Player Discussion Brandon Sutter. Defensive Center. One More Year Remaining at $4.375 AAV (w/ M-NTC).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
On exactly the day, everybody is piling on , and deciding to put the' boots in' on Sutter..He actually has a pretty good game.
Go figure.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Not too surprising. He usually has one good game per 10.
Ha ha this.

Its like clockwork and I was actually thinking of noting this in my previous posts.

Its why hes such a frustrating player and why I dont really buy the premise that Bonino is better at playing with good players AND worse at playing with anybody else.

Sutter has all the ability to be a better player. He makes some fantastic rushes and plays but only on occassion. With a bit more consitency he *could* be the player Benning signed him to be.

Reactions: MarkMM

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He does seem to improve as the games get less meaningful.

Maybe he is bad at handling the pressure and is able to relax once the games are not that important?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Maybe he is bad at handling the pressure and is able to relax once the games are not that important?
Are you even a fan?

Did you not hear Benning say "culture carrier"?

Its obvious what the problem is: Sutter being the culture carrying leader that he is has to use all his energy getting his team amped up for big games and is thus too tired to play well in big games.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It doesn't matter what the 2019 draft looked like. What matter was the 2016 draft. The 10 players picked between the two picks has no Hoglander. That year trading down made no impact.

I guess you can say Myers Edler Rousell Beagle Virtanen Eriksson costed the team Tanev Markstrom Toffoli and stecher as well

Markstrom Tanev was about term, schmidt and Holtby salary those two. Benning was too busy going after OLE, then Barrie to speak to Stecher. These players leaving have nothing to do with Sutter.

With toffoli, it was reported from TheAtheltic that they could of moved Sutter with 50% retained and trade Virtanen to resign Toffoli but they decided not too. A season ago Bothford reported that 3 or 4 teams were interested in Sutter. If they couldn't get rid of the contract. Sure you can blame the contract but they decided not too.

I appreciate your trying to support your argument but here's where I see it falling short:

1. In 2015 (when the picks were exchanged) there was very limited knowledge of the projection of 2nd and 3rd round picks. This is true a year in advance of the any draft including 2019. Sure there are early favorites and a lot of prognosticating. But there is no material different in one year vs the next in the likelihood of success of a particular draft class, especially once you get out of the top 10 picks. When they gave up the pick in 2015, the only value they could calculate would be based on general projections of draft success across years. In 2019 Hoglander was available at 40. And, to further challenge the conclusions that moving down 10 spots didn't mater, there are at least 3 NHLers that went in the next 10 after the 2nd rounder in 2016.

2. Absolutely agree with the bolded. Sutter was just one of the bad contracts that has resulted in the loss of significant assets. That doesn't strengthen the argument for Sutter. It reinforces the fact that management made a bad trade and doubled down when they gave Sutter an high $$ long term extension.

3. If the point is that they could have moved the contract at 50% retention then your argument already fails. I never said Sutter at $1.5M or even $2M was a bad contract. I said his contract was untradeable until now, with weeks left, maybe. They still might have to retain salary. Again, that confirms the poor decision to extend him on those terms.

As a general comment, it isn't strong to say "they could have ("have" not "of"...sorry, a pet peeve of mine) if they wanted to". That assumes you were in the room and knew all the terms of the proposal. If we've learned anything, reports in the press only know part of the story. Sure, they "could have" traded Sutter for a 1st round pick if they added Pettersson to the deal...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Nah. Don't think we can really draw any conclusions. But he tends to be much more productive when his team wins. This season, his possession stats suggest that he's better when the game is close or when his team is tied or behind than when his team has the lead. His career regular season average over 82 games is 16 goals and 31 points. His career playoff average over 82 games (smallish sample size) is 15 goals 30 points with some good playoff performances in the past. When healthy, his overall offensive production is also rather consistent. He is what he is. No need to twist the narrative to make him seem like a player who is noticeably better during garbage time.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Not a popular opinion but I’d take Sutter at $2 million to anchor the 4th line and PK.
To me there is a huge hole on this team at Center and I’ve never been high on Beagle. Ideally next year

1. EP40
2. ???
3. Horvat
4. Sutter

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not a popular opinion but I’d take Sutter at $2 million to anchor the 4th line and PK.
To me there is a huge hole on this team at Center and I’ve never been high on Beagle. Ideally next year

1. EP40
2. ???
3. Horvat
4. Sutter
Why not cut the cord and ride out beagles last year?

Re-signing Sutter would honestly force a lot of people into watching something else.

How the heck you signing a 2C?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

1. EP40
2. ???
3. Horvat
4. Sutter

I understand, but your point is best made if in the future, you use a different word instead of "anchor".

Reactions: Dab

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

1. EP40
2. ???
3. Horvat
4. Sutter

I just want Sutter to go away. Beagle's contract sucks, but he's a better player for the #4 C role and I don't hate him and it doesn't annoy me that he's on my team, as a person.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

1. EP40
2. ???
3. Horvat
4. Sutter

I don't trust Sutter to be healthy but if he can stay healthy I don't have a problem with Sutter on the bottom 6 at that price as he brings some versatility. The problem is that we still have Beagle and Roussel's contract on the books and bringing him back would just be more of the same when we are looking for ways to improve our bottom 6.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

1. EP40
2. ???
3. Horvat
4. Sutter

Surely there are other fourth line centres that could be signed instead?

This is kind of like resigning Eriksson to a $800,000 contract...sure maybe it's not the worst option for a bottom 6 winger, but why?

Reactions: Dab and vanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not to belabor the point, but I'm always wary of players who pick up the pace in a contract year.

Good on Sutter for being a bit better so far this season...... but Benning should still be beating the bushes for a trade. Re-signing him would be a colossal mistake imo.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Trade him at tdl for a pick/prospect and sign a cheap 3rd line UFA in the off season.

I like sutter but there’s no way you extend a guy that’s declining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad