Player Discussion Brandon Sutter. Defensive Center. One More Year Remaining at $4.375 AAV (w/ M-NTC).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Larsson has an ugly long contract but at least he can still play for now. I worry about in a couple years. Could have to defensively suspect MEGA million guys back there (Myers AND Larsson). Hughes being Bobby Orr isn't going to change that.

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah agree - hold firm on Eriksson............we have the leverage here. He has a list of 2 teams........

Agreed. I would also rather ship Beagle out other than Sutter. The odds of Arizona being on Beagle's 5 team list is 1/5?

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Sure I'd prefer Beagle dumped over Sutter but you can't ignore cap hits of each if you're going to acquire a massive contract like Larsson. We're in tough as it is cap-wise and Larsson carries a large cap hit so ALOT of cap has to be moved out (every million helps).

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure I'd prefer Beagle dumped over Sutter but you can't ignore cap hits of each if you're going to acquire a massive contract like Larsson. We're in tough as it is cap-wise and Larsson carries a large cap hit so ALOT of cap has to be moved out (every million helps).
also have to consider term as Sutter comes off the books first, thus 20-21 might be more pain, but you get the benefit of it being off the books in 21-22 if it's Beagle that is moved.

Canucks have to plan for 21-22 since Hughes & Petey need new deals in 2021.

I see too much next year thinking from both fans and media.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

also have to consider term as Sutter comes off the books first, thus 20-21 might be more pain, but you get the benefit of it being off the books in 21-22 if it's Beagle that is moved.

Canucks have to plan for 21-22 since Hughes & Petey need new deals in 2021.

I see too much next year thinking from both fans and media.

Yep. That's what I am thinking. Sutter is in the last year of his contract. If he can stay healthy, he can also be moved at the deadline.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep. That's what I am thinking. Sutter is in the last year of his contract. If he can stay healthy, he can also be moved at the deadline.
The problem is that if Sutter stays healthy and has a decent season, the only way the Canucks would trade him at the deadline is if they're hopelessly out of playoff contention. And I think we can agree that isn't very likely. So the time to deal him is now, if there's anything out there that makes sense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The problem is that if Sutter stays healthy and has a decent season, the only way the Canucks would trade him at the deadline is if they're hopelessly out of playoff contention. And I think we can agree that isn't very likely. So the time to deal him is now, if there's anything out there that makes sense.
I have no issue moving him. I just don’t want to use his cap space to sign someone else for term until they take care of Petey and Hughes first.

Nov 1, 2011

How is that a problem?

In the scenario where he's playing well, and we're in a playoff spot, wouldn't you want to keep him?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How is that a problem?

In the scenario where he's playing well, and we're in a playoff spot, wouldn't you want to keep him?
No problem except that the guy is due $4.375m on the last year of his contract. Would you rather pay Sutter for one last hurrah season or free up his money to bring back Tanev, Markstrom or Tofoli?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sure. I'm on board for moving Sutter. But what we were talking about was the merits of moving Beagle instead of Sutter if given a choice. I rather move Beagle because he has more term left on his contract and he's older.

Reactions: MarkMM

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I wonder what he will get on his new contract next year in a flat cap era, $1 mill or less?

Or will he have a CONTRACT season and does above his crappy normal to get a BEEFY contract from some other Jim

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder what he will get on his new contract next year in a flat cap era, $1 mill or less?

Or will he have a CONTRACT season and does above his crappy normal to get a BEEFY contract from some other Jim
If contracts for Beagle, Roussel and Sutter were all up at the end of next season, they'd be lucky to catch on anywhere else at much beyond the league minimum. In fact I'd be shocked if Beagle even has another contract in his future. That's just how bad these signings were in the first place.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The problem is that Sutter can't stay healthy. His long fluid strides are noticeably missing. A healthy season from him could result in a 16-18 goal 30 point season.

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
If contracts for Beagle, Roussel and Sutter were all up at the end of next season, they'd be lucky to catch on anywhere else at much beyond the league minimum. In fact I'd be shocked if Beagle even has another contract in his future. That's just how bad these signings were in the first place.

What a nuclear take.

Nov 1, 2011
No problem except that the guy is due $4.375m on the last year of his contract. Would you rather pay Sutter for one last hurrah season or free up his money to bring back Tanev, Markstrom or Tofoli?

Real answer, depends on the amount and term of each of the players you mentioned.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
a month ago sutter looked like the only bottom six guy who could hold his head above water at es in the playoffs

still should be moved on but not over alternatives like beagle or roussel who have term

Reactions: mathonwy

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017

Sutter occasionally shows something of value, but both definately need to go. Heck we can ditch Beagle and sign Grabner for dirt cheap to kill penalties , he at least has some offense in him at the same age...Beagle is just such a black hole right now

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
OMG this guy is a bag of pucks. I'm more excited to get rid of him than I am LE and that says something...............I wouldn't even want him on my team for 700k let alone 4.2. I would much rather fill our bottom 6 with some youth then this overpaid veteran garbage we have on it. They've served their purpose - we learned how to win- punt as many of them as we can please and thank-you.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I dont think he's wrong. These players are aging and have slowed down. If they get contracts they will likely be 1 yr near league minimum.
I think that's right, but only because a LOT of middling players will be forced to take sub $1m contracts next couple years.

All 3 would get contracts. Sutter and Roussel are both decent quality players who could be third liners for a lower end team.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
a month ago sutter looked like the only bottom six guy who could hold his head above water at es in the playoffs

still should be moved on but not over alternatives like beagle or roussel who have term

I think everyone would prefer to move the latter two, but there's not a team in the NHL that wants them.

Sutter might not get you back more than a late round pick, but I think there are teams that can see him as a contributor. We're paying to get rid of any of Beagle, Eriksson, Roussel, Ferland, Benn, Myers...(Yay Benning!)

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I think that's right, but only because a LOT of middling players will be forced to take sub $1m contracts next couple years.

All 3 would get contracts. Sutter and Roussel are both decent quality players who could be third liners for a lower end team.
Sutter a decent quality player? Yeah, maybe for a few games here and there over the course of a full season.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Assuming Sutter could be moved if the Canucks retained 2M, leaving him with a 2.375 salary, this would be better than a buyout as he would be completely off the books next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad