or twice when Red Deer has come to Portland. However, I don't remember him really "wowing" me. He's good (obviously), and can play the 2 way game, but as someone else said he doesn't seem to have the typical "Sutter-like" qualities. Now, Landon Ferraro (Ray's son) is a kid you might want to keep an eye on in the next year or two. I've only seen him play once this past season with Red Deer, but the kid can skate, and has a pretty sweet finishing touch. I think this coming season may be his draft year, but don't quote me on that.

quoted from MS (re: Sutter): "As a player, he seems to be much more the 'quiet dedicated' type than the 'scrappy leader' type that all his uncles were."

That's what I was trying to think of when I posted

im sorry. i had to quote you. landon ferraro is born in 91 and he is eligible for the 09 draft:p::)

AgentNaslund*

Sutter is nothing if not for the last name on his back. He is a career 4th liner. He does not have speed, he does not have skill, he does not have talent, he does not even have that much toughness, what the **** does he bring? Grabner may be kinda scared when he goes into the corners, but what he brings is, he is a lighting fast skater, that can put pucks in net. Sutter brings nothing to the team. I will be surprised if he gets picked in the 1st round.

13o13

Apr 12, 2007
yep. you are right. sorry about that. but still, 57 points isnt that good. i dont see top 6 in him.

Mkay, do you remember a guys named David Perron?
He only get 69pts on 51game last year (He was eligible last year) and he was'nt playing in the LHJMQ...
But now he got the potential to be a good top 6 foward...;)
So please....stop just looking at stats. :)

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Mkay, do you remember a guys named David Perron?
He only get 69pts on 51game last year (He was eligible last year) and he was'nt playing in the LHJMQ...
But now he got the potential to be a good top 6 foward...;)
So please....stop just looking at stats. :)

how do you know im just looking at stats. i have seen sutter play a feaw times and i wasnt impressed.

btw. what does this have to do with perron???

ChumpyG

Jibbity jibbity
Feb 13, 2007
Portland, OR
im sorry. i had to quote you. landon ferraro is born in 91 and he is eligible for the 09 draft:p::)

I specifically said to not NOT quote me!! :D
Thanks for doing my research for me. I'm sure I could have easily gone to the Red Deer website and looked it up, but there's that whole aversion to doing stuff to take into account. ;)

Fan of The Game

Apr 3, 2007
USA
I have a feeling he might turn out like a Tucker. I like the kid, he has a solid game. I would expect him to go in the 10-20 range. In terms of his career I think he needs some fine tuning in the AHL. Possibly a 50 to 60 point guy would be the max I could see of him. Just my two cents.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have a feeling he might turn out like a Tucker. I like the kid, he has a solid game. I would expect him to go in the 10-20 range. In terms of his career I think he needs some fine tuning in the AHL. Possibly a 50 to 60 point guy would be the max I could see of him. Just my two cents.

He doesn't play like a Sutter from the video I've seen, but then he only weighs 170. That might have been ok in the 1970s, but it doesn't fly today. He needs a lot of time to fill out.

13o13

Apr 12, 2007
how do you know im just looking at stats. i have seen sutter play a feaw times and i wasnt impressed.

btw. what does this have to do with perron???

Well i just told you this after read your other post post :
i honestly dont think he will ever be a top 6 player in the NHL. i question he's offensive game. he had like 40-50 points this season. how are you going to be a scorer in the NHL when you cant do it in juniors. i dont think there are many players that scored under 50 points in their draft year in the CHL that ended up as top 6 players in the NHL.

And than... i had to tell you the Perron case...
Anyways, Suter is playing in a tough league were the best scorer got only 93pts this year...so i think that 57 pts at his draft eligible year is not so bad and he could develop into a top 6 foward... that's it....:)

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Well i just told you this after read your other post post :

And than... i had to tell you the Perron case...
Anyways, Suter is playing in a tough league were the best scorer got only 93pts this year...so i think that 57 pts at his draft eligible year is not so bad and he could develop into a top 6 foward... that's it....:)

yeah well, i said that about he's stats because i dont get to watch every game of every prospect. i have seen him about 3-4 times and he never impressed me.

right now its imossible to know wich one of us are right. give it 10-15 years;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad